Quitting my inofficial job as Ableton's Vista support guy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:59 pm

Crash wrote:To underline again why turning on Aero is not a real viable "workaround" solution to the problem:

Aero uses the same highest priority as Live's Audio and Midi driver threads. That means the GUIs of all applications and Windows gets the same priority as your Audio/Midi streams. That least to irregular dropouts (depending on load) and generally lower performance because of priority conflicts.

There are two solutions to this problem: 1. Use Live on "Realtime" priority (rather dangerous in case that Live ever hangs). 2. Ableton needs to incorporate Vista's Multimedia Priorisation (MMCSS) into Live, which should be part of every DAW running on Vista anyway. Ableton already proved that they are capable to handling this by meddling with the RME drivers' MMCSS implementation.

Whatever, since .12 Beta 4 seems to fix the Vista "Classic" issues we can finally start to use Live without Aero until MMCSS is implemented.
Good info right there.

Thanks again.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

dom

Post by dom » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Crash wrote: Blah
Yawn...

Everyone is invited to test it on their own machines.
I just did, with 7.0.10 (outdated, btw. ;-)) and got exactly the same cpu percentage.
Of course this is a good result, depending on your gfx card etc. it may be different, but i like to remember:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... vista+poll

I don't know why i did test it at all again, as he just stated that his problem is "magically" fixed by beta12.
So, my dear community fellows, why is he still running around the forum whining and trying to upset all instead of getting creative?
Sorry, I just don't know, maybe he gets paid by the competition :)
Crash wrote: Because Support don't seem to take the problem and their customers serious enough.
Hm, what's this? Projecting his own character on others? Libel and slander?
That's bad style. Don't believe a word, I personally do guarantee there's only one single customer we really start to have problems in taking him serious. Seriously!
If there's another Live user having the slightest feeling we don't take him serious: Don't hesitate to drop me a mail!

Ok, i'm out of this thread. Actually this does not mean the entertainment stops here, i guess Crashtimur will continue with his whining and having the last word and calling me names, so:

Happy Fun Fun Friday with our new forum mascot,
dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:27 pm

There are unfortunately people with a severe debilitating mental disability that causes them to believe they need to be experts in something before they can actually use it. You don't need to be an optician before you buy a pair of glasses, you don't need to be a designer before you buy a suit, you don't need to be a chef before you buy a set of knives, you don't need a masters degree in finance before you open a 401(k), and you don't need to be lead programmer at Ableton to use their fucking software.
Crash wrote:Because Support don't seem to take the problem and their customers serious enough.
By this you mean yourself, don't lump me or anybody else into your crazy ass rants.

Crash

Post by Crash » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:27 pm

dom wrote:Ok, i'm out of this thread. Actually this does not mean the entertainment stops here, i guess Crashtimur will continue with his whining and having the last word and calling me names, so:
I am not calling you names and I am not whining. It is my oppinion that Ableton Support either lack qualification or motivation in some areas and that your attitude towards parts of your customers if questionable. I am sharing my oppinion with other users of your software. It is neither my fault nor intention to have you participate in this discussion.

Any discussion that you participated in in the past turned into a discreditation of my reports. This one is no difference:
Everyone is invited to test it on their own machines.
I just did, with 7.0.10 (outdated, btw. ;-)) and got exactly the same cpu percentage.
Of course this is a good result, depending on your gfx card etc. it may be different
1. The bold part is not funny! :? 7.0.10 is a crashfest for me and my bandmate and you know about it for months, we are still forced to use .9 or one of your stupidly (!) time-limited betas. You are making fun of your customers, not only me, but everyone else having troubles with this.

2. As you already know this happens not only to me but to several other users of this forum who have reported about it and acknowledged it (Forge did so last January). You acknowledged it in an Email ealier, how can it be that you cannot reproduce it now?

Or do you really mean by "this is a good result" that you got the same 50%+ percentage result and find this "good"?

3. As you already know I can reproduce this within minutes on completely difference hardware platforms, running different graphic-cards, CPU and chipsets.

4. Your inability to reproduce a bug that is so unbelievebly easy to reproduce underlines why I find your qualification lacking.
I don't know why i did test it at all again, as he just stated that his problem is "magically" fixed by beta12.
5. Again the bold part is not funny! :? Lots of people were having trouble getting Live to run properly on Vista, many of these have opted to downgrade to XP because of that. You are making fun of your customers, not only me, but everyone else having troubles with this.

6. Maybe this has been the real fix? "7.0.12b1: Some memory leaks could appear under Vista when resizing windows."

7a. Your own inability to reproduce the bug, plus your sarcastic definition of a "magical" fix implies that the bug was made up by me and every other forum member reporting the same issues. You are making fun of your customers, not only me, but everyone else having troubles with this.

7b. Your own inability to reproduce the bug, plus your lacking knowledge of how the bug was actually "fixed" implies that my oppinion about your lacking technical qualification stands on quite solid ground.
DOM wrote:social DoS attack against the ableton support and development
8. The phrase "social DoS attack" is a pure stroke of genius. I really mean it and love it, even when it's used as a retorical weapon against me. <applause> on that one!

9. DoS = Denial of Service = Exactly what annoys me. Thanks for the superb definition.

10. There are still a whole couple of issues you were not able to reproduce in the past and thus have not been adressed by your development team. I fear that this is more a result of either disinclination or inability than that these issues are not real.

Have a fun, fun friday!
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:16 pm

yawn