What Pieces of Hardware Will Be Classics in 5/10 years?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:15 am

b0unce wrote:the evolver is the obvious answer to this thread. fuck the waffle.
spreader of butter

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:15 am

starving student wrote:
Oscar F wrote:Hmmmm, I would have to say the following for various reasons.

1.RS7000 - even if you NEVER use the sampler and Internal TG it still does polyrythmic sequencing on a level I haven't found in software or other hardware based units.

2.Korg WaveStation AD - the Wavestation to have if you're going to grab one.

3.Clavia Nord Modular G1 and G2 - digital, modular, fx processor and more.

4.Electron Monomachine and MachineDrum - enough said there really as they are superbly defined and rather beautiful instruments.

5.Novation Supernova II - all ready rare as hens teeth secondhand and a much underated and beautiful sounding VA.

6.Ensoniq TS10 and VFXSD - way underated digital machines and then some.

7.Emu Morpheus and Ultraproteus - if I could have two of the Emu Proteus Collection these are the two I'd grab. Honestly do not think anybody has really explore the function generators and synthesis engines too their full potential on these at all.

8.Waldorf Xtk and Q+ - enough said really, these really represent how beautiful digital synthesis can be and to call them VA is pretty much an insult IMHO ...but I digress to much.

9.Kawai K5000S - did additive ever get any better than this in commercially viable and affordable hardware.

10.Genoq Octopus - superb step based sequencer with great updates, stylings and interface that begs to actually be played like an instrument and not just a sequencer. Will do things the RS7000 can't also for example but the whole ergonomy and fact that it goes beyond step sequencer and into the realm of interactive instrument pretty much says it all for me.
whoa the giant awakens, where you been fax

I've been some where between a career in Middle Business Management and total Redundancy at the moment ........... don't ask.
Global Crisis and a U.S company has retrenched everyone who works for them in Australia, Malaysia, Mexico, Dubai and the Uk.
I turn 40 in a week and have decided somewhat crazily to give the music career more than a final half arsed shot this time round.
Being a suit isn't really for me I an afraid though I did my job well.
Learned enough along the way to be wiser in music based dealings none the less.

Well that's it for now before B0unce and Co make some extraneously glib remarks :roll: .
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:22 am

hehe - when a waffling blowhard like yourself bandies about the term 'glib' .... it's kind of meaningless.

and btw did you, YOU, say 'extraneous' ?
excuse me - but for some weird fucked up reason I know everything about your spleen, anus, previous boyfriends/pets/apartments... And that's JUST from reading threads on the rs7000.

what is it with male, middle-aged antipodeans and their incessant need to blog ?
Last edited by b0unce on Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
spreader of butter

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:38 am

b0unce wrote:hehe - when a waffling blowhard like yourself bandies about the term 'glib' .... it's kind of meaningless.
hey UTFS :lol:

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:59 pm

b0unce wrote:hehe - when a waffling blowhard like yourself bandies about the term 'glib' .... it's kind of meaningless.

and btw did you, YOU, say 'extraneous' ?
excuse me - but for some weird fucked up reason I know everything about your spleen, anus, previous boyfriends/pets/apartments... And that's JUST from reading threads on the rs7000.

what is it with male, middle-aged antipodeans and their incessant need to blog ?

Never lived in an apartment........
Well my ANUS gives me the shits as much as you do.
And the only one venting their SPLEEN around here constantly is YOU.
Predictable is as predictable does.
All I can safely gather from your posts is that you constantly spout the biggest load of bullshit this side of a cow paddock.
Which may make you meaningful too society as an alternative fuel source a few years from now.
There's something to look forward too now isn't there.
You fucking miserable cunning linguist you.
What's your real name ?
Cupid Stunt ?

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:19 pm

thinking about some of the drum machines that are now classics, but seemed like little more than toys at the time, i think a current classic may be something like the kaossilator or one of the kaos pads, where people 10 years from now will kill to find a mint one because of the quirky sound. or some of the boutique pedals from one man shops selling via ebay.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:44 pm

b0unce wrote: I'd like a wretch machine for <$999, but it will never be a classic (you know it's true MW)
Agreed about the Evolver being the obvious classic. On the Wretch Machine.. Ten years from now I have ZERO doubt I could sell the Wretch for +$3000! nothing sounds even remotely like it, except maybe a heavily distorted bass with a whammy bar through a vintage Marshall stack and almost ruined speakers.
The guy basically assembles them alone, and though you'll occasionally see them for sale, that will stop as soon as rabid owners like me get hold of them. I doubt there's more than 500 in circulation to begin with, which explains the price.
This I think is where music taste comes in. I don't play straight electro of any kind, it's closer to rock music than dance music, my drummer and me used to play in a metal band. The Wretch is well suited for what I do.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:56 pm

ubermnd wrote: Is it a modern classic..... the OP was talking about music making 'gear' so...

nope.

its a class instrument. the best their is. but come on pa, it in't modern.
Epic fail on your part. Go read up on the Moog guitar and realize how lame your post reads afterwards. There's patented unique electronic technology in the thing, WTF else do you want it to have? keys? :lol:

The best part is you failing in your own assumptions by somehow disregarding that a guitar is a piece of music making gear.

A classic instrument or effect simply adds something new (Moog Guitar) or improves on existing ideas, it doesn't have to be completely unique. The Minimogg wasn't that much different in basic concept than other small synths, it just does it better, that's all.

ubermnd

Post by ubermnd » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:48 pm

:oops:

my lobotomy is booked for Monday morning! and for the record I didn't disregard the guitar as music making gear just not a modern classic.

I stand corrected sir! :D

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:18 pm

infiniteB wrote:Yamaha RS7000... dopest hardware sequencer ever...
You should try the E-MU Command Stations.

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:32 am

Mike Goodwin wrote:
infiniteB wrote:Yamaha RS7000... dopest hardware sequencer ever...
You should try the E-MU Command Stations.

The Command Station would be my second favourite piece of hardware gear (sequencer wise) and the synth engine is way more versatile than it's presumed "rompler" interface lets on.

It still can't do the multi-metered and multi-pattern based tricks simutaneously that the RS7000 can but I would have to agree with you that they're a damn fine unit.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:20 am

All the Moog stuff.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:25 am

DSI Evolver
MachineDrum
Roland JP-8000/JP-8080
maybe the first Electribe series ...

Classics that i think are worthy of the term are those pieces of gear that 'work' on their own, have character, are usable no matter how old they are and offer just enough "I've been important" versus "They haven't touched my limits yet" vibe...

All of the above have their own kind of sequencing, have MIDI (which will always be so easy to downgrade to), have character and have sonically never ceased to amaze me. Yes, even that Super-Saw Roland trance synth.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:27 pm

ubermnd wrote::oops:

my lobotomy is booked for Monday morning! and for the record I didn't disregard the guitar as music making gear just not a modern classic.

I stand corrected sir! :D
Just wanted to say your a total class act for not being a jerk about being called out when you're wrong. Most people tend to just get pissed and front. Kudos! :)

kuniklo

Post by kuniklo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:55 pm

In five or ten years software will be so much more powerful and sophisticated that almost all hardware will be museum pieces.