Do I buy the Monome?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 pm

dj superflat wrote:also: why would musicians be any more likely to recognize a good deed than someone else?
because of our bleeding fucking hearts.

if i bought a monome, i'd get in line. it's nice that the company doesn't jack up the price, just cause they can. hell, i've just recently started to grasp this osc shit, and some of the cool stuff you could do with a monome, i might consider one later on down the road. but if i hated it, i'd offer a buy now option, for what i paid for it, i totally agree with tone on this, if you want to make money selling overpriced shit, there's a car dealership/guitar center nearby. as a matter of fact, the way monome does busyness is really attractive to me, makes me want one just a bit more.

musicians aren't usually good business people, why do you think so many artists get screwed on their deals? what do i know, though, i see no reason for any human to have more wealth than entire nations, and see no need for anyone to have so much, while others can't even drink clean water? fuck it, wipe out the undesirables :roll:

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:20 pm

The monome is good stuff, but you should be willing to put a little work in to make it right for you. it's a great little device if you have some idea of how it fits.

and on the not of under pricing or whatnot...if monome didnt sold at the price scalpers sell at, i wouldnt have one. that means little to you, but it means a great amount to me. scalpers will be scalpers. i considered selling my kit just before i put it together. i had sat on it for a year and i knew i could flip it for more than what ii paid. but i bought it to use it and that won out. for some people it doesnt. not everyone selling bought it with that intent. it is expensive to begin with and there are a great many who have bought more than one.

it SUCKS that the demand brings the price so high, but if you want one and are really that bothered by scalpers getting the money, go look at the silent auction at monome.org and bid there. they are doing the best they can to work against scalpers but maybe we all need to accept that scalping will happen

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:46 pm

you all keep missing my point -- i'm not saying that monome should maximize the bottom line or gouge the consumer. i'm saying that monome shouldn't be giving money to scalpers when there are many more deserving (as noted, give it back to the monome community somehow, use it to advance some enviro cause, buy offsets for monome's carbon emmission, give it to charity, whatever, but not to someone gaming monome's system).

regardless, i don't blame the scalpers. if something's being sold for less than it's worth, someone will buy and resell. you can't leave money on the ground and expect people to just walk by.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 pm

true.

the idealistic business practices can't exist in the real world, it would have to be in a closed system where people understand and practice the same ethics.

you can't blame a snake for being a snake and biting you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:57 pm

when a product is scarce ... it's price goes up.. it's almost a law of nature...

I don't see what the fuss is about...

that's the Vintage/Boutique market...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:01 am

I disagree, that's when the supply is gone.

monome is very unique, name ONE piece of gear you can buy from the manufacturer and instantly turn around and sell it on ebay for a 100% markup.

not even the same thing. I don't care how many goddamn dots you put on it.
;)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:05 am

btw, my apologies if i'm the seeming troll here (makes me wonder if all trolls think they're operating in good faith), not trying to be. just find the issue interesting because, as you note, few manufacturers are in this position. but i bet there were certain moogs that came out with resale value higher than list, though maybe the stores just took the money by requiring some sort of "deposit" like they do with certain cars. which makes me think the really unique feature here is not demand at price above list, but the direct sale by the manufacturer with no interest in claiming the extra money for itself. so we've come full circle. cheers.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:17 am

trade a monome for a Wii?

I've still never seen one of those on a store shelf.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Tone Deft wrote:trade a monome for a Wii?

I've still never seen one of those on a store shelf.
bet. for real. i'll throw in guitar hero :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:32 am

hmmm...

I do have an extra logic kit...

shit. :?

then I can trade up to a machinedrum and trade that for a 128...
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:43 am

my wiimotes even have the original "smash your tv" wrist straps... it's fun, but i just don't play games like i used to... my family would kill me come xmas time, it's great for get-togethers where there is getting fucked up involved. let's bury the hatchet, and make this happen. :o

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:48 am

I just need to see if/how I can make a kit from my logic kit, not sure what chips I have, all that... really, I'm talking like after New Years when I can take two weeks off and tinker with this. been working 72 hour weeks, don't see that ending in the near future.

maybe more to the point I could make you a monome with sparkfun buttons (they're bigger.) lots to think about. knowing my lazy ass... :?

there's no hatchet. ;)

edit - OK, I should say up to 72 hours. it's either a 9 hour day or 12 hour days with weekends until I can slow down to 9 hour days. Saturdays I sleep in, don't know what it adds up to but I have no life lately, not for tweaking monomes.
Last edited by Tone Deft on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

dcease

Post by dcease » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:54 am

let me know... it'll be at least six months b4 i try to get on the list, but i'm sure if you decide to build up the logic kit, it'd be sweet...

Surreal

Post by Surreal » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:36 am

honestly, there is no GOOD way for monome to "keep from giving money to scalpers"

if they charge more...i can't have one. and the only reason would be that soneone WOULD pay more. monome 'know' how much it is worth (to them) and i thank them a thousand times over for charging THAT price.

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:56 am

Tone Deft wrote:...been working 72 hour weeks....
Dude, that's seriously insane.

Or as Bush once said to the 60 year old woman who told him she works 3 jobs, "Now that is uniquely American"

I thought I had it bad with 2 jobs (1 FT and 1 PT) and part time school.

:?