A friendly reminder....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:52 am

lola wrote:Why not make this forum registered ableton users only, where everyone can read, but only registered users can post?
Maybe that way it get's more music related again?

Well...dunno....just an idea...don't kill me :)

But a lot of potential customers are trying to find info from other users....
too many lasers...

lola

Post by lola » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:56 am

j2j wrote:
lola wrote:Why not make this forum registered ableton users only, where everyone can read, but only registered users can post?
Maybe that way it get's more music related again?

Well...dunno....just an idea...don't kill me :)

But a lot of potential customers are trying to find info from other users....
They still can read posts and search trough them
Maybe it's a bit radical, but now you get trolls, spammers (once in a while)
Anyone who has the idea to fuck up this forum, can join with as many nicks they want at this time.
That way you won't need much moderation (i think) and the abes can sleep tight :D

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:03 am

NorthernMonkey wrote:
kuniklo wrote:It takes a spineless majority to bring the whole thing down. Stand tall brothers.
Fixed.
You're so right. If only more people had the courage to play anonymous pottymouth on internet forums.

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:06 am

Machinesworking wrote: If you don't like it, find another thread, or moderated forum. The fact that most people are pretty civil here, without moderation, is cool to me.
If the forum defecators confined themselves to their own threads I'd just ignore them but they show up everywhere.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 am

kuniklo wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: If you don't like it, find another thread, or moderated forum. The fact that most people are pretty civil here, without moderation, is cool to me.
If the forum defecators confined themselves to their own threads I'd just ignore them but they show up everywhere.
OK not to get too into this, I'm pretty busy ATM, but moderation does just that, makes everything moderate. YOU seem to like that I, do not.

I'm not saying I like worthless name calling, or derailed threads, but I can't stand the opposite even more. There are plenty of boards out there with forced civility, banning, and codes of conduct. The off topic stuff does NOT go away with those boards, it just gets into horribly boring office humor and good natured ribbing etc. that fills the spaces on this board where an OT political discussion takes place, or some flame war about nothing usually, or some pretty cool debate that leaves both sides thinking about the others opinion. That stuff is all replaced with stupid office jokes, and other 'civil' humor that does nothing at all for me.

There are plenty of places on the web for you to PM some mod about bounces potty mouth, or TD calling you a noob, or.... this is one place where you're not forced into any acts of civility you don't want to. Knotkranky said it best, and I'll add to the analogy here, it's a working class bar, not a gentleman's social club, and I'm certain you can guess which venue would have rougher language, the occasional fight, and moments of inspired madness, and which venue I prefer. 8)

dirtycode

Post by dirtycode » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:32 am

2 Steps to a much healthier Ableton forum.

1]
Ban b0unce

2]
Rename "General", to "OT"

baddabing

j2j

Post by j2j » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:53 am

I don't think we need to rename the general forum... cause it is like, "genera," and a lot of music is discussed here...

which is good.

:D

I also think, bounce, has been banned. he hasn't posted again. And he really wore out his welcome. I don't judge him, but he was very pointless.

Had no goals... etc...
too many lasers...

jonathanm

Post by jonathanm » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:43 am

Machinesworking wrote: OK not to get too into this, I'm pretty busy ATM, but moderation does just that, makes everything moderate. YOU seem to like that I, do not.
Cmon, this isn't what he's saying at all!
I'm not saying I like worthless name calling, or derailed threads, but I can't stand the opposite even more.
Who said it has to be one or the other of such extreme opposites? Having no moderation doesn't have to degenerate into a complete lack of respect for anybody & anything, and nor does having a mod hit the delete key when there's pointless racism, endless trolling etc mean the end of liberty and the prelude to a police state.

It is literally a handful of very active posters who this applies to. Most of them can even be quite funny sometimes - I'm sure they can still manage to be funny without acting like 13 year olds. I have been in hundreds of working class bars all over the world. Most people in them have plenty of respect for the people around them whatever they're discussing. But there's often a handful of knackers who find humour in provoking or upsetting other people. In most working class bars they get their asses barred fast.

