The Election Day Experience! Share your experience...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Religion was invented for one reason - to control the fucking idiots. Apparently it's still going on.
..?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:55 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:Religion was invented for one reason - to control the fucking idiots. Apparently it's still going on.
you be nice or it's back in the cage and NO BANANAS!!

he's representing a LARGE majority of people out there, just not the ones on online music forums. no need to fling poo.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:55 pm

Fizmarble wrote:Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
-The Bible

Sounds like a definition to me.
Sounds likes self-righteousness fuckwittery of the highest level to me.
..?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:55 pm

Tone Deft wrote:more interesting answers. :D
Fizmarble wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:try to take a moment and see it from an atheist's point of view (my point of view) it's very frustrating. the vast majority of people around me are making decisions that affect me based on things that simply do not exist. atheists have morality we just don't derive it from a book or a ancient traditions.
The martyrdom of many thousands suggest that some of the things you perceive to not exist, actually do exist and are worth dying for. Simply because you cannot see certain things, does not mean that they do not exist. (wind, sound pressure, atoms, radiation)
sure, and I can tell you that there's a teapot in orbit around Mars, is it up to me to convince that it's there or up to you to convince me that it's not there? clearly I have to convince you, the same goes with the existence of god.

as a science geek I wholly believe in and understand wind, sound pressure, atoms and radiation, in the big picture I think it makes much more sense that we're here out of complete random chance. 'god' is a label that's used for anything we don't understand. I find it insulting (strong word) that people think that goat herders from 2,000 years ago knew more about the universe than we do today, it flies against the face of reason (that's why the call it faith, right?)

if a god didn't exist it would be necessary to invent one, it's human nature.

is god on the internet? how would he access it? can he interpret the IP stack without a computer and just sense the EMI from the internet? does god use Live? it is eviL spelled backwards. ;)
Then being a fan of science, you know that life cannot come from the absence of life. Chaos is the stable condition and things never "fall into place" to form logic and order in the universe. Yet despite these bold truths, you "believe" that it happened somehow anyway. I think that you have perhaps a greater amount of faith than I do.

And God is already using Live 9 and enjoying the LFOs!!!!!!

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:56 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:Religion was invented for one reason - to control the fucking idiots. Apparently it's still going on.

he's representing a LARGE majority of people out there, just not the ones on online music forums. no need to fling poo.
Oh come on Tone, you think it's as much shite as I do. Why entertain it?
..?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

Oh come on Tone, you think it's as much shite as I do. Why entertain it?
it's how he honestly feels, nothing wrong with that. it's a choice/lifestyle I walked away from but there's no point in arguing with the guy.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:58 pm

Tone Deft wrote:

AND IMO he's completely cool... I've got my issues with religion as well, but I love/respect discussion and having discussion with people you don't agree with is not always easy, because people are not always this civil especially on the subject of religion.

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:59 pm

NorthernMonkey wrote:
-The Bible

Who is being self righteous and fuckwittish? Someone else glorifying a higher power? I don't get it. What is "self-righteous" about singing praises to one other than self? Does not compute. I think whatever discussion we might have had is over before it starts due to intolerance and faulty logic. Go in peace.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 am

Fizmarble wrote:

:lol:

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:00 am

In and out in five minutes. Of course, that was around 10 this morning, when a lot of people were at work.

ew

NorthernMonkey

Post by NorthernMonkey » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:01 am

Fizmarble wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote:
-The Bible

Who is being self righteous and fuckwittish? Someone else glorifying a higher power? I don't get it. What is "self-righteous" about singing praises to one other than self? Does not compute. I think whatever discussion we might have had is over before it starts due to intolerance and faulty logic. Go in peace.
Religion is the definition of intolerance. It encourages segregation on too many levels.
..?

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:09 am

NorthernMonkey wrote:
Fizmarble wrote:
NorthernMonkey wrote: Sounds likes self-righteousness fuckwittery of the highest level to me.
Religion is the definition of intolerance. It encourages segregation on too many levels.
I am sorry that you have never met Christ, and I am ashamed of the many that claimed to know him and failed to introduce him to you. Jesus and his followers love and have patience. Too many proclaim Christ and then push people away with nagging and fear-mongering. Who wants that? Jesus is a comforter, not a tyrant. In any case, I mean to agree with you that religion is divisive, and I want no part in that. I am not part of a religious group. I am part of a movement to spread love and brotherhood. We are all equal. Let's act like it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:12 am

nobody's really going to change anyone's minds here, it's just a discussion.
Fizmarble wrote:Then being a fan of science, you know that life cannot come from the absence of life.
the big bang and primordial goo turning into life haven't been reproduced in laboratories but god hasn't put in his $0.02 either. he's quoted in an ancient text written by man that's a narrow selection of other ancient texts, written down from generation after generation of oral traditions that was then eventually edited by a slave holding king.
Chaos is the stable condition and things never "fall into place" to form logic and order in the universe.
Darwin's theory of evolution speaks to that. plants and animals change very slowly, designs that work survive, designs that don't work die off. repeat that for a few million years and we get things like the platypus, kangaroos and Germans who write music software.
Yet despite these bold truths, you "believe" that it happened somehow anyway. I think that you have perhaps a greater amount of faith than I do.
I guess, faith (logic) in the math of probability that after billions of years of random chance that anything is possible and through evolution working systems evolve, getting better and better, more and more complex.

then there's the middle ground of 'intelligent design.'

one of the things in this arena that get under my skin is Bush's 'Faith Based Parks Initiative.' which has gone so far as to say that the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood and it's only a few thousand years old. poppy-cock!!!
http://www.theocracywatch.org/faith_base.htm
can you pray for OSC for me, please?!?!?!?!?!!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:14 am

O-M-F-G

I just got a robocall...
<sic>
phone voice - "did you hear Obama's definition of gay marriage?"
cuts to an Obama speech
Obama - "I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman and that gays can have civil unions."
phone voice - "you heard it from Obama, so support proposition 8."

8O wha???
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:23 am

ewistrand wrote:In and out in five minutes.
I feel sorry for your girlfriend. So did you go and vote yet? :D