What would you fix or add to live ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:08 pm

bloody reverse in simpler

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:14 pm

I would make it more like a big modular synth, lots of patchability between everything and everything else !
EG: route the Operator keyboard tracking to the delay speed on the second return channel
route the audio from Sampler into the syntheis section of Tension

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Angstrom wrote:I would make it more like a big modular synth, lots of patchability between everything and everything else !
EG: route the Operator keyboard tracking to the delay speed on the second return channel
route the audio from Sampler into the syntheis section of Tension
Hohoho - that would be unbelievably cool. With tablet support to draw the patch cables across the screen. Gated reverb routed to clip scrub control!

Tweaking Knobs

Re: What would you fix or add to live ?

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:20 pm

8O wrote:
Tweaking Knobs wrote:- in the piano roll we dont need to be switching from the draw tool to the grab tool, mouses have 2 buttons (3 with the scrolling weel)
Sorry, disagree, lots of mac owners just have 1 button, plus lots like to work with laptop trackpads - I don't even own a mouse! I really like the fact that most Live features *don't* need a second mouse button (ctrl-click on mac) - this irked me a little on the old version of Traktor...
So what? the way i say is faster and more efficient.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:43 pm

Alright, alright, keep your allens on, just pointing out that it might not be a workflow improvement for some users, that's all. There are other alternatives like keyboard shortcuts/combinations, context/position sensitive commands, completely different editing paradigms that I have no idea of (:)) that might do the job equally efficiently, without pushing the user towards multi-button mice. I definitely see the advantages to your suggestion, but just think there might be other ways to do it for non-multi-button mouse users...

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Pretty much every mac user has right click. If they don't then they need to either use their trackpad or buy a mouse. any mouse.
Professional Shark Jumper.

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:05 pm

A simple phase flip (Polarity reverse) Ø in the Mixer section.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:42 pm

e.maynard wrote:A simple phase flip (Polarity reverse) Ø in the Mixer section.

why not use Utility, that's what that does

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:38 pm

I just want midi sync to work...

roby

Post by roby » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 pm

+1 for the tool box idea
+1 for the looping of unwarped audio clips :roll:
folder tracks
container audio clips: clips that contain audio clips inside
snap envelope points to grid :roll:
to be able to edit and change envelope point values numerically
native dummy clips :roll:
a pre-roll button on transport (i'm annoyed that i have to open the preference window every time i need pre-roll on or off :roll: )
more of a cool idea than me bitching: it would be cool for drum racks to have a feature that would freeze a drum pad, and also flatten into a wav. or aiff. loaded into a simpler or sampler. for example, if i make a synthetic kick with an instance of Operator, an i know that kick is going to be static and unchanged, i could right click it, select "freeze", a menu will show up asking for MIDI velocity value and note length, hit ok, and the pad would be frozen. one could unfreeze to adjust and tweak, or flatten to make permanent changes.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:39 pm

roby wrote: container audio clips: clips that contain audio clips inside
A really cool feature would be if you could load one Live set into another; in the form of an "Arrangement Clip".
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

e.maynard

Post by e.maynard » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Angstrom wrote:
e.maynard wrote:A simple phase flip (Polarity reverse) Ø in the Mixer section.

why not use Utility, that's what that does
Why not just a simple flip phase button?
The utility "works" but it's not as simple and straight forward as a "normal console's" flip phase button.

skipkent

Post by skipkent » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:15 pm

Make the arrange mode view a little easier on the eyes. As it is (for me) all the horizontal lines (when tracks are expanded) make it a little difficult sometimes to digest what's in front of me at a glance. A minor skinning issue, some background color behind the waveforms, perhaps, or thicker lines between each track.

Include more of the add-on extras as stock components. Stop charging so much for Sampler and the other extras. $130 for a Live-only string synth? No thanks. Am I the only one that finds the prices for these things insulting?

Session view sequencer. I'd like to have some dedicated way to trigger session view scenes via some sort of sequencing interface, so that I could experiment with (and record) different arrangements quickly and easily without necessarily having to do it 'live' with keystrokes, midi or whatever.

I also like the idea of management for multiple takes and/or folder tracks, but this may not be practical within the Live paradigm. Live is irreplaceable as it is, and can't be all things to everyone.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:19 pm

lola wrote:A detachable midi grid

arrange updates session when edit

Edit toolboxes

More GUI options

3th party vst multi outs unfolding in tracks
Add to this resizing improvements in the Arrangement page (not smooth at all and jumps to different sizes when you select all tracks to resize) AFA GUI improvements.

Plus allow control surfaces to automate instrument tracks! At this point both the Remote SL and the Mackie Control I have do not see Drum rack sub tracks! Makes them useless for submixing in my case as I can't use the devices I bought to speed that process up!

The MIDI piano roll is the one thing that kills me in Live, drives me batty constantly having to resize it to workon tracks.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:31 pm

smutek wrote:support goddamn bloody wacom and other pen tablets for gods sake
+