bass players - ElectroHarmonix micro synth or ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:09 pm

compressing your bass? that's so 80s/90s! (from someone who had the dbx as part of his rig.)

quandry

Re: bass players - ElectroHarmonix micro synth or ?

Post by quandry » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:48 pm

my favorite bass pedals of all time (and I've had a LOT, tried even more)

Akai Deep Impact: Lives up to it's name, great design, 9 super-tweakable presets, killer synth tones, great tracking, incredible octave preset. My favortie pedal by far, made at least twice as cool when combined with:

MoogerFooger Lo-pass filter: with two controller pedals for freq and cutoff, you can really shape the low end in real time. It is the perfect companion for synth-bassy pedals, as you can just use the freq. pedal to cut out all of the hi-end. The resonance pedal can actually get the filter to self resonate, the pitch of which can be controlled by the freq. pedal=insane oscilattor sweeps that can go reallly low down in the basement (like sub-20 Hz).
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

cacti

Post by cacti » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:11 am

jah4life wrote:
cacti wrote:this is cheaper, sounds better, and is easier to use:

cheaper? yes. easier to use? probably. sounds better? that is a very difficult question to answer definitively, but somehow I don't think it sounds better (maybe not worse, either though).

i have both, the micro has abetter warmer sound cuz its analog but the synthwah has better overall sounds and range of sounds

jah4life

Post by jah4life » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:29 am

fair enough, that certainly makes sense. i've used both, but i've much more experience with the microsynth, so you can see where my bias may come from.

cacti

Post by cacti » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:34 am

the microsynth sounds great for what it does but it just isnt versatile

jah4life

Post by jah4life » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:32 am

you're right, the microsynth has a limited range of sounds. it can get quite a bit of different stuff going on, but it's all got the same kind of "flavor" so to speak. i can see what you're saying, and how something like the digitech pedal will give you more diverse sounds.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:41 am

quandry - interesting pics. Akai Deep Impact, ~$700 on ebay and GREAT reviews. Mooger Fooger Lo-pass - saw one of those for about $100 more, trying to be good here, classic gear.
cacti wrote:the microsynth sounds great for what it does but it just isnt versatile
how dirty can you get? microsynth has the square wave and sub-osc, just sayin, don't mean to fanboy. all toys are welcome in my studio, feel free to leave them behind.
aisling wrote:Very Happy it's all good, they all have different flavors and assuming you use them, you'll find an application and purpose for them all. Besides, you're doing the global economy justice by buying something.......
true. read with Bean-O.

Mutron - classic, probably influenced the QTron? (n00b question.) I like all the youtubes on those, def on the list.

on the usynth...
there's the funky wah stuff but I got caught up in running this through some basic distortion patches on the PodXT. really big fat wall of sound distortion, the Pod and the microsynth greater together than the sum of their parts. you know when it sounds so nice you keep turning it up, and up and up until people complain but you don't really care?

the layout totally makes sense, I was wondering how it's a synth, it really is, a 4 (4 string bass) oscillator synth. dunno if it's analog or what.

back to it...

btw there's one more micro synth left at haight ashbury music in SF. $280. OG style, big metal case, I took the smaller, newer one.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

quandry

Post by quandry » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:06 am

Mutron definitely begat q-trons and other down sweeping filters

DZAMN! I had no idea that a)they stopped making the deep impact, and b)$700 wtf?!? I got it new seven or so years ago for $200 or so, sorry for the priicey suggestion.

moogerfooger lowpass is still made, can be had around $280
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... D=26018950

helps to have two cv pedals for another $80 or so. The moogerfooger isn't going to dramitcally change the bass sound like synth bass pedals or even qtron type filers, but it is definitely the phattest low pass filter for dialing out the highs and getting an almost tuba-like sound.
Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:43 pm

Is there anything out there that has a sawtooth capability? Hardware or software.

mrruby

one more funk box

Post by mrruby » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:44 pm

EHX Tube Zipper

for

sequenced Bass Synth

and Electric Bass

this thing is overlooked and under appreciated

its a funky monster with dials set right

also chunk sysytems agent funk pedal and others by them seem
pretty cool including a new bass synth pedal? (just found)

let there be funk!!!
http://soundcloud.com/superfuntime
ableton live 9
sackbut 2012

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Tone Deft wrote:oh god, I'm headed down the pedal whoring path
I played bass in a band for five years and tried out lots of stuff in that time. I found that with a thick distortion pedal + a simple wah + a delay that you can do a lot of cool shit without treading too much into the frequencies of the other instruments on stage. The quest of the bassist is to make the most of those four strings. You need to rely on creativity and not technology.

I interviewed Mike Watt when I was in college and he told me that playing bass is like being in a happy long term relationship. You only get to have sex with that one person so you have to stay creative to keep things interesting!

My favorite thing about playing bass is the silences between the notes. Think of that as your #1 effect.

xxxmorphicxxx

Post by xxxmorphicxxx » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:12 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:My favorite thing about playing bass is the silences between the notes. Think of that as your #1 effect.
That bears repeating.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:22 pm

yeah, nice advice.

on the flip side, I think it was BosonHovoc who wrote that turning to bass was a guilty pleasure, it's like he gets to solo constantly. I guess that's more on the advice Mike Watt was giving.

I'm finding that sometimes I'll write a longer bassline but I often end up looping a simple 1 or 2 note chunk of it, just for the groove, the 'space in between.'

re: pedal GAS, I need to get used to the Pod GUI and use it more, you're right, I probably don't need more pedals (wtf am I saying?!?!?!)

I'm really happy with the uSynth, the sub-ocatve and square wave settings into a nice distortion setting on the Pod sounds GREAT. long filter sweeps are great as well, simple slow playing, long twisting tones.

shit, now I just want to go home and play. :(
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:51 pm

All the tracks at the site below use the bass microsynth for processing a fender jazz bass, although I don't use the filter envelope, it's mainly for the noise / synth sounds. No other fx /preamps / anything, just straight from the microsynth into an audio interface.

http://www.thunderdrop.com

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:02 pm

im using this chain on almost everything, from bass to synths to drums:

Mesa Boogie V Twin Amp - EH micro bass synth - Moogerfooger Ring Modulator - Moogerfooger Delay.

sweet on microkorg right now...
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.