Installing Live suite content on a second internal HD OSX

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
midiwife

Installing Live suite content on a second internal HD OSX

Post by midiwife » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:14 am

I need to install Live Suite on a studio of Mac G5s.

My problem is that the primary HD on most of the machines has only limited space left so I don't want to put the content for Live Suite on the primary HD.

Has anyone used a second internal HD to install the content? I'm guessing this is possible at least?

I've read other threads about problems folk have with USB powered external drives when using laptops but I can't see these problems necessarily relating to using a second internal HD.

Can anyone please confirm that it's at least possible to designate a destination (on another drive) for the Live Suite content? And if anyone has tried it on an internal, have they had any issues?

Many thanks for any help.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 am

You can install the Library wherever you want.
Internal drive - I have done it with Windows
External Drive - I have 1 FW and 1 USB drive with different Libraries on it (Macbook)
You can switch Library by choosing the one I need in Preferences-

- Hope it helps
- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

midiwife

Post by midiwife » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:45 am

Many thanks Pasha,

Great to hear from someone who's done this.

Also, I'll be installing on a Macbook and I'll probably have to put the content on an external HD for that too. No urgency for this yet but I'll scout around for advice on what external HD. I've got an unopened WD 250Gb Go external USB2 drive which I may give a go. I guess that even if it's not up to it, I can reinstall the library at a later date on another drive....

Thanks again.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:10 pm

midiwife wrote:Many thanks Pasha,

Great to hear from someone who's done this.

Also, I'll be installing on a Macbook and I'll probably have to put the content on an external HD for that too. No urgency for this yet but I'll scout around for advice on what external HD. I've got an unopened WD 250Gb Go external USB2 drive which I may give a go. I guess that even if it's not up to it, I can reinstall the library at a later date on another drive....

Thanks again.
'reinstall' is equal to copy the library to the other drive and then change Ableton preferences accordingly. I have done it several times by now. Got a self-powered drive to hook when I'm traveling and a faster desktop drive to use in doors.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

midiwife

Post by midiwife » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:24 pm

That's very reassuring.

Thanks again Pasha,

All the best.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:37 pm

midiwife wrote:That's very reassuring.

Thanks again Pasha,

All the best.
For you too! 8)
Mac Studio M1

three

Post by three » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:49 pm

I use a similar setup - my library is on an external drive, and it works wonderfully.

One question for you guys: have any of you found a way to make a global setting for a project to always copy all files to its own directory? I can do it manually, but I have having to remember to do that.

The reason is that, although I don't carry this external drive everywhere, I almost always have my computer with me, and often end up wishing I could tweak part of a track right when it occurs to me, or show someone else what I'm working on, or whatever.

Thanks for any ideas,

Chris

spkey

Post by spkey » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:50 am

I have Ableton's library in a different HD than my system. This HD also hosts all my samples and VST's.

@three,

Maybe you could try some kind of backup facility?

three

Post by three » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:02 am

spkey wrote: @three,

The problem is that I only want to carry those samples that are used in my sets around on my laptop's internal hard drive. I have my live sets on that, and the library on an external drive.

What I'm hoping for is a way to globally tell live to *always* collect samples into the sets.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:58 am

three wrote:

The problem is that I only want to carry those samples that are used in my sets around on my laptop's internal hard drive. I have my live sets on that, and the library on an external drive.

What I'm hoping for is a way to globally tell live to *always* collect samples into the sets.
... Unless you're using Session Drums or EIC. In that case you'll collect gigabytes of replicated stuff. That's why the concept of File Management comes handy. You can choose whether to collect samples from library or not, just to save you space. Alternatively you can freeze the track with SD or EIC and carry the frozen sample with you.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1

three

Post by three » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Pasha wrote:
three wrote:

... Unless you're using Session Drums or EIC. In that case you'll collect gigabytes of replicated stuff. That's why the concept of File Management comes handy. You can choose whether to collect samples from library or not, just to save you space. Alternatively you can freeze the track with SD or EIC and carry the frozen sample with you.
I use almost no samples outside of hihats and whatever I've specifically recorded for the track. I don't like the way synthesized hats sound. So it's not that many gigabytes, less than 100MB per track is my best guesstimate.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:14 pm

three wrote:
Pasha wrote:
three wrote: The problem is that I only want to carry those samples that are used in my sets around on my laptop's internal hard drive. I have my live sets on that, and the library on an external drive.

I use almost no samples outside of hihats and whatever I've specifically recorded for the track. I don't like the way synthesized hats sound. So it's not that many gigabytes, less than 100MB per track is my best guesstimate.
I see... :wink:
Mac Studio M1