Ableton running on windows on a mac

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nrg-records

Ableton running on windows on a mac

Post by nrg-records » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi,

Right now I m using ableton on a regular pc. But I m thinking of moving to mac. But still I use a lot of VSTs which only work on windows. So I thought about running windows parallel on a mac to still use those VSTs.
So mac as a computer - running windows with ableton.

Do you think that there are or might be some problems ?

Okay now people could ask why I don't stay with windows. But right now I produce on 2 systems (windows and mac), as I m also into the apple producer software. And it really bugs me to work on two seperate systems. And in the future I want to keep just one system.

thanks for you help...

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:16 pm

You'll have performance problems with any DAW inside a virtual machine like that.

If you use bootcamp and boot windows natively on the mac it should work fine though.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

fiz

Post by fiz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm on a MacBook and currently have Live running on both systems. It works fine on Windows for the most part, though I have to run it straight from Boot Camp and avoid Parallels, because Parallels creates a huge drag in overall responsiveness. VMWare Fusion might be better for that -- I've heard it is.

Also, for me, I can't get my FireWire audio interface (Edirol FA-66) to be picked up as a new hardware device in BootCamp. I'm running Windows XP (Service Pack 2), and have researched the wonky audio issues associated with it, but I haven't been able to fix it. Maybe a different interface would work...I'm not sure.

Even so, it's awesome to have access to Windows-only VST's when I really want them.

nrg-records

Post by nrg-records » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:53 pm

Oh good to hear.

Well the audio interface should work at least. I usually use the regular USB conection for mine.

thanks a lot :)

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:39 pm

tempus3r wrote:If you use bootcamp and boot windows natively on the mac it should work fine though.
I do this all the time and it works fine. 8)
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:08 pm

I got Parallels but haven't got around to setting up Windows with it yet. I might just go the bootcamp route instead if there are too many performance issues running Live in Parallels.

dysanfel

Re: Ableton running on windows on a mac

Post by dysanfel » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:36 pm

nrg-records wrote: But I m thinking of moving to mac. But still I use a lot of VSTs which only work on windows.
The strategies mentioned above are great, but part two of the strategy should be to slowly begin moving to OSX. I did it. It was difficult at times, but now my work flow is much better.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:01 pm

fiz wrote:I'm on a MacBook and currently have Live running on both systems. It works fine on Windows for the most part, though I have to run it straight from Boot Camp and avoid Parallels, because Parallels creates a huge drag in overall responsiveness. VMWare Fusion might be better for that -- I've heard it is.

Also, for me, I can't get my FireWire audio interface (Edirol FA-66) to be picked up as a new hardware device in BootCamp. I'm running Windows XP (Service Pack 2), and have researched the wonky audio issues associated with it, but I haven't been able to fix it. Maybe a different interface would work...I'm not sure.

Even so, it's awesome to have access to Windows-only VST's when I really want them.
What specifications of computer are you using? I wonder if I max out my RAM then I can get Parallels to run smoothly with some things. I only want one or two windows-only things and it's going to be a pain rebooting when I want them.

fiz

Post by fiz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 pm

duluxdog wrote:What specifications of computer are you using? I wonder if I max out my RAM then I can get Parallels to run smoothly with some things. I only want one or two windows-only things and it's going to be a pain rebooting when I want them.
Intel C2D MacBook, 4GB RAM, 2.0 GHz, Parallel's 3.0

Parallel's 3.0 works great for running MS Office, but it sucks for running Live. The mouse drags noticeably.

Parallel's 4.0 might run better. But at this point I'm kind of burned out on Parallel's. I wish I'd gone with VMWare's Fusion. For now I'll just use BootCamp. But if you go for Parallel's 4.0 and have good luck, please report back.

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:26 am

Ok - tell you what, i'll get VMWare Fusion and find out if it runs any better on that. It might be worth it. I have a friend who has tried both Parallels and VMWare and advised VMWare to be a lot better.