music should be free!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: !

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:49 pm

forge wrote:the context in which you and tone both mentioned it suggested that you feel better about buying CDs, even though they are used and the artist will get no money for that transaction
the CD is a 16 bit 44.1k PCM archive of the album complete with liner notes and artwork FFS. still, I like the "sell me a .jpg" answer. forget ALL the sound quality discussions, you're just relying on the rip some person in the world made, your music library can't sound good.

you're a Tom Waits fan but ripped the CD from the library?? you're no fan. I'm telling Tom.

zappen

Post by zappen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:55 pm

lola wrote:
zappen wrote:it's phisical! on your hard disk! and is much similiar to the content of a CD!
infact you can cut it, effect it, remix it, as any other phisical music format
Can you touch it?, does it smill like vinyl? can you watch it's groove, does it have a carton sleeve with artwork, does it have vinyl distortion and compression, :?:
YES you can touch a usb key or a memory card, even an hard disk!
and you know what, it can store lot more songs than a vinil.

just because it doesn't have all those things stricktly related to vinyls, it doesn't mean it's not phisical, do you sniff cds? or used to sniff tapes? well you can sniff a usb key too.. or a memory card.. it prolly smeels of somethi ng too.. and still you can watch it spinning in your favourite djdeck app... or put realtime effects on it. oh see, ableton has a vinyl distortion and compression effects too!

i think just you are soo in love with your vinyls, but tecnology changes.. with or without you!

and FYI, many web designers and media workers do buy high quality .jpgs for their works

zappen

Post by zappen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 pm

just to prove again that is phisical, try hit hard your vinil with a hammer, then do the same with a harddisk, memorycard, usbkey, don't they get both phisically broken?

zappen

Post by zappen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:11 pm

double post..

lola

Post by lola » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:23 pm

zappen wrote:
i think just you are soo in love with your vinyls, but tecnology changes.. with or without you!
Eh...no offence but maybe you watch to much http , vinyl is not something that is from the past its very much alive!, considering major artists, not meaning electronic music perse, but a lott of those artists press Cd's AND vinyl, that market grows.

zappen

Post by zappen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:48 pm

lola wrote:
zappen wrote:
Eh...no offence but maybe you watch to much http , vinyl is not something that is from the past its very much alive!, considering major artists, not meaning electronic music perse, but a lott of those artists press Cd's AND vinyl, that market grows.

if you write here you are watching some good portions of http aswell :)
man vinyl is from the past! anyway we'll see how much the vinyls will be used in 5 years from now.. or even less

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:17 pm

Patch wrote:The time has come that musicians don't need labels, or record companies, or distributors anymore. We're not completely gonna do away with 'em, but they are not completely necessary now.

Is this a bad thing?

Don't forget - an "artist" is someone that does what they do for the love of it, not for the money/fame/notoriety that it generates.
AMEN!

And to add you should be giving away your music form free until you are way up there on the charts. I had a friend last night that went to Smashing Pumpkins in Chicago. Billy asked the crowd if they just didn't like the music any more, and asked why no one buys CD's. Information is going to be more free as time goes on. Music and programs are not exempt.

I truly believe that NIN, Saul Williams and Radio Head is doing it right!
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

lola

Post by lola » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:14 pm

zappen wrote:
lola wrote:
zappen wrote:

if you write here you are watching some good portions of http aswell :)
man vinyl is from the past! anyway we'll see how much the vinyls will be used in 5 years from now.. or even less
LOL@past

lola

Post by lola » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:19 pm

darkcatt wrote:
I truly believe that NIN, Saul Williams and Radio Head is doing it right!
Yea.cool heh,they already established themselves and they already filled their pockets with a lot of cash!!!,

they can do these kind of things

They are a real example for the independent musician who wanted to make a living out of it. (NOT)

If they set this as an example, how to motivate people to buy from a unknown name?

People will say" oh why should i PAY cash for this unknown artist, NIN gives it out for free!"

:roll:

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:10 pm

Creativity is a gift and the gifted will continue to create without regard for reward and they will be rewarded for their greatness because the impact of a great song will always break through and be heard.

The rest of us can dream, write, hope to touch the world this way.

T-
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:18 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Creativity is a gift and the gifted will continue to create without regard for reward and they will be rewarded for their greatness because the impact of a great song will always break through and be heard.

T-
Lame.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:26 pm

Baron von Case wrote:
ChiDJ wrote:Creativity is a gift and the gifted will continue to create without regard for reward and they will be rewarded for their greatness because the impact of a great song will always break through and be heard.

T-
Lame.
Agreed. Inspiration is the result of work, not a heavenly gift from above. I kind of sound like a fortune cookie here, but I'm going with it.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:04 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
forge wrote:the context in which you and tone both mentioned it suggested that you feel better about buying CDs, even though they are used and the artist will get no money for that transaction
the CD is a 16 bit 44.1k PCM archive of the album complete with liner notes and artwork FFS. still, I like the "sell me a .jpg" answer. forget ALL the sound quality discussions, you're just relying on the rip some person in the world made, your music library can't sound good.

you're a Tom Waits fan but ripped the CD from the library?? you're no fan. I'm telling Tom.

nah I was talking about paid downloads versus 2nd hand CDs and how the artists can only get money from the download

never mind, point's been made, I'm not making any big point, just saying I find it slightly amusing that it's apparently psychologically better to buy 2nd hand CDs even though the artist doesn't profit from it

The Tom Waits anecdoe was just to include myself in there as Sales Dood apparently took it personally! ;-) :lol: 8)

I never made it to the library anyway BTW - I just found it funny when I realised the strange logic I was following

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:07 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Inspiration is the result of work, not a heavenly gift from above. I kind of sound like a fortune cookie here, but I'm going with it.
Time to change the topic of the badly beaten dead horse...

Anyone else really annoyed by the fact that fortune cookies no longer give fortunes? I don't want some fucking new age bullshit like "A bird in the hand is worth two in the pants." Give me a fucking REAL fortune you shitty cookie..."You will die in 15 minutes." Now that I can live with!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:15 pm

forge wrote: Sales Dood apparently took it personally! ;-) :lol: 8)
Just for a frame of reference in the future, I pretty much don't take anything on here (or any other Internety sort of thing) personally. :) It may sound like I'm taking stuff persoanlly from time to time, but regardless, I'm here for lolz and to learn, and to help folks from time to time. Oh, and to challenge Tone Deft to the occasional Abletonoff.