Leave a feedback to Mac about the no firewire issue !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Leave a feedback to Mac about the no firewire issue !

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 am

People please leave feedback:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

Tell them we need that,musicians,visualists,vj's and more people !

Pasha

Re: Leave a feedback to Mac about the no firewire issue !

Post by Pasha » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:30 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:People please leave feedback:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

Tell them we need that,musicians,visualists,vj's and more people !
Just issued. Do you think we should have a Template...?
In teh style of Ableton Forum:

BRING BACK THE FW400!!!!
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 am

Utterly pointless. Your time is better spent whining and raging on forums all over the Internets.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:53 am

SMonk wrote:Utterly pointless. Your time is better spent whining and raging on forums all over the Internets.
Quite pessimistic.... you think they will never come back?
remember Agere vs TI debate...
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:55 am

erm.. the units are already in production and being sold..
you think they're going to change that because of some petition?

couldn't you just use a USB>FW cable?
not sure if such thing exists but speed should be sort of equal no?

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:58 am

I have been posting that link everywhere!!

I think we should all do it..

And yes this does work, Apple released the SDK for the iPhone and then they dropped the NDA due to outrage and pressure - in fact they very first macbook pro came out with firewire too if i remember - and then the second revision had it!!

So yes, get writing to them...

We need this sorted!
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

stonee

Post by stonee » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 pm

to apple feedback wrote: I was excitedly anticipating the new release of the new mac books. I was planning on getting a mac book pro to assist me with my musical work, and to assist with video editing.
However,
I was shocked to find out that apple has cut the fire wire 400 port!

ALL of my external devices are run from fire wire 400. this includes my external HD, my external audio interface, video camera's, and most of the television industry related hardware I've encountered.
owning a new Macbook is no longer the best option for me as a musician and video editor.

PLEASE, for the sake of many other musicians and people who work in the tv/film industry, BRING BACK FIREWIRE 400!

Thanks,

Everett
message sent!

I'm extremely dissapointed with apple...

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:23 pm

stonee wrote:
to apple feedback wrote: I was excitedly anticipating the new release of the new mac books. I was planning on getting a mac book pro to assist me with my musical work, and to assist with video editing.
However,

ALL of my external devices are run from fire wire 400. this includes my external HD, my external audio interface, video camera's, and most of the television industry related hardware I've encountered.
owning a new Macbook is no longer the best option for me as a musician and video editor.

PLEASE, for the sake of many other musicians and people who work in the tv/film industry, BRING BACK FIREWIRE 400!

Thanks,

Everett
message sent!

You needn't be. The FW400 port on the last generation of MBP's was simply an adapter from the 1 FW800 bus that they came, and come, with anyway. Since FW800 is fully backwards compatible with FW400, You just need a new cable.
Last edited by SMonk on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randrohe

Post by randrohe » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:25 pm

message sent... hopefully the message will be received..

stonee

Post by stonee » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:35 pm

SMonk wrote:
stonee wrote:
However,

Thanks,

Everett
message sent!

You needn't be. The FW400 port on the last generation of MBP's was simply an adapter from the 1 FW800 bus that they came, and come, with. FW800 is fully backwards compatible with FW400, You just need a new cable.
even still, before they had 2 ports. if I wanted to use a fw 800 and a fw 400, im relying on the fact that the fw 800 has a daisy chain in it.

also, for instance, if I'm capturing from a camera, I might be left in a situation where i'm unable to hook up an external drive due to lack of ports.

buying new hardware is out of the question, when I can buy a cheaper computer that does what I want.

sidownes

Post by sidownes » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Poster wrote:couldn't you just use a USB>FW cable?
what a constructive contribution! how would I go about connecting my firewire motu ultralite to a new macbook?
http://www.thesoundofyoungamerica.com
http://www.myspace.com/soundofyoungamerica

MacBook Pro, guitars, Live Suite 8.2, launchpad, iphone

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Poster wrote: couldn't you just use a USB>FW cable?
They only exist for PCs and they're over $120 anyway. I'm not sure they'd support all of firewire's features either.
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:27 pm

stonee wrote:
SMonk wrote:
stonee wrote: message sent!

You needn't be. The FW400 port on the last generation of MBP's was simply an adapter from the 1 FW800 bus that they came, and come, with. FW800 is fully backwards compatible with FW400, You just need a new cable.
even still, before they had 2 ports. if I wanted to use a fw 800 and a fw 400, im relying on the fact that the fw 800 has a daisy chain in it.

also, for instance, if I'm capturing from a camera, I might be left in a situation where i'm unable to hook up an external drive due to lack of ports.

buying new hardware is out of the question, when I can buy a cheaper computer that does what I want.
But all You need is a hub, which costs like 20-30 bucks or something. Sure, it's nice to have 2 internal ports (even if they share the same bus), but losing one isn't exactly an "outraged letter"-worthy disaster.

stonee

Post by stonee » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:52 pm

SMonk wrote:
stonee wrote:
SMonk wrote: You needn't be. The FW400 port on the last generation of MBP's was simply an adapter from the 1 FW800 bus that they came, and come, with. FW800 is fully backwards compatible with FW400, You just need a new cable.

But all You need is a hub, which costs like 20-30 bucks or something. Sure, it's nice to have 2 internal ports (even if they share the same bus), but losing one isn't exactly an "outraged letter"-worthy disaster.
ok, worst case scenario. I have a fw 800 external HD. and I need to capture stuff from my camera which is fw 400. I'm now relying on the fact that my HD will have a 400 port to put my camera into. then im also reliant that the computer will be able to control the camera through the hd port.

even if I did have a hub, that would only be fw 400, which would still leave me arsed.

before, I would just plug my hd into the 800 port, and the camera in the 400 port. no thought or hassle.

I don't understand why apple would make something as industry standard as this any amount more difficult.

also, with a quick search through the futureshop website, fw 400>800 is very hard to get, and fw hubs aren't that common either.

this is all purely hypothetical though, but even still, I don't have the money to throw down on getting a bunch of new hardware just so I can use a mac.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:25 pm

nobbystylus wrote:
Poster wrote: couldn't you just use a USB>FW cable?
They only exist for PCs and they're over $120 anyway. I'm not sure they'd support all of firewire's features either.
aah ok..