Quitting my inofficial job as Ableton's Vista support guy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Wellwellwell my brooks. Back to topic. Ableton finally publically acknowledges GUI related performance problems on Vista. They did via private email before but left it to the forum to help all those poor souls who fell into that pit.

Now all we have to do is wait for a paid update to finally bring full Vista compatibility (just when I bought a Mac, dang).
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:58 pm

good for you..!

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:00 pm

Sorry, nearly forgot about this one, too much spam in this thread to keep an overview.
nebulae wrote:^ let's give him a chance...

what do you say, timur...give up crash, come back as timur, and be part of the community again...
You seem to miss that I am very much part of this community, eventhough mostly with the less aggressively posting members.

And one reason why I am still posting under the pseudonym Crash (after having given up the "Crash character" after about two weeks of irony and fun posting) is that it wouldn`t make sense to ask Ableton to reinstate a profile that I asked to be deleted. They`ve got enough work on their hands with my many other more important requests. Besides, Crash is a very fitting allegory. (months of waiting for some very crucial crash-fixes after experiencing 100+ crashes in 2 days, yeeha) :twisted:
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Crash wrote:Wellwellwell my brooks. Back to topic. Ableton finally publically acknowledges GUI related performance problems on Vista. They did via private email before but left it to the forum to help all those poor souls who fell into that pit.

Now all we have to do is wait for a paid update to finally bring full Vista compatibility (just when I bought a Mac, dang).
Good! We need a good tester for 10.6 compatibility :lol:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:53 am

Crash wrote:Sorry, nearly forgot about this one, too much spam in this thread to keep an overview.

what do you say, timur...give up crash, come back as timur, and be part of the community again...
You seem to miss that I am very much part of this community, eventhough mostly with the less aggressively posting members.

And one reason why I am still posting under the pseudonym Crash (after having given up the "Crash character" after about two weeks of irony and fun posting) is that it wouldn`t make sense to ask Ableton to reinstate a profile that I asked to be deleted. They`ve got enough work on their hands with my many other more important requests. Besides, Crash is a very fitting allegory. (months of waiting for some very crucial crash-fixes after experiencing 100+ crashes in 2 days, yeeha) :twisted:
you see, my friend, this is your problem...I made a sincere attempt to appeal to your better nature, and all you can do is twist it back to the axe you have to grind...I think you're beyond hope.

I wish you well.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 am

nebulae wrote:
Crash wrote:Sorry, nearly forgot about this one, too much spam in this thread to keep an overview.

you see, my friend, this is your problem...I made a sincere attempt to appeal to your better nature, and all you can do is twist it back to the axe you have to grind...I think you're beyond hope.

I wish you well.
can I be next?!?!?!?! what's MY problem?

Timur - don't mistake "irony and fun posting" for being a d0uche.

btw you missed one important 'inofficial' bug. people have to be loving
that one.
:P

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:44 am

I don't understand a thing. What axe and what better nature? Apart from my apparent oppinion about Ableton Support failing to do their job, based on both personal experience and perceptions on the forum, I don't wield no axe at all and spend most of my posts helping other people. You need me better than that? Be a better role model yourself.

It's not like I only ask others/Ableton to do their best. This is the fourth night I worked through now and another 16h in a row in order to get other people's (or is it peoples'?) PCs to work premium well in the shortest amount of time possible. I probably wont be able to bring all work-hours to account, but I am satisfied that everything is working smooth and top-notch and that these people can enjoy a better and safer working-enviroment now.

Well, and I was made remembering why I prefer doing music and music tech to doing office computer installations. But hey, it's paying for the shiney new Macbook Pro thingy. :roll: ugguffz zzzZZZ

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:26 am

Crash wrote:...Ableton Support failing to do their job, based on both personal experience and perceptions on the forum...
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I really don't think "perceptions on the forum" bear this out.

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 44&start=0

I honestly think you'll find far more forum-ites who are happy, and beyond happy with Abe support.

Errr... anyone? Abe support: Good/Bad?
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:47 am

Pitch Black wrote:
Crash wrote:...Ableton Support failing to do their job, based on both personal experience and perceptions on the forum...
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I honestly think you'll find far more forum-ites who are happy, and beyond happy with Abe support.

.... and this is where it breaks down or crashes! :lol:

The burning question is will crash be able to accept that for 99% of the people out there, their experience with Ableton support has been overwhelmingly positive?

