Samples wobbly - please help!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
headquest

Samples wobbly - please help!

Post by headquest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:36 am

Hi - this is my first post on the Ableton forum!

I am having a problem with previewing samples in Live 4. I want to choose a bass sound and move it into Simpler. But when I listen to the preview, it turns out that all sounds have a wobble to them.

I have checked that the samples themselves are ok by testing them in both Tracktion and Adobe Audition - they sound fine in other programmes.

Does anyone have some advice on this - because Simpler is unusable to me at present!

Thanks in advance!

krushing

Post by krushing » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:17 pm

The wobble is probably because Live previews all samples as warped/bpm-matched (to make picking drum loops et al a bit easier on-the-fly). They should sound fine in Simpler, or in the arrangement window with warp turned off...

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:33 pm

Thanks for that - explains everything.

I just tested your solution, and sure enough the samples do sound fine once they are in Simpler and triggered by a MIDI clip :)

As you can no doubt tell, I am a "newbie" so far as Live goes... I bought Live 2 on the strength of reviews at the time but hardly used it, mostly because I bought Reason 2.5 and Tracktion within a few months of each other...

Now that Live 4 has MIDI and VSTi hosting I am looking at using it as my main host, so I'm just in the process of really learning the ropes. (I bought Audition in the meantime too, so I've been on a steep learning curve all around!!)

Thanks again!

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:37 pm

P.S.

Is there a way to turn off the Warp when previewing single-hit samples?

Also, I noticed that samples are previewed at 16-bit audio - can this be adjusted, and what bit-depth is the internal audio engine working at? (32-bit in Audition, and I set audio recording at 24-bit to suit my Edirol interface)

hat

Post by hat » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:41 pm

headquest wrote:P.S.

Is there a way to turn off the Warp when previewing single-hit samples?
I'd like to know as well. As far as I know, it's not possible, though I think it would come in handy for certain projects. I wouldn't mind hearing some samples in their original state while previewing, then decide what to do to them.

headquest

Post by headquest » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:45 pm

Exactly.

Can anyone help?

SinisterDexter

Post by SinisterDexter » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:23 pm

There are 2 ways I use to get around this when using loops that sound wobbly. One is to set the transient detection in clip properties from the default 1/16 to 1/8 or 1/4. Where this still doesn't sound ideal, set the warp type from the default beats to tones or textures.