OT I think Deadmau5 loves...himself

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:56 pm

On deadmau5's myspace, theres a new track "ghost n stuff".
Quite funny, and true at the end.

dubpixel

Post by dubpixel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:13 pm

my hero

dominicw78

Post by dominicw78 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:53 pm

I like some of his stuff, but does anyone else think that most of his songs sound like really cheesy regurgitated progressive house?

It's hard for me to get past that.

He seems more than willing to make music suited to gym work outs. Never seen him live though, does he play the cheesy epic vocal stuff in his sets also?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:04 pm

I hold him solely responsible for the genre's over use of the same chord melody as Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out Of My Head. Find a quick attack keys sound layered over a pad, adjust the drive throughout and there you go. Na na na nana na na na. Mau mau mau maumau mau mau mau.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 pm

wow, fuck deadmau5. kid is a twat really.

i hate most djs too. but its cause of their rockstar personalities. not because they suck at what they do.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:00 pm

aqua_tek wrote:Frankly, I'd do the same.
With a beer helmet and a bowl of nachos on the side.
You need the Beerbelly, the Winerack or the Cooler Scooter!

"The finest in stealth hydration..."

thelike5

Re: OT I think Deadmau5 loves...himself

Post by thelike5 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 am

rsagevik wrote:Why do DJ´s play an entire set with just their own tunes?
..or am I missing an important point about DJ´ing here somewhere?

Essential mix track list
I think Jeff Mills DJ's (mostly) his own tracks...

In his case, it works.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:17 am

Has he not missed that the only reason he is as big as he is, is cause other DJs are playing his records (why i dunno... they all sound exactly the same)... saying that, fair play to him, he's found himself a way to make cash without doing very much. If i found a recipe for cash stream i'd do the same.

jeskola

Re: OT I think Deadmau5 loves...himself

Post by jeskola » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:19 am

rsagevik wrote:Why do DJ´s play an entire set with just their own tunes?
..or am I missing an important point about DJ´ing here somewhere?

Essential mix track list
Probably the best exposure in dance music having your track on an essential mis - even more so if your djing and if so why not just make a couple hours long advert for yourself when you know millions are listening.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 am

Hmm,

He's just a bit young isn't he. And, I guess trying to be contraversial.
I think there is definitely room for both.

A good dj set will often times be more diverse than someones live set *(in my prefered choice of music which is the techno - deep house - minimal end of dance music). Dixon the other week at Secret Sundaze springs to mind, wickedly diverse set that seemed to hang together really well.

To be hoonest *most* of the really consistent performances I have seen have been predominatly dj oprientated, I guess in part cos you have got so much more music to choose from.
I mean is Deadmaus really saying that he considers his live set to be more valid than needle knocking from say Carl Craig, Ritchie Hawtin, Luciano, Danny T (operhaps not so much these days), Jeff Mills etc etc.

I understand his point but I think he's just trolling in a way :)

Quite funny tho. .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

karl

Post by karl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:29 pm

come on guys i think he,s got thye last laugh there,,,i try and play my own tracks when im d-j-ing but its only the newest ones for croud reactions,all the others apart from a few that work everytime i dont play because ive heard them 10 zillion times in my studio lol but like some one else said on this post its only an artist playing there own songs in a dj type fashion :D :D fair play 2 him :D

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:28 pm

He seems like a cool guy. Mind you, I'm going off one interview I saw on Beatportal.

I have nothing against him playing just his own tunes, or mostly his own tunes... Doesn't Eric Prydz do the same thing?
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

lola

Post by lola » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:36 pm

weeddigger wrote:He seems like a cool guy. Mind you, I'm going off one interview I saw on Beatportal.

I have nothing against him playing just his own tunes, or mostly his own tunes... Doesn't Eric Prydz do the same thing?
These days' the only way to live from it a bit is not the vinyl/cd/mp3?..sales,vinyl/cd market has collapsed since years.

Vinyl/cd/mp3 has become promotion material, so the only way to promote these media tools is to put it in a set.

I can't see the difference between playing your own tracks in a live set, or putting them in a dj set.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:06 pm

this subject is irrelevant to me, but i found this quote from Dave Seaman on another forum and thought it as lollerific:

"So the annual DJ Top 100 egofest results are in and, erm... I wasn't in it! Imagine my horror. What am I going to do now? That's it. It's all over surely. Well, not so fast Sunny Jim. This soldier ain't finished yet. Oh no! You're gonna have to try harder than that to get rid of me I thought. So I dried my eyes, dusted myself down and decided that actually it wasn't such a bad thing after all. Actually, I should be relieved because as I'm sure you've heard, this years latest dance music superstar Deadmau5 has gone on record as saying that he thinks all DJs are infact cunts! Which is a shame for him because, by his own reckoning, that makes him the 11th biggest cunt this year."

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:06 pm

this subject is irrelevant to me, but i found this quote from Dave Seaman on another forum and thought it was lollerific:

"So the annual DJ Top 100 egofest results are in and, erm... I wasn't in it! Imagine my horror. What am I going to do now? That's it. It's all over surely. Well, not so fast Sunny Jim. This soldier ain't finished yet. Oh no! You're gonna have to try harder than that to get rid of me I thought. So I dried my eyes, dusted myself down and decided that actually it wasn't such a bad thing after all. Actually, I should be relieved because as I'm sure you've heard, this years latest dance music superstar Deadmau5 has gone on record as saying that he thinks all DJs are infact cunts! Which is a shame for him because, by his own reckoning, that makes him the 11th biggest cunt this year."

:lol:
Last edited by aqua_tek on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.