Working class bars is serious business.

J

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:53 am

:roll:
spreader of butter

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:01 am

nod to MW.

I don't want anybody banned. Particularly b0unce.

And to those who can't wrap there heads around controlling themselves as readers
and reactors,... time to put your big boy pants on.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:04 am

I hate to be the one to say it, and maybe it's already been said in this thread (I couldn't bring myself to read every page), but if you think it's bad here, go try and find someone intelligent on a myspace forum...you'll probably find a few, but they are a minority at best, and there are thousands of trolls online there, whole communities of trolls just waiting for someone new to come along for a flamefest. Personally, I like the tech talk here in these forums, and with any forum, you can usually tell if a thread is even worth reading by just looking at who started the topic and what the topic of a thread is.

I would say that the situation here is actually pretty good, in comparison to myspace - try it out if you don't believe me. Between spam, the forums that are entirely populated by trolls (pick any music forum), and pretty much being totally ignored by administration, I would say that everyone here has it pretty good and if you don't like someone, just don't respond.

I lurk here a lot, I read what I think is interesting, download patches that sound like they're worth a shot, and follow links posted by people who I see more and more have something to offer, and it adds up to a good experience. I've seen bullshit posting by a couple of people, and don't interact with them, and I see other people encouraging troll behavior, and stay away from them, too, just to not attract trolls to myself. That and I either don't talk about stuff I don't know about, or admit I'm not totally sure about what I'm talking about before anyone else has the chance to point it out, and just doing those things would probably save a lot of people whatever grief they feel they are receiving.

This is all just one persons opinion, though - take it for what it's worth, but if you think it's tough here, you should check into the myspace forums for a minute; you'll be back, quick-like, promise.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:09 am

Abes,
please ban me!
in front of everybody,
but PM me first so that I can like resist kick and curse.

(supposed to be a huge shortcut to getting with the ladies ) 8)
(but let me back in after, say, three months, cool :wink: .)

ok seriously, who doesn't know the golden rules by now:
1. click on what interests you
2. post ideas that contribute somehow: +1 if it's about a subject you command.
3. don't feed the local trolls.

it's a simple algorithm ... why do you think you need overlords? why?
let's do this.
-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:42 am

knotkranky wrote:There's only one move that takes little community effort and solves most problems. Don't Hijack. It ain't cool. Let the OP own his/her thread and call the shots for it. Let the verbal and pic heavies start and carry their own threads too, but know what to expect. If anybody can argue why Hijacks are fair game, i'd like to hear it.
:!:

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:18 am

Mesmer wrote:...
ok seriously, who doesn't know the golden rules by now:
1. click on what interests you
2. post ideas that contribute somehow: +1 if it's about a subject you command.
3. don't feed the local trolls.

it's a simple algorithm ... why do you think you need overlords? why?
let's do this.
-h
Hi Mesmer, even if people followed your golden rules, it wouldn't help much because for #1 even on-topic posts are dragged down by uncivilised and disrespectful behaviour, and for #3 the local trolls don't need feeding to prosper as evidenced by post counts in the 100s or even 1000s for some users who can't seem to behave decently.

Even the simplest rule for a civilised forum...
Robert Henke wrote:This is a forum about music,
about music software,
and about related topics.

This is a place which is mostly unmoderated,
since we assume you are old enough to communicate
in an appropriate way. However, some of you seem to
think that being cool is based on insulting others.

It is not.

It does not matter, if you have one post or 5000+, if
you want to post here and be part of this mostly nice
and helpful community you have to respect a minimal
set of rules, as stated here:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34944

Thank you!
Robert
...is ignored. And, unfortunately, with no means at all to enforce this, it will continue to get ignored...

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:30 am

Crash wrote:
knotkranky wrote:There's only one move that takes little community effort and solves most problems. Don't Hijack. It ain't cool. Let the OP own his/her thread and call the shots for it. Let the verbal and pic heavies start and carry their own threads too, but know what to expect. If anybody can argue why Hijacks are fair game, i'd like to hear it.
:!:
:!: :!: