Prefuse 73 style vocal edits.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zordon

Prefuse 73 style vocal edits.

Post by zordon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:51 am

Trying to do those crazy vocal edits ala squarepusher,prefuse, and machinedrum. I keep messing with beat repeat clip offset but I can never get them to sound as streamlined as the ones in this vid. Particularly the BRRRRRRRR parts, if that makes sense. I think prefuse uses an mpc, must have been a bitch to do all that editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUTEd3OmIK0
Wake, work, sleep.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:13 am

Check the Sampler video with Robert Henke, you might find some inspiration there. I fear it involves some editing if you wanna sound like them, hehe.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:40 am

i love that track
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:02 pm

I listened to a Perfuse 73 record yesterday and it sounded like a more labor intensive workflow to me. Seemed like a linear recorder (pro tools, logic, maybe even tape) with lots of mpc + vinyl + and perhaps hardware sampler edits. I'm just guessing though. Great music.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:26 pm

I think he used an MPC for that entire album. so you dont have as many options as something like Live. sounds like he just chopped up a vocal phrase, then probably made some sort ( micro loops as well, then assigned to pads and jammed on that.
Ou can do this quickly with the slice feature in Live 7. then go in to the individual slices and make some really short loops. then play...But theres tons of other stuff you can do in Live after you have the vocal phrase chopped up that you couldnt do easily on an MPC...

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 am

Yes, he was using mostly, his MPC 2000XL and maybe some live instrumentation here n there back then.

Specifically for One Word Extinguisher, he heavily used his 2000XL. I read an interview where he was talking about making the album. He said it took him something like a year of non-stop work to create the album. He claims that he became extremely reclusive and almost turned into a hermit while making the album. Supposedly, he disconnected his phone and didn't talk or see anyone during that year so he could focus solely on creating the album.

The End of Biters is one of my favorite Prefuse 73 songs. How he came up and put together such an incredible track is mind-boggling. It does sound like it was probably extremely labor-intensive, alot of copying chopping re-sampling (not even sure if the 2000XL has a re-sample function) and heavy use of Note Repeat I'm guessing.

I heard he got rid of his MPC not too long ago and now uses alot of software and live instrumentation. I know his Savath y Savalas involves mostly live instruments. One of his Savath songs was suppedly recorded in his hotel room using just Pro-Tools, a microphone, a guitar, and a laptop. I forgot what song it was but I know it was a song that he made for his son.

Whether or not any of this is true is beyond me, this is just stuff that I remember reading in interviews.

see the light

Post by see the light » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:48 am

Oh sweet some Prefuse heads on here!

I read he departed from Warp Recs recently which is kinda wierd, they've been there from the start...

you should all look at Prefuse reads The books album in which he remixed the entire Books back catalouge. My favourite work of his by a long way.

In terms of vocal chopping, there is absolutly no point in using any of the 'auto glitch' plug ins for vocals - i've been doing some of this recently, I like to chop up the vocals and put across the drum rack slots then literally play them.
www.soundcloud.com/passerines

Audio Fuck Jiggery since 2005

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:17 am

Did no one else find the song really irritating? He spent a year doing that? What a waste of a year.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 am

I like using Fast Efx to get loads of different stutters - bounce them out, then slice them all up by hand and rearrange them and use panning, delay, reverb, some reverses etc to pull it all together.

kraze

Post by kraze » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:58 pm

The key to get those amazing edits is to run the vocal through a bunch of fx-stutter effects for a few minutes, then listen back and go crazy with the scissors, arranging and making micro-edits (reversing, pitching, panning). Live does this very very good and smoothes out the rapid-fire cuts just perfect. Loading these up in a drum-rack and playing them mpc-style is always a trip.

A key trick prefuse does quite often is doubling up random parts of words with an oddly pitched copy. A way to do this is to bounce down the vocal channel to a new track, add a constant pitch effect, chop out 80% and add a delay.

Tohtruck

Post by Tohtruck » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:44 pm

^^^ Some good ideas.

Delux, Prefuse isn't for everyone I guess. I find almost all of his work extremely interesting and unique despite whether I like it or not. For the most part I enjoy most of his stuff but I can see how some of his songs can be kind of irritating . They're very experimental when it comes to trip-hop and even more so when it comes to hip-hop.

He spent a year making that album. But he got so much material that he also released an EP with songs that didn't make the cut on "One Word Extinguisher," called "Extinguished."

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Great track. I can actually hear the one that comes after it in my head right now. Listened to that album so many damn times. As far as the technique, I would absolutely agree that using Ableton's slice feature is the way to go on this one, especially since you can tell it to only slice on warp markers.

- Nick

makehaste

Post by makehaste » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:30 am

here is how i think you can do what he is doing in that track

1. put abletons gate plug on your vocal track
2. inable the sidechain input for the gate
3. select your drum track as the sidechain input
4. set attack ,hold, relase and threshold pramaters accordinly till you get the appropriate cut up vocal sound you are looking for
5. once it starts to sound good buss the output of the vocal track to a new audio track
and record the gated vocal on another track
6.once recorded zoom in and find the last sylable of the word you want to stutter
cut and paste that sylable back to back to back till it does that "bbbbbb" stutter
7. side chained gates are my new favorite tool

go forth and prosper

Marx

Post by Marx » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:50 am

The way I do my vocal edits is to beat repeat on straight Quarter notes then Option+Edit from there. I have a Reaktor Ensemble that does edIT tyoe mashes but it's uncontrollable.

If I were you I'd do straight option+e's until you get EXACTLY how you want it.

check out some of my voice edits...... I do it tweaked out beat repeats then A LOT of option+e's ................http://www.myspace.com/subharmoniks

kraze

Post by kraze » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:24 am

Marx wrote: I have a Reaktor Ensemble that does edIT tyoe mashes but it's uncontrollable.
Most mash/stutter-fx are, that's why i bounce down a few minutes of live manipulating. Digging through it and going nuts with editing is still something you have to spend alot of work with, but you also get some nice cuts you never would've thought of doing by hand.