Keystation Pro 88

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
studio63

Keystation Pro 88

Post by studio63 » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:28 pm

I just purchased a Keystation Pro 88 and using it to produce samples and trigger clips in session view. My question is, would i best store the midi program changes in Keystation or use Live?
I makes more sense to program and assign keys based from Live to Keystation than the other way around.

Don't think i'm going to use the Enigma software either!

Any suggestions are welcome.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:03 am

I suggest you do *one* big setup on the keystation, and then program your live songs to work with it. It's a lot faster, and it automatically loads with your new songs.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

draff

More info please?

Post by draff » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:24 pm

Can you guys elaborate on this a little more for me? I just purchased the KPro88 as well, and I'm not sure I'm following you here.

It sounds like you're describing a method other than entering midi map mode in Live and mapping the KPro88 to trigger certain functions. It sounds more like you're programming the keyboard itself, and I'm not quite sure how you're doing this and how it is then applied. Any addt'l info on that would be great.

studio63

Post by studio63 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:47 pm

What do you mean with "one" big setup?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:58 pm

studio63 wrote:What do you mean with "one" big setup?
that instead of doing a new setup in the keystation for every new live song, you should make ONE set of cc# assignments for the keystation, and then just change the live setup dynamically.

So I'm agreeing with you...

gsbe

Keystation Pro 88 + Live

Post by gsbe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:32 am

Use the Enigma program on your computer to create a preset for the KSP88 and then send the presets to the keyboard with the program. This preset that you create should assign an individual cc# to each fader, knob, and button. Use this preset everytime you use Ableton and you'll never have to fool with different presets. Each time you start up everything that you assigned will show up correctly on your KSP88.

You can setup zones with keyranges and different midi channel outputs to utilize different instruments. Example:
- zone 1 would have a key range of c0-C2 transposed up an octave on midi channel 1 for a bass VSTi
- zones 2-4 could all have a key range of c#2-C7 on their respective midi channels 2-4 for piano, rhodes and analog synth VSTi's

In this example, you hit the corresponding zone buttons on the keyboard to quickly switch between sounds. I have found this and setting sections of songs to buttons very helpful in my live performances with Live. What a great program.

studio63

Post by studio63 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:29 pm

Thanks gsbe for the helpfull suggestion. I have trouble in program enigma, would you be able to send me a copy of the Enigma preset?

Thanks a bunch.

gsbe

Keystation Pro 88 presets

Post by gsbe » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:06 pm

studio63 wrote:Thanks gsbe for the helpfull suggestion. I have trouble in program enigma, would you be able to send me a copy of the Enigma preset?
You really should get to know the program, studio63. I agree that programming the KSP88 is complicated. The Enigma program helps quite a bit but it is still confusing. Its worth the effort, I'll assure you.

I have made my quick-and-easy KSP88 presets available here. I believe the example I gave in the post above is the first preset called Ableton Live. Load them into Enigma and modify to suit your needs.

studio63

Post by studio63 » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:15 pm

That's awesome gsbe. Thanks so much. :D

studio63

Post by studio63 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:46 am

I have a general issue with uploading the file to my pro 88 from Enigma. Get the error message:
"Cannot send keystation pro88 user bank to the device because it is the wrong type of bank".
Do you know what that means?

gsbe

Keystation Pro 88 downfalls

Post by gsbe » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:00 am

studio63 wrote:I have a general issue with uploading the file to my pro 88 from Enigma. Get the error message:
"Cannot send keystation pro88 user bank to the device because it is the wrong type of bank".
Do you know what that means?
Everytime I get that error it means that the computer can't communicate with the KSP88. This sucks. I hate this. This is the most annoying thing about this cool keyboard. Grrr. Restart or a lucky hot-plug are the only solutions. I've contacted M-Audio support a number of times about this and they say I have an IRQ conflict on both my computers. Both? Not likely, I say. Also, my Edirol PCR-50 works like a champ. You can easyily hot-plug it in and out and both machines immediate recognize it.

I love this keyboard for all its knobs, buttons and sliders - not for its keboard action, sensitivity or ease of use. I wish my Roland RD-600 had 24 knobs, 9 sliders and a gajillian buttons because it plays 1 million times better than the KSP88.

Sorry...I'm over it now. The KSP88 was really cheap!