Should track settings be on the left?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

In arrangement view should track settings be on the left like every other DAW?

yes
26%
no
74%

Total votes: 35

beats me

Should track settings be on the left?

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:03 am

I think this has bugged me in a subliminal way and I have no idea why Ableton put the track settings in arrangement view on the right side other than to be different. Visually it just doesn't flow with me or make sense. My eyes want to go to either the center or the left, maybe out of habit, but I never get used to it. It creates tension in my life in an otherwise blissful existence.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:04 am

turn your monitor upside down.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:15 am

I've never even thought about that before. It doesn't bother me.

I have thought that they should perhaps alter the look of the mixer settings in Arrangement View so that they look uniform with the same controls in Session View. Why should the same controls have two different looks?

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:16 am

makes sense to me as it goes with the signal flow - the mixer etc all follows what's on the track

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:21 am

It used to bug me at first, but now I'm used to it.

Bagle

Post by Bagle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:28 am

never ever thought about it..
see i dont use the arrange view for track settings i use the session view

makes sense for me, i like the browser on the left..
i find it easier to pull to the left and well cos i look at the browser more then i do track settings on the right
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:29 am

damn you to hell for bringing it up! i've never thought about it either...until now :wink:
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:45 am

Hm, so far nobody else thinks it should be moved to the left. How about a compromise and Live gives you the option to have it appear on the left? But I guess for compromise you are going to have to get a better vote than 100% of the people saying no.

Looks like forge has the only viable explanation that it follows the signal path but if that's the case then shouldn't the tracks scroll to the right feeding the settings and showing you what is coming up instead of what has passed. Explain that one buddy!

Ah crap, I think I even confused myself there. Fuck it, posting.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:33 am

beats me wrote:Hm, so far nobody else thinks it should be moved to the left. How about a compromise and Live gives you the option to have it appear on the left? But I guess for compromise you are going to have to get a better vote than 100% of the people saying no.

Looks like forge has the only viable explanation that it follows the signal path but if that's the case then shouldn't the tracks scroll to the right feeding the settings and showing you what is coming up instead of what has passed. Explain that one buddy!

you confused me too

but the more compelling reason I think is the browser

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:44 am

forge wrote:
beats me wrote:Hm, so far nobody else thinks it should be moved to the left. How about a compromise and Live gives you the option to have it appear on the left? But I guess for compromise you are going to have to get a better vote than 100% of the people saying no.

you confused me too

but the more compelling reason I think is the browser
You're such a tool for Ableton!

:lol:

But like a female, I don't really want answers or solutions. I just want to argue the point. :wink:

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:49 am

Dammit, ToneDeft, I just smeared fingerprints all over my screen trying to quash the bug crawling on it!
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

peterneo

Post by peterneo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:37 am

It should be user define-able. The Session's Mixer would be a nice addition as well. Maybe have a tab for it or something at the bottom.

Olga

Re: Should track settings be on the left?

Post by Olga » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:47 am

beats me wrote:I think this has bugged me in a subliminal way and I have no idea why Ableton put the track settings in arrangement view on the right side other than to be different. Visually it just doesn't flow with me or make sense. My eyes want to go to either the center or the left, maybe out of habit, but I never get used to it. It creates tension in my life in an otherwise blissful existence.

And this is the reason why you've sold - 10 million on beat port? Grow a pair and get over it. Jesus, I thought only bitches like myself complained about this nonsense. Flow, tension, sense? Get some. Adapt.

forge

Re: Should track settings be on the left?

Post by forge » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:51 am

Olga wrote:
beats me wrote:I think this has bugged me in a subliminal way and I have no idea why Ableton put the track settings in arrangement view on the right side other than to be different. Visually it just doesn't flow with me or make sense. My eyes want to go to either the center or the left, maybe out of habit, but I never get used to it. It creates tension in my life in an otherwise blissful existence.

And this is the reason why you've sold - 10 million on beat port? Grow a pair and get over it. Jesus, I thought only bitches like myself complained about this nonsense. Flow, tension, sense? Get some. Adapt.
please allow for boredom, mild humour and the right to discuss frivolous inanity

jamester

Post by jamester » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:54 am

The track info should be on the left, the browser on the right. It is not debatable in any way, it is simply a FACT! :wink:

All tracks start from the left, and flow left -> right. How does it make any sense to then put each track's "home base" on the right? It doesn't. It's quirky for the sake of quirk and I don't like it. Never have, never will. And just because Tracktion decided to copy doesn't make it ok; all other daws have it on the left, as it should be.
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge