Quitting my inofficial job as Ableton's Vista support guy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:08 pm

Crash wrote:Oh, I don`t feel bashed by you, others show alot more disappreciation. You seem rather reasonable and friendly lately. :oops: ;)
that's because we're not talking audio, just you. ;)

"disappreciation" - that's another new word.
How do you like my new xx( pic?
it's OK, pretty huge. personally I don't mind HUGE pics as much as the people that NEVER change their pics, that's just lazy and unimaginative.

Crash

Post by Crash » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:01 pm

Tone Deft wrote:that's because we're not talking audio, just you. ;)
Wish it was different, but people regulary find me more interesting than my thread's topics.
"disappreciation" - that's another new word.
Yah, isn't that great? It just slipped out of my mind. I checked back via dict.cc and it seems to be a valid word. Maybe I once read it somewhere, or more likely, my scottish teach might have used it.
it's OK, pretty huge. personally I don't mind HUGE pics as much as the people that NEVER change their pics, that's just lazy and unimaginative.
The size is dictated by the original popup created by Live, I just added some original artwork to it. :twisted:

By the way, I understand very well what you were saying, so my answers are well conceived and not just a result of ignorance or misinterpretation. :wink:
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:00 am

Crash wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:It's hilarious how this plays out. I say, hey you ask for bug free software which is near impossible in the DAW world, and you come back denying that you do, then dogging on Ableton for not having proper Q&A and proper support. EXACTLY why people get frustrated with you right there in one post. :wink:
Ok, simplyfied:

1. Realistically I don`t expect complex software to ship bugfree, albeit it should be as bugfree as possible
2. Live 7 shipped when every betatester knew it was too early.
3. Some issues/bugs are so blantantly obvious (huge CPU load on Vista Classic) that it makes you wonder wether there has even been QA on that part of Live.
4. I expect bugs to be reproduced and acknowledged by Support after a detailed report.
5. I expect Support to publish acknowledged bugs in order to save their customers/users from stumbling over them beforehand.
6. I expect acknowledged bugs to be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Not months and years, but weeks!

Are you really not able to tell the difference between 1 and 6?
So when, ( in reference to 6. ), did you do the testing to determine how long it would take Ableton to fix these bugs? What exactly about their code are you so familiar with that allowed you inside information on how easy said bug was to fix???? You have no idea how long, or if even a bug fix will require serious rewrite of base code for them. Like I said, I'm there with you on wanting the software to work, I'm just well aware of how little money these companies actually have at their disposal, and that I'm not actually capable of determining the length of time it would take to rewrite code to fix a bug. You seem to think you know how long it would take???

Your biggest gripe has been with Vista support, which is what I would call grey territory, Vista is VERY different than XP, and as good as acknowledged by Microsoft as not all they wanted it to be.... the fact is most (95% I bet) audio people use XP, because a new OS brings new problems for audio software. OSX had at least 4 years before it was a working environment for audio that didn't screw up some piece of software I owned. The reality is MOTU, who coded for Mac since 84 had a really tough time of it..... Vista isn't that different, but new bugs with new OS concepts are common, that's all.

Bottom line is you cannot determine how long a bug will take to fix, yet you stated very clearly that you expected them to fix it within weeks., so you in effect are not acknowledging that all software, especially complex software like Live, Cubase, Logic etc. has bugs.

You clearly haven't used audio software for that long, not because you aren't intelligent or don't have a good grasp of the environment, but because you expect that the code is as simple as Photoshop or Dreamweaver etc. DAWs are a nightmare to code according to EVERY programmer I've known, and they are filled with crazy amounts of dependancies compared to pretty much anything else besides maybe video editing software, and even then I'm pretty sure between audio and MIDI drivers, VST, AU, hardware controllers etc. some of us get far more complex! it's pretty amazing this stuff runs at all.

Like I said before I hear you on being upset about a bug, but the fact is audio software is buggy. The only relatively bug free DAW is Reason, and it's hardly a DAW.

Back in 2002, Logic 4.8 on OS9 was bug free for me. That's how far back I have to go to find the kind of experience you're looking for. Sorry to burst your bubble, but six years from now, you'll be telling someone this. :lol:

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:19 am

First I need to remind you about the topic of this thread:

I pointed out that Ableton Support finally and for the first time ever (as far as the search function reveals and my own experience of providing that kind of support to other users for months) publically suggests users to turn on Aero in Vista in order to workaround performance issues with Live. You keep talking to me about bug-free code, I keep talking about how bugs are handled. :idea:

Now let's talk about what bugs you, even if the basis is a bit off:
Machinesworking wrote:You have no idea how long, or if even a bug fix will require serious rewrite of base code for them.
As a customer, I don't have to care what internal problems keeps them from delivering results as long as they chose not to inform me. If they need this long I can expect them to tell me it's gonna take long and that they will offer me a free bug-fix once it's available. They don't have to meet my expectations, but that doesn't mean I have to expect less.

It is Ableton that is clearly and publically claiming that their software is Vista compatible. They know it isn't but don't tell their customers about it. Alot of people are wasting hours and days of time trying to make Live run on Vista because of Ableton's misinformations.
Like I said, I'm there with you on wanting the software to work, I'm just well aware of how little money these companies actually have at their disposal
Live is one of the most expensive DAWs out there (not counting in DigiDesign hardware) and for what if brings in features with its basic version it's even more expensive when you go for the full Suite. Add to that that Ableton is shelving out new paid-for versions once a year compared to how seldom other software DAWs publish paid-for updates.

Even if software DAWs are relatively inexpensive to the real deal studio hardware then it's the company who decided to sell to big masses for relatively little money instead of asking premium for only premium users. Modern harddrives cost less than a promille of what you paid per GB only a few years back, but still I expect them save my data as reliable as possible.
Your biggest gripe has been with Vista support, which is what I would call grey territory, Vista is VERY different than XP, and as good as acknowledged by Microsoft as not all they wanted it to be....
It's irrelevant what Microsoft's sales-hopes are. Ableton states Vista compatibility and their QA didn't realize an issue so unbelievebly obvious that in fact they should warn every customer from using Live on Vista with a big red sticker on every package. Is it so hard to put a freaking README into the installation package, GDMT? At least tell your customer to stay away from Vista until you solve the issues! :x
Vista isn't that different, but new bugs with new OS concepts are common, that's all.
We are not talking about small issues here, but about Live being effectively unuseable without Aero for anything but the simplest tasks, even worse, dragging down the whole system! And they can't freaking tell their customers about that? What about all those guys who buy laptops with Vista Basic preinstalled? There is no Aero possible with those! And even with Aero being enabled there are considerable drawbacks that Ableton knows about but doesn't tell sh*t to their customers!

Besides, these are not complex audio-software related problems we are talking about. Live uses some exotic system-calls for GUI drawing which they claim have been changed my Microsoft with Vista. No other software on my PC shows these problems (including two other DAWs and all NI plugins), so obviously no other software uses these system-calls.

I do understand that Ableton was taken by surprise by this move, but I do not understand that not only did they not recognize it when supposedly they should have tested Vista compatibility, but it took them 6 months to acknowledge the problem in a private email and after nearly one year they still don't inform their customers about it publically. That's really, really bad business behavior.
Bottom line is you cannot determine how long a bug will take to fix, yet you stated very clearly that you expected them to fix it within weeks., so you in effect are not acknowledging that all software, especially complex software like Live, Cubase, Logic etc. has bugs.
Ok, nail me down to each word, I should have written "not months and years, but weeks and months", but, you know, weeks is months, too. We are talking about a product here that has an average life-cycle of only one (1) year. Live 8 is already knocking on the doors and I still cannot use my Live 7 on Vista.
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:11 pm

Crash wrote:Live 8 is already knocking on the doors and I still cannot use my Live 7 on Vista.
Just curious, but why do you say you "cannot" use Live 7 on Vista.

I had problems with Live 6, even with Aero theme enabled and all DPC blocking drivers disabled - So I'm currently testing with the 14 day tiail version of Live 7.

It seems perfectly reliable, even with the wireless network enabled. But I'd appreciate your input before I spend my euros on the upgrade.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 pm

Crash wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Like I said, I'm there with you on wanting the software to work, I'm just well aware of how little money these companies actually have at their disposal
Live is one of the most expensive DAWs out there (not counting in DigiDesign hardware) and for what if brings in features with its basic version it's even more expensive when you go for the full Suite. Add to that that Ableton is shelving out new paid-for versions once a year compared to how seldom other software DAWs publish paid-for updates.
Timo, trust me, no-one works in DAW development for the money. Pay in this field is way, way below what an engineer can earn in something dull like SAP or financial systems - in my experience the difference can be double or more. People do it for the love of music and the product rather than financial reward.
As MW said, they have limited money at their disposal. It means you have to prioritise issues and compromise on others. You simply cannot afford to throw money and developers at a problem - we're not talking about Microsoft or Apple here.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Crash wrote:First I need to remind you about the topic of this thread:

