Drum Racks and Multiple Samples question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Submersible

Drum Racks and Multiple Samples question

Post by Submersible » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:45 am

I've been using drum racks to create kick and snare hits that are comprised of 2 or more samples mixed together. The mixer in Drum Racks is very intuitive, so no problems there.

The problem comes when I try to isolate the multi'ed kick or snare on its own track by creating a new audio track and setting the input to the correct sample in Drum Rack.

If I monitor the main buss, I hear the multi'ed kick fine. If I monitor the individual kick audio track, I hear only one sample I added to the multi and not the whole thing. If I then try to rewire that kick audio track to another app, I'm not getting the whole kick or snare.

I'm pretty confident I'm choosing the right input for that track. I choose the post mixer option that contains all of the samples I want in the path.

Submersible

Post by Submersible » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:06 pm

Well that didn't go over too well.

I'll try one more time. In drum rack, I use option drag to stack multiple samples on a single pad. Say I have two kicks: a 707 from Drum Machines, and an acoustic kick from my personal collection.

I can blend those two kicks using the mixer tab in Drum Rack. So far so good.

When I try to isolate my multi'ed kick on a new audio track, only one of the two samples is audible when I solo that track.

This happens no matter which input assignment for the track I chose. And by the way, many of the input assignments don't make sense. They look something like:

Drum Rack|Kick 707|Kick 707|Kick707|Pre-Effects

I can't even imagine that signal path. Why are there up to three instances of the same sample?

But that's moot, because no matter which input assignment I choose, I can't get a multi'ed hit in Drum Rack isolated to a new track and have all the samples play through that track.