SOLVED: MIDI shortcut for "arm current track"

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pat the dog

SOLVED: MIDI shortcut for "arm current track"

Post by pat the dog » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:58 pm

Well, I don't know if this is common knowledge, I think not as I've been trawling this forum for a solution for some time. But I seem to have found a way to Arm the currently focussed track using a midi controller button.

The solution is to set up a Control Surface as Tranzport in the live preferences window. Then you just need to send the midi data 90 00 7f and there you go!

I'm my particular case, I'm using an Edirol PCR-30 which has two MIDI output ports. So I've set up midi1 for regular use (notes & automation) and midi2 as the emulated tranzport.

When assigning the button, I just chose Free message, Data Type DT0: 7bit, latch mode, and entered the string above. Works perfectly.

For some other useful Tranzport emulation commands, try this link: http://frontierdesign.com/download/pdf/ ... ve_1_3.pdf.

Hope some of you find this useful!

onestep

Post by onestep » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 pm

You can also do the same with controlaid, right? With a Griffin Powermate for example.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:55 am

thats pretty handy to know!! :D
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:41 am

i fired up the midi monitor in logic to see exactly what command's being received, and it's simply midi note C-2 on channel 1 at max velocity (127).

i've also set up two buttons to emulate select track left (C2) and select track right (C#2) - together with track arm, this makes it really straightforward to move through tracks and arm them without the mouse.

koneko

Post by koneko » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:53 am

excellent!!
any idea of up/down, solo, mute etc.?

koneko

Post by koneko » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:20 pm

ok... these are figured out

note-- its on padkontrol, so take down an octave if needed

E0 - MUTE
G#-1 - SOLO
C-1 - ARM
B6 - REC
A#6 - PLAY
A6 - STOP
G6 - REW
E6 - PUNCH OUT
D#6 - PUNCH IN
D6 - LOOP ON/OFF
C#6 - jump mark forward
C6 - jump mark back
A#5 - set mark

C3 - track LEFT
C#3 - track RIGHT

E3 Launch Scene
C9 Launch Clip
Last edited by koneko on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blinkeye

Re: SOLVED: MIDI shortcut for "arm current track"

Post by blinkeye » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:04 am

pat the dog wrote:... Then you just need to send the midi data 90 00 7f and there you go!
... When assigning the button, I just chose Free message, Data Type DT0: 7bit, latch mode, and entered the string above.
Where do you change those settings?

emx

Post by emx » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:06 pm

hmmm thanks for your tip altho i m thinkin hard how can i solve it here. i m using emu xboard49 on usb.
- emx -

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:49 pm

koneko wrote:would be really nice to find out LAUNCH CURRENT CLIP
i cant remember if there was any midi assignment for it in LIVE (like launch scene) i see only launch track . . ?
Punch on the Tranzport launches the current clip. Shift+Punch launches the current scene.

Check this manual for more info…especially in regard to the data wheel functionality.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/download/ ... nzPort.pdf

AltReality

Scene up/down?

Post by AltReality » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:30 am

So here's the deal...I'm working on using Pure Data to use a Playstation 2 controller to emulate a Tranzport.

So far so good...I have all the functions listed mapped out...but I don't have a tranzport, so I can't tell if there are any others.

I'm especially interested in scene up and scene down commands.

Anyone want to help out?

Here's a link to my decimal - note conversion chart, as well as a link to my PD patch if anyone is interested...

Decimal-Note Conversion chart

-AltReality

baseinstinct

deep in the forest

Post by baseinstinct » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi

I have been wandering about the forum in search of clues how to configure Novation XStation controller to do things like Live dedicated controllers and this thread seems the most readable.

However, there are a few things which I don't understand. I would appreciate any help.

Here's what I have done so far:

-control surface: Tranzport
-midi in: Delta AP midi

-midi port input Tranzport input (Delta AP) TRACK and REMOTE set to ON

QUESTION
which one is it that should be on - transport or remote? My guess is remote for transport and track for solo, mute, etc - correct?

- try all the XStation's keys to see if any of the actions, like mute, arm or anything is performed; it is not, yet

-try to send "the midi data 90 00 7f ", following pat the dog's advice, but when configuring one of xstation's buttons to send this string it appeared that "90" can't be sysex, which is 00-7F, understandably, so how to send this string?

My guess is it must be other type of command, but neither rpn nor nrpn allows sending strings.

Up to this point my conclusion is

the novation's keys still do not work as transport yet because the operation is not activated by the mentioned string, so it seems to me I am one step away...

Is this true? How to make XStation or MIDIox send the string "90 00 7f" ?

Alternative interpretation is

as in the manual of tranzport all the midi strings start with 90, maybe it's a tranzport'z specific value?

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:51 pm

bump

obeyendevor

Post by obeyendevor » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:10 pm

transport looks pretty cool. I haven't read much into this thread so currently have no idea what is going on :( but I am always happy to read about mouseless djing

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:42 pm

bump 2

koneko

Post by koneko » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:53 pm

i PMed you. but anyway, you should look for Tranzport in control surface and not Remote SL