I pointed out that Ableton Support finally and for the first time ever (as far as the search function reveals and my own experience of providing that kind of support to other users for months) publically suggests users to turn on Aero in Vista in order to workaround performance issues with Live. You keep talking to me about bug-free code, I keep talking about how bugs are handled. :idea:
The irony and sarcasm in your topic is evident despite english being a second language for you. ;)
I keep talking about your response to bugs. That is absolutely relevant to the topic, it's a response to bugs.

Machinesworking wrote:You have no idea how long, or if even a bug fix will require serious rewrite of base code for them.
As a customer, I don't have to care what internal problems keeps them from delivering results as long as they chose not to inform me. If they need this long I can expect them to tell me it's gonna take long and that they will offer me a free bug-fix once it's available. They don't have to meet my expectations, but that doesn't mean I have to expect less.
Agreed.
It is Ableton that is clearly and publically claiming that their software is Vista compatible. They know it isn't but don't tell their customers about it. Alot of people are wasting hours and days of time trying to make Live run on Vista because of Ableton's misinformations.
Honestly turing off a function of the OS causing problems in Live is an obvious low priority bug. Most people will simply turn that function back on, write Ableton with a bug report and wait for an update. I understand that you have a right to be upset that this seems to have been handled bellow par customer care wise, but realize that your attitude about it exhibited on these forums is of intolerance and attack with what seems like unjustified anger. Remember, most of us have had nothing but positive experiences with Ableton support. It's exactly the opposite of your original assumption.
To address the subject of people buying cheap computers to use for music, that's ALWAYS a risk, and it's a tough learning lesson, but if it wasn't Live it would be something else that isn't happy with Windows Basic, and a cheap computer. :(
Like I said, I'm there with you on wanting the software to work, I'm just well aware of how little money these companies actually have at their disposal

Even if software DAWs are relatively inexpensive to the real deal studio hardware then it's the company who decided to sell to big masses for relatively little money instead of asking premium for only premium users. Modern harddrives cost less than a promille of what you paid per GB only a few years back, but still I expect them save my data as reliable as possible.
It's a good analogy. Hard drives are the weakest link in a modern computer, the most likely to crash and die. DAWs are prone to bugs, and if you had used other DAWs for years before Live, you would know this.
Someone else covered the money thing, but it's not up to you when you buy software to determine the working practices of a company, You choose to keep it, or move on. I've used three DAWs as a main sequencer so far. DP, Logic, and Live. Live is in no way buggier than either of those DAWs, and none of them are half as buggy as Cubase. A crippling bug will have me change my DAW, especially if I don't feal it's being addressed properly or in a time frame I need it to be. The things aren't cheap, but they sure aren't expensive either. It's less than the price of a good guitar for an entire workstation.

Besides, these are not complex audio-software related problems we are talking about. Live uses some exotic system-calls for GUI drawing which they claim have been changed my Microsoft with Vista. No other software on my PC shows these problems (including two other DAWs and all NI plugins), so obviously no other software uses these system-calls.
and exactly how are you certain that Live's unique GUI drawing isn't due to their rather unique performance driven code? I mean here you point to Live being different than the other DAWs and plug ins, which would imply a major amount of work to re-code, yet you seem to believe that it's a simple problem. Looking at things like routing options and other well coded things in Live I would sincerely doubt that unique system calls were just out of laziness etc.
Basically you know enough about this to be getting close to the problem, but not enough to actually know their code, and what exactly the reasons are for the problem, yet you assume the simplicity of the solution.
I do understand that Ableton was taken by surprise by this move, but I do not understand that not only did they not recognize it when supposedly they should have tested Vista compatibility, but it took them 6 months to acknowledge the problem in a private email and after nearly one year they still don't inform their customers about it publically. That's really, really bad business behavior.
Agreed.
Ok, nail me down to each word, I should have written "not months and years, but weeks and months", but, you know, weeks is months, too. We are talking about a product here that has an average life-cycle of only one (1) year. Live 8 is already knocking on the doors and I still cannot use my Live 7 on Vista.
Honestly I hope they slow that down, and to a degree if your bitching and whining helps to do that then by all means! NI were total shit three years ago bug wise, it took them slowing down and not trying to sell upgrades all the time for that to happen though.
(Kore packs must sell well)
Ableton unfortunately tie their plug ins to the their upgrades, which limits their ability to function like that.

