anyone bought the new MBP ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brianbacio

anyone bought the new MBP ?

Post by brianbacio » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 am

Anyone actually bought the new MacBook Pro, could this person go beyond the Firewire issue and tell us how well it fares audio wise ?
I want to replace my aging and faithfull 12" G4.
BrianBacio
a modern computer and all sorts of hardware

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:39 am

The New MBP will be fine - it has FW800 on it, its the regular MacBooks that are the issue...

I wish they would bring out a notebook smaller than 13" - I love my old Powerbook G4!! Classics... I wish i could upgrade its guts to be smokin!! haha.
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:56 am

chrisedmo wrote:The New MBP will be fine - it has FW800 on it, its the regular MacBooks that are the issue...
Rumor has it that it has the NotGoodForAudio agere firewire chipset, though...

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:22 am

Didn't Apple drop the use of TI FW a while back? That seems like a very stupid move :?

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:40 am

Fledz wrote:Didn't Apple drop the use of TI FW a while back? That seems like a very stupid move :?
They did, but then they put the TI chipset back in the last version of the old-style MBP (the one released early this year and presumably sold until last week).

Now, reportedly, they seem to have unlearned that lesson (or possibly, found a way to fix the problems with the agere chipset - but I'm not going to believe that until i see it...).

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:47 pm

i also desperately need to update from my 12" G4. got a great deal on a macbookpro from the last generation. alot of stores are trying to get rid of them fast.

i think most macHeadz would advise against getting the first model of a generation (full of bugs).

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:51 pm

" i think most macHeadz would advise against getting the first model of a
generation (full of bugs) "

I feel totally unreasonable and just want it now, real bad, sort of like when a girl want's that piece of jewlery
BrianBacio
a modern computer and all sorts of hardware

continuous

Post by continuous » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Rev 1 is to be avoided in the the Mac realm IMHO.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:38 pm

SMonk wrote:
chrisedmo wrote:The New MBP will be fine - it has FW800 on it, its the regular MacBooks that are the issue...
Rumor has it that it has the NotGoodForAudio agere firewire chipset, though...
Got my "new" MBP a month ago. It s a refurb 2.2GHz. I was SO happy today when I ran comm+s at startup and discovered I have the TI chipset. SO glad.
Life is Good

Landwhale

Post by Landwhale » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:27 pm

I dropped my macbook about 6 months ago, on the corner where the DC in is, while the computer was in sleep mode :( . It had been fine for awhile, but a few weeks ago it started to kernel panic randomly every other day or so. Turns out the logic board has finally started to go bad, most likely from the drop.

I was waiting to get one of the new macbooks to replace mine, but since there's no firewire, I decided against it. Instead, yesterday I bought a 2.4ghz Macbook Pro in fucking PERFECT condition off of craigslist for $1000 (the battery only has a 30 cycle count!). There's a lot of good deals on "old" macbook pros right now, you might want to consider this route.

If you're planning on getting a Macbook Pro, you can see which firewire chipset it has by booting into verbose mode (hold apple/command + v while powering the computer on) or single user mode (hold apple/command + s while powering on). You will see a line about a 1/3 or so down the screen regarding firewire, if the line has "TI" in it, you have a Texas Instrument chipset.
I made sure mine did before I bought it. The Agere chipsets were known to cause problems with firewire audio interfaces, so you might want to avoid getting a MBP with this chipset in it. Supposedly the new ones have the Agere chipsets, so who knows if they'll have problems or not.

I considered getting one of the new ones as well, I went to the apple store and checked them out, and although I was lusty, I couldn't justify the price for a new MBP just to have firewire. I hope they put firewire back into the Macbook line, but I wouldn't count on it. In the meantime, I think I'll be quite ok with my MBP :D

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:13 pm

can you explain this comm & s procedure in detail?

I'm going to need to know how to do that when I upgrade my PowerBook. It's lame that you have to do a test to make sure you have an optimized machine, but whatever. OSX is worth the trouble.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:18 pm

nevermind - thanks landwhale

Landwhale

Post by Landwhale » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Hold the apple key and the "s" key, then turn the computer on, continue holding these keys until you come to a command line screen, then let go.
You will see a bunch of info on the computer, there is a line that says "Firewire", in this line there should be "TI" followed by something else, cant remember right now what. If it has the "TI" than it is a Texas Instruments chipset.
Once the computer stops running new lines of code it will come to a stop, just type "reboot", then press return.
This will reboot your computer as normal.
Hope this helps.