So....Apple=progress?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
UKRuss

So....Apple=progress?

Post by UKRuss » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Right, I'm "upgraded" to mobile me, which essentially means I now cannot access my .mac e-mails from any PC at any current work address as it isn't supoported on IE6.

Now, I cannot buy a Macbook with firewire if I want the new model?

Sorry, wheres the progress?

I can do more with my old .mac set up and my current macbook.

PCs suddenly looking like a very good deal...

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 pm

About the mobile me stuff...
Tell your IT department to die in a fire, if they are forcing y'all to use IE6.

fzero

Re: So....Apple=progress?

Post by fzero » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:50 pm

Rave wrote:The white macbook is still available and runs ableton well.
Yep, but how long will it be before they retire it too?

I really hope Apple chages its mind on the next refresh - or add more USB ports. Hubs are great for controllers, but don't work well with audio interfaces and HDs.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:11 pm

fzero wrote:Yep, but how long will it be before they retire it too?

I really hope Apple chages its mind on the next refresh - or add more USB ports. Hubs are great for controllers, but don't work well with audio interfaces and HDs.
Both used and new white Mac Books will be available for years. Check out eBay, Amason, macsales.com, Newegg, or pretty much any other retailer. You will also be able to buy refurbs on the Apple site. Hell you can still buy G4 iBooks never used if you look around.
Apple may have stopped producing them, but it doesn't mean the supply will dry up any time soon.

john doe by choice

Post by john doe by choice » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:25 pm

kaffein wrote:About the mobile me stuff...
Tell your IT department to die in a fire, if they are forcing y'all to use IE6.
+1

IE is the white trash browser of the browser community, ask anyone who works on websites...get on the Firefox wagon already, shouldn't be a problem for your IT dept, or you can access me.com through your mail client.

I've been on mac.com/me.com for a couple of years now - me.com is still buggy, but it seems to be getting those things worked out - slowly, but the problems are working themselves out. Except IE - it will never be compatible with IE.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:43 pm

I really want to go to an Apple store to watch the following exchange take place.

Customer: I want to get a new Macbook but I need firewire.

1 of 57 clerks in the store: New Macbooks don't have firewire.

Customer: They don't?

Clerk: No

Customer: What am I supposed to do?

Clerk: Might I suggest a Macbook Pro, Tower, iMac, or Mini.

Customer: I don't want any of those.

Clerk: We still have a Macbook model with firewire

Customer: But it's white and has a plastic case.

Clerk: Yes.

Customer: I don't want that either.

Clerk: If you are really good and quite while the adults talk I'll buy you an ice cream.

Customer: What's that supposed to mean?

Clerk: Nothing.

Customer: I can't believe this. This is ridiculous. Looks like I am going to go buy a PC.

Clerk: That's cool.

Customer: But…..but…..but….BUT!!!! (runs out of store whimpering with arms flailing)

Clerk helps one of the 300 other customers in the store.

fzero

Post by fzero » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:49 pm

the_planet wrote:Both used and new white Mac Books will be available for years. Check out eBay, Amason, macsales.com, Newegg, or pretty much any other retailer. You will also be able to buy refurbs on the Apple site. Hell you can still buy G4 iBooks never used if you look around.
Apple may have stopped producing them, but it doesn't mean the supply will dry up any time soon.
Yes, I know. I have a whitebook and enjoy it very much, but I'm thinking about some day in the future where the whitebook is no longer available. I think my best bet will have to be a Hackintosh.

You see, I used linux in my day-today work stuff and Windows just for audio, but I was getting progressively pissed off with Windows and found myself dragging my feet to reboot. So, basically, the OS pissed me off so much that when I thought about making music, the "oh shit, I'll have to fucking boot on fucking Windows" moment made me lose the will to do just that.

Yep, Linux actually is THAT much better than windows. You know what else? MacOS X is *almost* as good, but not quite. There are still lots of things that are easier, more practical and more FLEXIBLE on Linux, but I could configure OS X in a way that I don't really have to dual-boot, so I'm happy. I have my terminal, a moderately smart system which knows what a VST plugin is from boot and everything works fine.

Except that if I want to buy a new notebook in the future, I'll have to pay a premium price (DOUBLE PREMIUM if I'm still living in Brazil by then) to get a friggin firewire port, because it's very clear to me that the whitebook is going away in 2009.

So, yeah, I'm kinda pissed. I won't have this problem probably until 2010 (my notebook is quite ok for me right now, thank you very much), but who knows which of my current devices I'll be able to plug on my computer by then?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:59 pm

I like my current macbook...but its getting on a bit and without firewire I'd seriously consider getting something else, although true, the whitebook is still available new...but again for how long?

On the IE6 front...thre are more companies than you could possibly know stuck using it and there isnt any way on earth our IT dept is going to change that. So, monile me is more....not mobile me. I could get my .mac messages on IE so for me, its a step back.

IE may be shit yes, but its what we're stuck with...

I think of it like this: if i w as new apple customer and i bought a new macbook and signed up for mobile me I'd find out two things:

1) i can't connect my existing soundcard

2) i can't get my e-mail anywhere except at home...

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:22 pm

At least there is a MacBook with FireWire for the moment, which gives us the option of a new purchase and plenty of time to make the switch to USB - I can't see Apple putting FireWire back no matter how much we bitch.

I'll be getting a refurb once they do drop the plastic MacBook so I should be good for another 2-3 years at least.

[dfi]

Post by [dfi] » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:30 pm