The sad truth of the matter is bugs can be hardcore. Digital Performer still will not transmit beat clock through M-Audio and various other MIDI boxes. Granted, MOTU make probably the best MIDI boxes out there, but there's nothing on the DP box that states "In order for MIDI beat clock to work reliably we suggest you use our hardware." That bug was around on OS9. THIS is why I stated that you haven't been using DAW software for very long, I really don't think there's a complex DAW out there that doesn't have at least one persistent bug that even travels to new paid upgrade versions. In Logic it was Tap Tempo, I think that one's finally fixed but it was years.

I actually remember you signing up here, and chatting with someone about how you were going to break, you were all busy trying to get your bug list addressed, while Live was still in beta, and it was obvious that you would turn out the way you did about Ableton. Not because Ableton release buggier software than the others, but because you expected them to address your particular bugs.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:35 am

Machinesworking wrote:I actually remember you signing up here,
me too.. and some..

I remember him furiously testing the 7 beta,
followed by furiously testing the 7 demo, for weeks/months?
then ordering 7 at last,
then threatening to not pick up the package at the post-office if Ableton didn't fix this and that,
then demanding a free copy for all the testing you put into it by your own choice,
and then finally picking up the box at the post-office anyway..

conclusion; after such detailed and thorough tetsting you simply knew what you bought..
don't like it? get your money back, buy another DAW and start over..
you claim that Ableton should tell its customers what Live can/can't.. true..
but you knew exactly what bugs were present when you bought it..

but more interestingly: why is it that 99,9% of the people out here can get their stuff done with Live despite of shortcomings, bugs and workarounds?
if you have goals, they can be achieved, no matter how..
I personally have many gripes about Live' shortcomings..
but I'm not going to let it distract me from the stuff I want to do..
Live is a tool.. if it comes short in certain areas, I simply extend it with other tools..

I said it before; you just want everything that surrounds you to be perfect; a chair, a backpack, a jacket, software, you..
all excuses to defocus and keep yourself busy to not have to deal with the stuff you should do; which in case of Live is to express yourself with music..
very typical behaviour, but no excuse..

so what if Live doesn't run perfectly on Vista?.. install XP and get yer stuff done.. that's what clever people do anyway..
you could waste a good year on moaning and bitching about it.. and then what if it finally runs 'pefect'?
then there's a faulty MIDI driver, a buggy VST, a flimsy plastic controller, etc etc..
nothing is perfect, but you have to make it all work for yourself..

get yer creative juices flowing and stop bothering about imbalanced technology..
waste of time.. really..
unless that is yer hobby; then forget all I said..

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:34 am

crumhorn wrote:
Crash wrote:Live 8 is already knocking on the doors and I still cannot use my Live 7 on Vista.
Just curious, but why do you say you "cannot" use Live 7 on Vista.

I had problems with Live 6, even with Aero theme enabled and all DPC blocking drivers disabled - So I'm currently testing with the 14 day tiail version of Live 7.

It seems perfectly reliable, even with the wireless network enabled. But I'd appreciate your input before I spend my euros on the upgrade.
sorry for the self quote - but I don't want this to get lost in the noise. I think you know something that might be important to me.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

dom

Post by dom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:29 am

Timur's own Vista poll:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... vista+poll

Always good for a laugh.

Regarding all the technical bs he is posting in this thread again, e.g. "Live uses some exotic system-calls for GUI drawing" - sorry, he knows nothing but seems to love hearing his own whining. What is a "exotic system call". Which one does he mean having never seen the code? The gfx routines are pretty standard - but changed in Vista, that's true. And i was the one who told him that in one of our countless support emails.
But there's a difference between a bug and simply a difference in performance on different OSes.

As i don't discuss his false statements anymore, back to the usual Timur disclaimer:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... dge#780971

We're really happy to help every Live user, we try to kill as many bugs as possible and try to come up with the best product for producing on a computer - not only because it is our job but we care for the product personally.
If there's one single guy constantly complaining using simply wrong technical information on the one side and a few hundred thousands happily jamming away on the other side i'm happy to adopt him as our forum mascot, showing that we don't censor people that are crucial about our work.

I guess we all benefit if ableton spends more time on the really important bugs that get reported by a lot of people instead of wasting time taking care of one single person that constantly tries to bring a bad vibe to this forum, trying to do a kind of social DoS attack against the ableton support and development.

