Where'd Page Up and Page Down quick transpose go?

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
kyleklip

Where'd Page Up and Page Down quick transpose go?

Post by kyleklip » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:12 pm

I used to love improvising in-clip transpositions using the quick 12-tone jumps possible with the Page Up and Page Down buttons. Recent versions of Live have not included this very useful feature! Where'd it go?!?

I am on OSX 10.4 G4.

~Kyle
creative faculties, fingersnaps and handclaps, random household objects, microphones, a computer sometimes, guitars, etc.

8O

Post by 8O » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:59 am

Hi, see here: http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=99043 - hopefully getting it (back again?) for L8. Just out of interest, which version of Live did you use where it was supported?

kyleklip

Post by kyleklip » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:38 am

That is a shame, because I was using this feature with some enthusiasm in Live versions 4-7. It seems that one of the more recent upgrades to Live 7 disabled this feature.

This change should certainly be resolved in a bug fix, and not a full upgrade. Why pay more money to have a pre-existing feature re-instated?

As much as I love Ableton as a company, and have been a loyal paying customer for some time, I suggest that people find a pirate copy of Live 7 (which was released before this feature deletion) and use it instead, since this version still retains this much-needed feature.
creative faculties, fingersnaps and handclaps, random household objects, microphones, a computer sometimes, guitars, etc.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:26 am

kyleklip wrote:
As much as I love Ableton as a company, and have been a loyal paying customer for some time, I suggest that people find a pirate copy of Live 7 (which was released before this feature deletion) and use it instead, since this version still retains this much-needed feature.
what a dick!

why use a pirate copy just to get an old version ? if you want an old version you can download it from ableton. All the old versions are available right here if you want one .

you really feel so strongly about this change that you want to steal the whole application? yep, that's "love" aright.

I felt so strongly about your post I killed your mother, and I advise everyone else to do the same.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 am

8O

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Angstrom wrote:
kyleklip wrote:
what a dick!

why use a pirate copy just to get an old version ? if you want an old version you can download it from ableton. All the old versions are available right here if you want one .

you really feel so strongly about this change that you want to steal the whole application? yep, that's "love" aright.

I felt so strongly about your post I killed your mother, and I advise everyone else to do the same.
Could it be, dear Mr. RentoRant, that you missed to point that poor guy to where exactly on Ableton's wonderful website old versions can be found?

You surely did not just assume that he knows how to manually type the name of the old version into the URL field of his browser in vain hope that he might be able to find one of the old versions, did you?

That being said I advice everyone strongly to never delete old versions of Live unless you are absolutely certain the most current one fits your needs. Not to imagine what would have happened had I delete .9 when installing .10, I would have been left with an unuseable (crashCrashCRASH) version of Live for well nearly 3 months now (or forced to install the fourth time-limited beta). Always keep copies of old versions!
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:28 pm

could it be that I decided against posting the url for some reason?

he's a flaming tantrum throwing nut, why should I help him more than I did?

I gave a clue, that's enough.
he can redeem his daftness by using his brain to find the rest.

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Maybe it just should not be easier to eMule/Donkey past versions of Live than it is to download them from the official Webpage?

Kyleklip seems to be a paying customer. He did not ask to use a crack, but stated that he will download the "cracked" version in order to find an old version (which likely is just a Trial/Official + Key/Crack). He likely did so because there are no links whatsoever on the offical website.

There is no need to call him names, it's not his fault.
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:59 pm

As much as I love Ableton as a company, and have been a loyal paying customer for some time, I suggest that people find a pirate copy of Live 7
My car's ABS braking isn't working right, so I suggest everyone goes to steal some cars

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Angstrom wrote:My car's ABS braking isn't working right, so I suggest everyone goes to steal some cars
My car's ABS braking isn't working right and the manufacturer doesn't offer working ABS braking. I suggest everyone look elsewhere aka third-party aka "pirate" for working ABS braking.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:22 pm

incorrect logic

if that is your best attempt then give up

something is "broken" so that means you can steal it?
And because you consider it "broken" that means the preferable alternative is the stolen one? Over the freely available legitimate one?

that is the logic you are going with here?

Great, because my laptop monitor out is a bit flaky and I've only had it a few years - I'm off out to steal a new one, and I recommend everyone else does too. Timur says it's equivalent to getting the manufacturer to fix it - so that's OK.

kyleklip

Post by kyleklip » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:17 pm

Ok. I admit that was total flame bait.

Still, my frustration exists. It seems strange to me that such a nice piece of existing functionality would be removed from the software. For someone to offer a "remedy" to that as being "wait until you can pay more money to upgrade the next version" is not a remedy at all.

I appreciate the responses to this thread that offer solutions rather than churlishly dismiss my earnest problem with inflammatory and useless trolling. It seems to me that there are some rules to behavior on this list, and that certain members would do well to read them. It was my impression that these threads are for support, not mean-spirited word-vomit.

kyleklip

Post by kyleklip » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Plus, how is it stealing if I use a pirated version of a software version that I've already paid for? I'm not going outside of my license by installing on additional computers. I just want my previous functionality that was lost to me.

It's not like I "broke" the version that I bought. Ableton broke it, in a "bug fix" that was likely just to have a version that would produce sets incompatible with the earlier pirate version.

Anyone with actual useful comments will be appreciated to reply. Otherwise, get some therapy.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:19 am

it was total flame bait , you said it yourself. It was real "throwing the toys out of the pram" nonsense. Of course it isn't "stealing" if you own a version, but it is completely insane to install a crack rather than the official version of 7.09. And it's weird to say " I suggest that people find a pirate copy of Live 7" rather than just download a legitimate older version.

win
http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... 709_en.zip

mac
http://www.ableton.com/_common/download ... 709_en.dmg

Yes, it is weird that they removed these buttons, no I have no idea why they did it.

kyleklip

Post by kyleklip » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:44 am

Thanks. What I MEANT to say was "[If they need to use this discontinued feature] I suggest that people find a pirate copy of Live 7".

I guess what we mean and what we say doesn't always gel.