Sorry man, I'm teasing you a bit, but you come on REALLY strong with this dogging of Ableton. Dog them for a specific bug, fine!
Dog them for 128 parameter limit being only recently mentioned as possibly being able to be re-arranged to fit parameters that you would like to control with hardware or automate, great! I'm there with you!
Dog them for a bug that screws up a lot of people on Windows, that hinders your workflow to a degree, fine, great I hear you.

BUT! talk about how awful it is that they LIED! or took far too long to fix a bug????? this is where it's obvious you simply haven't been using DAWs for music for very long, and are not aware of how much work it takes, and how little money is involved in this business. The software is cheap cheap cheap, if you think about what it cost to do this before computers it's frightening.
A Synclavier was $50,000 with no frills, and you still needed a recording studio to track it into.

.... blah! We've been over all this! Basically Software this complex is never perfect, there's always room for improvement, and bugs do exist. I'm happy you take the time to try to put some critical thinking to it, that's a big help, it's the lack of care about other people's critical input, and the constant nagging at Ableton like they aren't doing their job good enough for you..... when for 99% of the people out there it's more than good enough.

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 am

Pitch Black wrote: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I did not claim that I perceived other forum members to be unhappy with Ableton Support. But I perceived that Vista specific support was non-existant and that Ableton officials usually stay away from any Midi Sync related help requests and discussions eventhough these rightfully come up quite often.

Vista/Aero specific issues where acknowledged via email in July and are known since January. They actively rely on the circumstance that most people will just blame Vista/Microsoft for the performance problems. That is so lame! (does anyone still use this word?)

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:13 am

4 pages and no comment about the word 'inofficial'??????????
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 am

Machinesworking wrote:.... blah! We've been over all this! Basically Software this complex is never perfect, there's always room for improvement, and bugs do exist.
Obviously we have not been all over this, because I repeatedly stated that I do not ask for the impossible by requesting "perfect" software. I know it's complex.

I am asking for proper support (and some better Quality Assurance to begin with to keep the hassle away from Support in the first place).

Anyway, Support finally begins to tell people a part of Vista related GUI problems. Guess we can expect a shiney pay-for update with "Incredibly great Vista enhancements" on the first anniversary of the issues report in January. That is when german/european warranty laws will come in effect.

crumhorn

In support of Crash

Post by crumhorn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:16 pm

This thread reminds me of Cool Hand Luke.

~ "you're gonna get your mind right... And I mean right."

Seriously, Crash has helped me to get Live running on my Vista box more than anyone else on this forum.
So personally I hope he hangs around.
(But I'm hoping there will be no repeats of the infamous code of behaviour/moderation threads).

I also respect him for continually debunking many of the myths about PC performance tweaking
that come up again and again- some of which seem go back to Windows 3.1.

Give the guy some respect for actually trying to help people out instead of just
repeating the same old hearsay that goes around on forums.

One thing I hate about internet forums is the Thought Police that always spring up to
perpetuate the local myths and taboos.
Posting "Microsoft Sucks". "Vista Sucks" or "M-audio sucks" and "Live rules", "OSX Rules". "RME rules" at every opportunity.
(The subtext being "You suck for using the M-Audio and Windows and I Rule because I've got a Mac and an RME interface)

Hardly anyone seems to be interested in rational debate or facts, much easier to just go along with the herd.

We need more people like Crash to help counteract these tendencies.
(Just as long as he doesn't start posting hateful bile again - like in the thread I mentioned before).

Anyway that's enough ranting for one day - things to do.

(thread edited to put in line breaks because of Posters stupid smileys)
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Crash

Re: In support of Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:54 pm

crumhorn wrote:We need more people like Crash to help counteract these tendencies.
(Just as long as he doesn't start posting hateful bile again - like in the thread I mentioned before).
Thanks for the flowers and don't worry about the "hateful bile", that was mostly just playing a role as an "archetypical" forum bitch, a satire. If you read through some of my posts you may notice that I often seem aloof and maybe even overconfident, but seldomly unfriendly or even insulting (except for some regular use of sarcasm when it feels appropriate). :twisted:

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Here's my unofficial Vista support for you:

1: Uninstall Vista
2: Install XP
3: Wait for Windows 7 or start saving for a Mac

:D