Keep doing what makes you happy, for the love of the forum i hope its music and not whining,
Dom
Last edited by dom on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:13 pm

dom wrote:
I guess we all benefit if ableton spends more time on the really important bugs that get reported by a lot of people instead of wasting time taking care of one single person that constantly tries to bring a bad vibe to this forum, trying to do a kind of social DoS attack against the ableton support and development.

Dom
Well said, Dom. Social DoS attack is exactly the right word. If one wants that people do a good job, then constantly telling people that they are incompetent, stupid, and what so ever is exactly the wrong thing to do. It is highly demotivating, and if our developers, who are on a regular basis reading this forum are confronted with it, their motivation to work overtime if needed, their focus on the code, their commitment to the user base and their general quality of life (!!!!!) is highly affected. By an asshole who hides behind aliases, who constantly attacks this community and the company and ignores any request for a different communication style.

This behavior is absolutely not tolerable. It is inhuman, antisocial, arrogant and rude beyond words.

Robert

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:39 pm

timur admit it. Your problem isnt the bugs youve found, its that the forum isnt digitally sucking your dick for your perceived super genius. Your one of the socially inept people with a talent for software programming that doesnt understand why everyone doesnt bow down to you and throw rose pedals at your feet. Your not special, actually your quite a cliche and quite a douche bag.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:51 pm

I am very much looking forward to the release of Timur's own DAW

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:51 pm

crumhorn wrote:Just curious, but why do you say you "cannot" use Live 7 on Vista.
Because Support don't seem to take the problem and their customers serious enough.
DOM wrote:But there's a difference between a bug and simply a difference in performance on different OSes.
The following screenshots show CPU load (in red) when playing a single (1) audio-clip on a single track!

Version 7.0.10 (and ealier) on Vista "Classic" (Aero off):

Version 7.0.10 (and ealier) on Vista "Glass" (Aero on):

Conclusion: Yes, a bicycle is technically "compatible" to an Autobahn, it wont crash if you drive it there. No, a bicycle is not "useable" in practice on an Autobahn, you wont reach the minimum speed allowance of 60 km/h and the first truck coming from behind will run you flat into the ground! :twisted:
DOM wrote:And i was the one who told him that in one of our countless support emails.
Yes, after about half a year of asking support for any response on the issue I finally got an email acknowledging that there is a problem. In that Email Ableton blamed Microsoft as being responsible by changing some routines from XP to Vista.

Now, nearly one year after my first reports and dozends of users shying away from Vista because of Ableton inability to communicate the issues they finally published a forum post that for the first time told a user to turn on Aero to possibly workaround the issues.
What is a "exotic system call". Which one does he mean having never seen the code? The gfx routines are pretty standard - but changed in Vista, that's true.
The "exotic system calls" statement was the benevolent interpretation of your claiming that the problems lies in changes of Vista's routines and could not be fixed easily coupled with the fact that dozends of other applications on my system (including two other DAWs) are not affected.

The other possible (and less benevolent) interpretation is that the routines are in fact standard, but Ableton simply introduced some bugs that they were neither able to identify nor willing to fix for several months while still claiming Vista compatibility of Live.

Lo and behold, it seems that the second interpretation turns out to be true, Beta 12 fixes the Vista "Classic" GUI issues!

Version 7.0.12 Beta 4 on Vista "Classic" (Aero off):

Does the pathetic excuse of a changelist mention that fix anywhere? No! Maybe Ableton didn't know themselves that they fixed it?! At least I am tempted to believe that. :oops:
Last edited by Crash on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:03 pm

To underline again why turning on Aero is not a real viable "workaround" solution to the problem:

Aero uses the same highest priority as Live's Audio and Midi driver threads. That means the GUIs of all applications and Windows gets the same priority as your Audio/Midi streams. That least to irregular dropouts (depending on load) and generally lower performance because of priority conflicts.

There are two solutions to this problem: 1. Use Live on "Realtime" priority (rather dangerous in case that Live ever hangs). 2. Ableton needs to incorporate Vista's Multimedia Priorisation (MMCSS) into Live, which should be part of every DAW running on Vista anyway. Ableton already proved that they are capable to handling this by meddling with the RME drivers' MMCSS implementation.

Whatever, since .12 Beta 4 seems to fix the Vista "Classic" issues we can finally start to use Live without Aero until MMCSS is implemented.