iphone as lemur

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Raveon

iphone as lemur

Post by Raveon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:19 am

just got touchOSC for the iphone and downloaded OSCulator and now my iphone is an inexpensive lemur or dexter....i have a one button toggle setup to start n stop live....master fader to master track volume....faders for individual tracks.....drumpads for simpler...x/y pad for messing with envelopes and filters.etc......to much fun.....
to breathe is good

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:26 am

I am getting painfully close to blasting some wages at one of those.

t1mp

Post by t1mp » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:48 am

oscemote as well....that one is super dope!

sans soleil

Post by sans soleil » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:11 pm

hey raveon...i was mucking around with touchosc and bidule, which was more complicated than what i was hoping...do you mind giving me a quick rundown re. how you set it up with live ?
...i didn't realize that live would accept osc messages...did you use a osc->midi translator thingie ?

Raveon

touchOSc

Post by Raveon » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Sans yeah...u need a osc to midi converter like OSCulator..it makes it dead simple to convert the messages from the iphone to midi that Live understands...also get from the internet a list of midi cc messages.....as an example in OSculator i defined fader one to midi cc #7 which is volume control..on live i click the midi mapping button ..then touch the master volume on Live and the fader on the iphone and presto,done...that fader will now control the overrall volume(master volume) of your live set...for the start/stop of Live i define a button on OSCulator to midi cc#36 which is foot pedal control....i tap the button on the iphone and live starts..touch it again and live stops....very cool......hope this helps......
to breathe is good

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:30 pm

How does your phone connect with your computer? My problem is some other similar iphone apps need you to connect to a wifi network and sometimes you won't be connected to one or be using one with a weak signal. It would be nice to just talk directly to your computer no matter where you are.

sans soleil

Post by sans soleil » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:52 pm

beats me: are you talking about the iTM stuff ?

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:48 pm

beats me wrote:How does your phone connect with your computer? My problem is some other similar iphone apps need you to connect to a wifi network and sometimes you won't be connected to one or be using one with a weak signal. It would be nice to just talk directly to your computer no matter where you are.
what if you use the "create network" option on your airport card?

sparkletone

Post by sparkletone » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:01 pm

doc holiday wrote:
beats me wrote:How does your phone connect with your computer? My problem is some other similar iphone apps need you to connect to a wifi network and sometimes you won't be connected to one or be using one with a weak signal. It would be nice to just talk directly to your computer no matter where you are.
what if you use the "create network" option on your airport card?
Yeah.

An ad hoc wifi network is how I got it working.

sans soleil

Post by sans soleil » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:52 pm

yeah...in your menu bar click on the airport icon and scroll down to 'create network'...no need for an outside wifi source.

anyway: been really getting into TouchOSC (especially when used with osculator) and all the iTM stuff...turns the itouch into a really tight, tiny controller. i've actually played a few shows using only touchOSC, leaving the uc33 and nocturn @ home - it's nice in that i can also walk around the stage and so on instead of being rooted in one spot.

...best 4 bucks i've spent in a long time.

djoliverm

What happens when you get an incoming call?

Post by djoliverm » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:17 pm

Hey guys, i'm getting ready for a gig i have tomorrow night and was just fascinated by the TouchOSC program but I have one question: what happens when you get an incoming call? AFAIK, you can't block incoming calls without disabling all wireless connections (i.e., airplane mode), the only thing I can think of is forwarding the calls to another number for example. The thing is that my iPhone is well, my phone, and I'm sure to be getting calls and texts and what not while at the gig performing (I mean, which DJ has that NOT happened to?!).

I've already tried it with the free ITM Midi program (or any program for that matter) and the good thing is that once you decline the call it goes straight back to the program no problem. The issue is not about wasting $4, it is basically that during a critical part of your set you might get a call or text and then you miss the mix/eq cut, etc. etc. Any ideas or suggestions?

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:42 pm

This looks very cool! Can Live also send messages back to the iPhone running TouchOSC, e.g. when you move a fader with the mouse?
MacBook Pro, iMac i5, Fireface 800, Fireface 400

maxmin

Post by maxmin » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:07 pm

TheAnimal wrote:This looks very cool! Can Live also send messages back to the iPhone running TouchOSC, e.g. when you move a fader with the mouse?
Yes, TouchOSC (and therefore the iPhone) can also receive Messages, so it should work in theory. I have not tested it personally, but this sounds like an intersting thing.

Btw: I made a Video-Demo of controlling Ableton Live via TouchOSC at http://www.gomakemusic.de/ableton-live/ ... -ipodtouch
Max Min | I make songs at http://www.hellomaxmin.com