IMPOSSIBLE TO SYNC OUTBOARD TO LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:21 am

Tarekith wrote:I think people still aren;'t understanding my issue.
I understood your problem, but I can't help you with that if it's a bug with Live. I was trying to help 3dot. I will also have a look at your latency thing today (I need stable and timely clocks myself), but it may me MAC related and I'm on PC. ;)

m:o

Post by m:o » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:16 am

Why i don't see the optionbox for "Port Type" in your midi preferences ?
You're on Live 6 ?

Here, DirectMusic works better with my externals than MME....(better timing/response)

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:21 am

He's using a MAC, there is no port type there. ;)

m:o

Post by m:o » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:30 am

hehe, ok :roll:

is this problem OS independent ? Any Pc users with this f'cked up behavior ?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:26 am

Tarekith - sounds like a mac only problem?

The PC version is definately also broken, but in a different way (as I described above) and particualarly if you are using the external instrument plugin and are sending a midi clock to the device as well.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Timur

Post by Timur » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:52 am

At least over Midi-Yoke it doesn't seem to matter wether you're using External Instruments or Track Midi routing. Both can provide a somewhat stable clock as long as you don't strain the interface's or Live's Midi system too much. Both react the same to changes of the Midi Latency setting (either via External Instrument or via Preferences).

@Tarekith: What interface are you using to connect your EMX? Did you try a different one?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:22 pm

OK - I have confirmed this too on PC.

I just have Live triggering my MD via MMC and the MD is doing its own thing, while Live is looping a section - not sending any more triggers to the MD,

I have a section of the track in arranage view looped - just a couple of bars.
Everytime around the loop, the MD is drifting more out of sync.

This seems to me to be a very simple case of Live dropping the occasional midi clock messge when looping a section.

If I could be bothered at this moment I might be tempted to send a note on at the start of the loop section as a marker, than capture all the messages in midi ox and count the clocks messages through each pass of the loop - 24 per beat - ie quite a lot.

Sounds like a task for an abe developer/tester - wake one of them up and drag him in the weekend to sort it :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:35 pm

i can sync my md more or less (just for half a minute or a minute)..

i noticed live doesn't set the overall latency right when u change it in the options, u have to restart live for the changes to take effect.. this drove me nuts till i recognized it

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:33 pm

Timur wrote:@Tarekith: What interface are you using to connect your EMX? Did you try a different one?
Both a MOTU Ultralite, and Elektron TM-1 midi interface.

grok

Post by grok » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:29 am

3dot... wrote:nobody else on PC having trouble with syncing external synths???
Sorry man, I had synced my evolver perfectly to live. Sometimes I jam with a friend who has an mpc 500 and that also works perfectly. In both directions (master & slave). I use xp home edition on a not so beefy laptop together with the Motu ultralite
P4 Desktop-Echo Gina-Laptop P4-Motu Ultra Lite-AkaiMFC-Sherman-TeeBee 383-Reaktor-Live 7-Alesis Mk2-Novation Remote-Phat Boy-DBX comp-Korg KaossPad 3-Kaossilator-Akai MPD32

Semuta

I have very similar symptoms with AL7.0.5 and external gear

Post by Semuta » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:44 pm

I have two things to describe in my bump here;

1. With my machinedrum, I have to always provide a 30 ms delay on the midi interface (motu timepiece) in order to sync the MD. This is regardless of whether Live is master or slave. Also, the slower the tempo, the more compensation is required (possibly slop in the MD, possibly not). The best solution I have right now, believe it or not, is to use my EFX1000 as the tempo and transport master. Set up like this, everything is at least consistent.

2. At the show I played last weekend, a live set with two laptops, drift was noticeable between the two laptops by about the 3rd minute of playback. Both machines were running live, one was only triggering midi, the other was handling all of the audio tasks.

In the future, until Ableton figures out the dilly, I'll be using the EFX for sync... I haven't found any other way to deal with this.

It seems like I remember Ableton being way more reliable for sync in previous versions, but at this point, I don't trust it... for whatever that's worth.

I may even have to bust out one of my "other" daws to do studio stuff until they fix it...

amoeba

Post by amoeba » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:02 am

just another bump on the old live sync chestnut threads.

i hit the forums about once a month, hoping this crap is magically fixed.

i have the same issues on both PC and Mac, all types of interfaces. all sorts of outboard gear. live drifts around way too much. both as slave and as master.

so utterly lame. no drift problems with any other hosts.

saving my pennies for an octopus. live is two breaths from being dead to me.

such a shame, because live rocks. but it's clock sucks rocks. hard, long and forever it seems.

abort

Post by abort » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:09 am

You could have had two things setup to count time and there fighting with each other!!!!

ya it is ok ok ok ..

funk313

Post by funk313 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Ableton is drifting....and im FREAKIN SICK AND TIRED OF IT!! Dont get me wrong I absolutely love this prg..but how the FAK am i going to use this in a live situation??
I mean Live was made for doing stuff live right? ARRG!!! so i did a little bassline on my hardware Pro-One (yeah there is actually some of us that still uses HARDWARE SYNTHs!!)... alongside a drumrack track, took some pix and uploaded the track..

Oh yeah and btw im gonna SPAM every thread i can find about this problem..F the economic crisis, F global warming, F rising food prices, F Iraq and F everything else..the F-ing UN have to step up now and solve this WORLD crisis or ableton at least!!

Heres my setup:

MacBook Pro running Leopard
Ableton Live 7.0.10
Tc Konnekt Live Interfacae
In this case its hooked up to my Kenton Pro Solo controlling a Sequential Pro-one
hardware synth

LISTEN: ARRG!!just scroll the damn track..

http://listic.dk/p.hilla/Ableton%20is%2 ... hafuka.mp3

SETTINGS:

FIRST COUPLE OF BARS:

LAST COUPLE OF BARS: WHAT A BIAITCH!
Last edited by funk313 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funk313

Post by funk313 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm

Ableton is drifting....and im FREAKIN SICK AND TIRED OF IT!! Dont get me wrong I absolutely love this prg..but how the FAK am i going to use this in a live situation??
I mean Live was made for doing stuff live right? ARRG!!! so i did a little bassline on my hardware Pro-One (yeah there is actually some of us that still uses HARDWARE SYNTHs!!)... alongside a drumrack track, took some pix and uploaded the track..

Oh yeah and btw im gonna SPAM every thread i can find about this problem..F the economic crisis, F global warming, F rising food prices, F Iraq and F everything else..the F-ing UN have to step up now and solve this WORLD crisis or ableton at least!!

Heres my setup:

MacBook Pro running Leopard
Ableton Live 7.0.10
Tc Konnekt Live Interfacae
In this case its hooked up to my Kenton Pro Solo controlling a Sequential Pro-one
hardware synth

LISTEN: ARRG!!just scroll the damn track..

http://listic.dk/p.hilla/Ableton%20is%2 ... afuka!.mp3

SETTINGS:

FIRST COUPLE OF BARS:

LAST COUPLE OF BARS: WHAT A BIAITCH!