Idea - DJs - Why don't we share our .asd files?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Yes please!
55%
No - stop wasting time and get on with Warping your own tracks!
45%

Total votes: 56

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:48 am

Warping is when I learn the song inside and out. It's when I pull out loops and samples from the song to play along with the song, sequence the video & lighting (easy with drag 'n drop Live clips), do a mini-master (if it needs it), get the key and tempo, decide what (if any) live percussion to use, make a looping intro (if it works with that song) and render with one warp marker at 1.1.1.

And all of that doesn't take very long with practice, dummy clips for the mini-master, Live clips for video and lighting, and keyboard shortcuts.
Last edited by hambone1 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:36 pm

cavern wrote:I agree with Inis. Warping songs isnt that time consuming for me...and if a song does take a long time to warp...that's just my edge over another DJ who is too lazy to do it.

There would be too many difficulties in that type of site. People would warp shit all wrong, or there would be trouble with copyright infringement, and the song database would have to be massive. Plus most ableton users would probably upload loads of trance or house tracks which I'm not interested in.
There is no problem with copyright as people are effectively the authors of the asd files they post - there is no music in an asd.

However crappy warping etc is definately likely, or even if not crappy, warped such that they only sound right against other stuff the same person has warped.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Khazul wrote:However crappy warping etc is definately likely, or even if not crappy, warped such that they only sound right against other stuff the same person has warped.
Yup - really, all the ALDJs would need to get together and determine a standard warping technique. It wouldn't be difficult - we'd just need to establish a file to all warp to (standard 4/4 kick, maybe?), and then decide which method to use.

Someone should drive this...

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Patch wrote:
Khazul wrote:However crappy warping etc is definately likely, or even if not crappy, warped such that they only sound right against other stuff the same person has warped.
Yup - really, all the ALDJs would need to get together and determine a standard warping technique. It wouldn't be difficult - we'd just need to establish a file to all warp to (standard 4/4 kick, maybe?), and then decide which method to use.

Someone should drive this...
Interesting you say a kick - ever tried warping against the click?

Dunno what the hell it is, but for the life of me I can never be satisfied with warps done against the click, so I allways warp against a specific kick in stylus RMX.
Nothing to see here - move along!

jpodtbc

Post by jpodtbc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:18 am

for all you djs who say it only takes 30 seconds to warp a track - well i guess you're all shitty house / trance / dj friendly music djs who've never tried to warp any kind of track that isn't already tempo locked. and i find that sad.

for those of you who see the potential of this (ie finding the .asd for something like weezer - buddy holly ripped from cd) i plan to build it. i have the knowledge and drive to do it, keep it free and impose quality control standards (user-rating system) on all user-submitted .asd files. i'm very particular about mine so i'd want everything accessible to be so as well.

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:50 pm

jpodtbc wrote:finding the .asd for something like weezer - buddy holly ripped from cd).
Isn't this song in a shitty 4/4 like you said? is it? :wink:

Now...I don't find it hard to warp against the click, as a musician I'm used to use a click, but I always check my warped songs against each other just to make sure they play well together. :D

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:01 pm

jpodtbc wrote:for all you djs who say it only takes 30 seconds to warp a track - well i guess you're all shitty house / trance / dj friendly music djs who've never tried to warp any kind of track that isn't already tempo locked. and i find that sad.
Becasue it would be less sad if they were warping pop music? ;) :lol:

Honestly, this would be a cool idea but it would be hard to really standardize due to how many different formats people get their tracks in. Not to mention a lot of people would probably warp the tracks half assed which would just lead to many of us snobs rewarping to accomidate.

jpodtbc

Post by jpodtbc » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:32 pm

Atomikat wrote:Isn't this song in a shitty 4/4 like you said? is it? :wink:
i'm not talking about the time signature. sheesh.

if they recorded the song to a click track that has an exact constant tempo then it would be an easy warp but bands generally don't do that. how about 70s funk tracks? i have yet to encounter one that is an easy warp. i'm having to usually warp every snare or even every quarter note just to keep the sound from wavering.

the hope is that, for a lot of these kinds of tracks, most of us will have identical sound files to correspond. does this sound unreasonable?

misteron

Post by misteron » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:44 am

If you are passionate about the idea (and it sounds like you are) then it doesn't even matter if it will be successful, you have no choice but to do it.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

kpa

Post by kpa » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 am

i would agree with what hambone said on this, and would rather warp the tracks myself so that i could figure out the best parts and sort of engineer a re-edit whilst warping. i use phatcontrollers dj template which has 3 launch-slots assigned per track, so i have four clips spaces. this means i can have different sections ready to drop for a 'on-the-fly' remix/re-edit. i think that this would be lost if someone else were warping the track, or at least i would have to go through the track and do i my self in the warped track.

for people who just play a track from beginning to end i can see a benefit in the idea, but people who dj a track (or the majority of their tracks) straight from the start to the end are to an extent not getting the most from ableton.

just my 2 cents though. also the point made that the asd has to fit wav perfectly will probably be the make or break of the idea.

kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 pm

try autowarping a breakcore song or some idm.
yep, good indeed. -.-

jpodtbc

Post by jpodtbc » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:57 am

kpa wrote:i use phatcontrollers dj template
phat conductor? yea he's got some ableton template skills for sure. i gotta learn some more yet before knowing how to do that stuff but i'm heading in that direction for sure.

anyway i wanna / gotta give this idea a try. at least try to demo it out and see what the issues are.

Sonny D

Post by Sonny D » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:25 pm

barstu wrote:There are now a number of online music sellers offering pre warped tracks for Ableton, so there must be some demand. I think if people were forced to state the track's length (in time) when they upload an ASD, it might work. Presumably other DJing apps like Traktor & Deckadance have similair meta files that could shared?
Can you tell me what retailers offer ASD files with their MP3s or WAVs? I would like to buy my music from them.

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:34 am

^
|

why don't you just pay monkey in your closet for sets......then push the spacebar and stare at all the speaker tweaking 16 year olds dancing because of the drugs and not your shitty set you paid for. No one will ever know......except the REAL Heads who are leaving the dance floor because the set sounds like everyother 1 hr set from people like you who have money to waste on preworked audio. The fact alone that you/anybody would pay for warped tracks really gets to me......

this is fucking music.....music is from the heart not some website that takes wanna be trust fund musicians money to give them the edge over other DJs.......thats the only point i see in selling/sharing something like an .asd./

DJing is already controversial b/c DJs just mix preexisting tracks, don't make it more cheesy by selling a warped song template.

Nuff Sed
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

blitit

Post by blitit » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:32 pm

its not a very good idea Actually. First, you have to have the exact same audio files in order for the warp file to work. And sometimes it doesnt work that way. I have just transferred all my "dj songs" to a new laptop and for some reason i had to rewarp most of them cause it losted their warping (i saved and all that stuff) So i dont think it should work fine all the times.

Warping is very easy and it helps to get you to know the tracks.