Novation Remote SL Zero

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
malenko

Novation Remote SL Zero

Post by malenko » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:05 pm

Anyone got one and use with Live?

Im serioulsy considering getting one, cause of its automap, to add to my setup. Ive already got a Trigger Finger which I use for drum racks, rack Macro's, and instant mappings, a UC33 for transport, manual mapping, soft synth and reason control.

On startup i use a simple one track template and add tracks as needed and what I want to know is as i add a track will the Novation instant map the mixer controls to its respective channel. For example - slider 1 is mapped to track 1 volume, new track added and slider 2 is instantly mapped to track 2 volume. Also if tracks are reordered does the Novation reorder? For example slider 5 is mapped to track 5 volume. The track is then moved to second inline, becoming track 2, so the Novation remaps the volume to slider 2. Hopefully you get what I mean :roll:

So will the Novation do this for me? and is it worth getting one? or shall I just wait and get a Mackie Control as I seem to think the Mackie will do what I want?????

Cheers :)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:48 pm

they're great and yeh will do what u want.

Newecho

Re: Novation Remote SL Zero

Post by Newecho » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:48 pm

malenko wrote:Anyone got one and use with Live?
On startup i use a simple one track template and add tracks as needed and what I want to know is as i add a track will the Novation instant map the mixer controls to its respective channel. For example - slider 1 is mapped to track 1 volume, new track added and slider 2 is instantly mapped to track 2 volume.
Yes, the default template maps to whatever you see in Live. If you change what is on Track 2 by inserting or moving, Track 2 params in the Remote SL will reflect this. The control strip LED will also change to match what is indicated in Live. I personally LOVE how the Remote SL works and think it makes Live itself seem more like an instrument. If you really want to get a sense for how all this works check out the Lessons in Live for this.

Select Menu View->Lessons->Midi Controllers->More Lessons->Control Surface Reference->Remote SL.
http://www.markmoshermusic.com

Live 8 Suite;HP DV6; Novation Remote SL, Launchpad, Tenori-On White, AudioCubes, Moog Etherwave Theremin;Alchemy,Sylenth1,Absynth,ACE,Synplant,Harmles,Gladiator 2,Dimension Pro...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:05 pm

they're great and yeh will do what u want.

malenko

Post by malenko » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:28 pm

WICKED!!!!!!!

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for letting me know!

Looks like ill place an order soon as it will improve workflow daramtically for me.

Many thanx again :D :D :D

ava

Post by ava » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:43 pm

There is a cheaper alternative only £41 Korg NanoKontrol:
http://www.korg.co.uk/products/software ... c_nano.asp

buy a few of them for even more control.

Remote Zero may have automap but when you switch instruments the faders are all in the wrong positions!? Or are they motorised?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:27 pm

ava wrote:There is a cheaper alternative only £41 Korg NanoKontrol:

Remote Zero may have automap but when you switch instruments the faders are all in the wrong positions!? Or are they motorised?
having LCDs above the faders makes all the difference in the world ;-)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:27 pm

sweetjesus wrote:

So does being able to automap to more than 8 tracks (and therefor be able to select more than the first 8 tracks and auto-select the first device). :wink:
Professional Shark Jumper.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:53 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:

So does being able to automap to more than 8 tracks (and therefor be able to select more than the first 8 tracks and auto-select the first device). :wink:
i like to rub my Novation products against my naked flesh.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:58 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
sweetjesus wrote: having LCDs above the faders makes all the difference in the world ;-)
i like to rub my Novation products against my naked flesh.
Myself not so much. I do bring it flowers every day however. We're just not that physical...
Professional Shark Jumper.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:56 pm

they cannot receive midi to update the LCDs unless you are using novations software. You can't use it as a 'dumb' midi controller a la BCR2000 and every other midi controller out there.

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:17 am

timothyallan wrote:they cannot receive midi to update the LCDs unless you are using novations software. You can't use it as a 'dumb' midi controller a la BCR2000 and every other midi controller out there.
yeah you can

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:19 pm

How hard is it to configure the SL buttons & knobs slightly differently that it's Live default.

In the manual it shows templates for Logic & Protools setups which make more sense for (me) for rough mixing & tracking music.

Can I re-configure functions & save my template for recall?
Or is this a huge ordeal?

Thanks.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:04 pm

e.maynard wrote:How hard is it to configure the SL buttons & knobs slightly differently that it's Live default.

Thanks.
There's a really, really easy software editor that comes with the Remote. :D
You create your own template, and then press a few buttons to switch back from that and Automap as needed

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:29 pm

Right on!

As far as the faders are concerned, (since they're not motorized), if the value on say track one is -4, but the physical SL fader is at the bottom, at what point do the two mesh? Is it once the fader get's up to the ableton value?

Wow that was a weird question.

But do you know what I mean?