How to use Kaoss Pad KP3 w/ Live 7 (i searched)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thoffir

Re: How to use Kaoss Pad KP3 w/ Live 7 (i searched)

Post by thoffir » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:26 pm

msodrew wrote: - How do you setup the KP3 to be a MIDI controller?
that video can be some inspiration::
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=hvz8BX2Y5go

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » Sun May 05, 2013 4:25 pm

I am currently "testing" a KP3. I run Ableton 9, I would love to use the KP3 as a MIDI XY touchpad. Unfortunately Ableton 9 won't pick up MIDI from the KP3 no matter what I do!!! It won't show up in the MIDI Prefs and the little mIDI light won't blink. What gives?

QUOTe:
In "EXT CTRL" mode, KP3 acts as a MIDI controller. It has eight virtual sliders, fourteen keys, one slider and volume. These controllers are assignable to any MIDI notes or CCs using KP3-Editor (PC software).

No it doesn't & no it won't! But here is what I'm thinking: My in & out prefs don't show up, instead all I see is "Automap MIDI" and "Automap Propellerhead."

Could my Automap be blocking the KP and only letting the other instruments (all of them Novation) thru?

73*

Post by 73* » Sun May 05, 2013 4:47 pm

woodswalker wrote:Ableton 9 won't pick up MIDI from the KP3 no matter what I do!!! It won't show up in the MIDI Prefs and the little mIDI light won't blink. What gives?...Could my Automap be blocking the KP and only letting the other instruments (all of them Novation) thru?
I don't see how automap would be disabling/hiding the KP3 midi ports, I have two KP3's and both show up and work fine in Live 9, although I don't have any Novation products.

Have you installed the Korg MIDI drivers (for connecting via USB)? Have you tried to connect the KP3 via regular MIDI cables? Install the KP3 Editor software which will allow you to test and confirm that you're getting two-way communication between the KP3 and your computer.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » Sun May 05, 2013 5:09 pm

73* wrote:
woodswalker wrote:Ableton 9 won't pick up MIDI from the KP3 no matter what I do!!! It won't show up in the MIDI Prefs and the little mIDI light won't blink. What gives?...Could my Automap be blocking the KP and only letting the other instruments (all of them Novation) thru?
>I don't see how automap would be disabling/hiding the KP3 midi ports, I have two KP3's and both show up and work fine in Live 9, although I don't have any Novation products.

>Have you installed the Korg MIDI drivers (for connecting via USB)? Have you tried to connect the KP3 via regular MIDI cables? Install the KP3 Editor software which will allow you to test and confirm that you're getting two-way communication between the KP3 and your computer.
Yes I installed the Korg MIDI drivers. Also tried MIDI cables. opened the Editor, it lets me set CC numbers. However when I clicked 'transfer' it said "KP3 not found".

When I open Ableton, KP3 does not show up in MIDI sync under control surfaces and the light does not blink.

How did you get the KP3 to show up in your Prefs dialog? Do you use Automap? It is a novation product. All my other instrs are Novation. Automap MIDI does show up as an in/out port. But I don't see any other port designations, except for my other instruments. I wonder if everything has to go thru Automap first.

73*

Post by 73* » Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 am

woodswalker wrote:Yes I installed the Korg MIDI drivers. Also tried MIDI cables. opened the Editor, it lets me set CC numbers. However when I clicked 'transfer' it said "KP3 not found".

When I open Ableton, KP3 does not show up in MIDI sync under control surfaces and the light does not blink.

How did you get the KP3 to show up in your Prefs dialog? Do you use Automap? It is a novation product. All my other instrs are Novation. Automap MIDI does show up as an in/out port. But I don't see any other port designations, except for my other instruments. I wonder if everything has to go thru Automap first.
It won't show up under 'control surfaces', but it should be listed under MIDI Ports. Automap is proprietary to Novation, and it should have absolutely nothing to do with your KP3. It really sounds like either the drivers for the KP3 did not install or you are overlooking them in the lists somehow (they may show up as KORG-USB or something similar). The Kaoss Pad Editor will automatically connect to a KP3 via USB, however if you are connecting with standard MIDI cables you'll need to select the I/O ports that the unit is connected to before trying to send or receive data to the KP3. It works well enough that I'm able to use two KP3s on the same system (selecting whichever unit I need to sync from the editor menu). This has been consistent across multiple operating systems (Win XP, Win7 64bit and OSX 10.7.5). Are you on a MAC or PC? More info about your system will be helpful.

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 am

>It won't show up under 'control surfaces', but it should be listed under MIDI Ports.

Nope. Not listed under anything.

I even tried fooling Ableton by selecting the one Korg device that is in its list. I forget what it is called. That didn't work either.

>It really sounds like either the drivers for the KP3 did not install

I don't know why, as I installed everything Korg had for download. "Driver tools 1.14 R6" And something that was dated Feb 2013.

>or you are overlooking them in the lists somehow (they may show up as KORG-USB or something similar).

Nope. nothing in there but my usual instruments plus Automap.

>It works well enough that I'm able to use two KP3s on the same system

Maybe mine is just broken. I got it from someone who bought it at a swap meet, and never had the time to 'get it working'. Maybe it's just defective.

>Are you on a MAC or PC? More info about your system will be helpful.

OK. Windows 7, Ableton 9, Tascam Audio interface, Novation SLMKIi and launchpad.

I appreciate your help by the way! Thanks

laura