The formula: Justice, Oizo, Daftpunk, Sebastian.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:38 pm

lola wrote:
jamief wrote:i worked briefly with daft punk when they signed to soma. We worked on some tracks together in my garage studio in Glasgow sometime in 93 i think.
They are two guys who produced there own music. They werent super confident at least Guy wasnt and were quite humble. I think Thomas was more sure of his destiny and had belief.We tinkered about with cubase on the atari the 909 and 303 and moogs and stuff.
Anyway Thomas's dad was a super disco producer and very successfull producing worldwide disco hits that are still popular today ( do web search ) The dad was obviously in the know when it came to song structure and that magic ingrediiant mastering and compression ( listen to the dads mixes on youtube). i also believe that their father ( although i didnt get that from daft punk themselves) helped or advised when it came to contracts, contacts and how best to navigate a course through the music biz etc etc.Well you would if it was your sons band wouldnt you Their early soma stuff im guessing didnt have soo much infleunce from their dad apart from perhaps alive which had aneat compression going on.
Two nice guys with great talent. I havent seen them since 2001. It is quite amazing to see what has happend with their carreer,s after working with them all those years ago.

And i agree it's always good to hear how things developed behind the scene confidence knowledge and technique are two thirds of the recipe of finding your way
Yea i can hear the link somewhat with the gibson brothers sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8MPryRqXPM

Cool man that you have worked with them, did you have you any links with soma?
keep lookin man ! :D do yar thing !

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:42 pm

jamief wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Cue Krazy Baldhead :lol:

What a strange conversation. Like detroit techno got famous thru one guy....
It was one movement. Same thing in Paris, Berlin,...
Detroit got famous esentially in the begining from 3 guys and then it grew
Its always good to study your influences :)
The belleville trio.. Still qualifies as a movement in my book. Coming from the wareHouse parties. Another movement.
And it wasn't like people like DJ Pierre didn't make any differences. Or the underground resistance.
Sure, you can trace Techno back to 3 guys. And from there on you can trace it back to Kraftwerk and on to Stockhausen.

The point being, Geography counts!

lola

Post by lola » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:54 pm

DGA wrote:What a shocker, artists from the same area and label having a similar sound?

Same compression? As if compression is some sort of secret these days... Anyone think more than one producer in the big apple might have used "ny style" compression back in the day?

I'm not a fan of their music, but this conspiracy goes too far for me. There is a commonality amongst them of Pedro Winter's management. Perhaps he is the one making everyone's music, but even if he is, it is not very newsworthy.

bfd
It was not meant to be as news, it just intrigues me, i am just curious.
Because i hear links..even with air, and sebastian tellier.
And what knowledge has the dad of one of the daftpunks passed on.

I listened to their productions for 2 days, and i really think that this is the best music since ages IMO(and i listen to a lot of stuff), i was very dissapointed in nowadays music, but this...damn...i became a fan, but one who loves the music and the stories behind it.

lola

Post by lola » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:03 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
jamief wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:Cue Krazy Baldhead :lol:

What a strange conversation. Like detroit techno got famous thru one guy....
It was one movement. Same thing in Paris, Berlin,...
Detroit got famous esentially in the begining from 3 guys and then it grew
The belleville trio.. Still qualifies as a movement in my book. Coming from the wareHouse parties. Another movement.
And it wasn't like people like DJ Pierre didn't make any differences. Or the underground resistance.
Sure, you can trace Techno back to 3 guys. And from there on you can trace it back to Kraftwerk and on to Stockhausen.

dj pierre made one of the first chicago acid house records, derrick may went to one of those jackin parties and got inspired, and took it to detroit, but it are 2 different things imo.
UR is another detroit imprint and took it even further and harder...but can't compare the 2 even. May, saunderson, atkins are more funky and more mellow, while Ur is more dark and more industial mechanical and have far more radical ideas behind their music.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:34 pm

lola wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
jamief wrote: Detroit got famous esentially in the begining from 3 guys and then it grew

dj pierre made one of the first chicago acid house records, derrick may went to one of those jackin parties and got inspired, and took it to detroit, but it are 2 different things imo.
UR is another detroit imprint and took it even further and harder...but can't compare the 2 even. May, saunderson, atkins are more funky and more mellow, while Ur is more dark and more industial mechanical and have far more radical ideas behind their music.
Chicago House, Detroit Techno, Berlin Minimal, French House and so on..
They're indeed all different things but they all got one thing in common. Its localized.
One guy doesn't create a scene on his own.

lola

Post by lola » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:44 pm

hoffman2k wrote:
lola wrote:
hoffman2k wrote: The belleville trio.. Still qualifies as a movement in my book. Coming from the wareHouse parties. Another movement.

They're indeed all different things but they all got one thing in common. Its localized.
One guy can start a scene of it's own, but that is another thing :)

But with the whole paris scene, i am stil curious of how things are running there

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 pm

lola wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
lola wrote: dj pierre made one of the first chicago acid house records, derrick may went to one of those jackin parties and got inspired, and took it to detroit, but it are 2 different things imo.
One guy can start a scene of it's own, but that is another thing :)

But with the whole paris scene, i am stil curious of how things are running there
Its a bunch of guys getting together and sharing tips. Nothing sinister going on.
Some of the Ed Banger crew are even forum members here.
And they're almost (if not) all Live users.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 pm

Hoffman is correct - a lot of phenomenon are geographic in nature.

It is easier to share ideas, network, collaborate, etc

Chicago House
Swedish Techno
Miami Breaks
New York House

New York Hip Hop
Southern Rap
West Coast East Coast

Notice as well where these sounds are coming from are not small towns or cities. They are major cities - a couple even being world cities. There is just a lot of people and ideas concentrated in areas already in the spot light. So while a couple techno producer from Tacoma Washington can be just blowing up, you'll never hear about the Tacoma sound. Say if they move to Los Angeles and continue to make hits, they'll somehow or another become a part of or contribute to the LA sound. Tacoma does have a thriving art scene, but they are not known for music.

I like all those French producers but Daft Punk will always be the originator, and the best, easily!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:55 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Hoffman is correct - a lot of phenomenon are geographic in nature.

It is easier to share ideas, network, collaborate, etc

Chicago House
Swedish Techno
Miami Breaks
New York House

New York Hip Hop
Southern Rap
West Coast East Coast

Notice as well where these sounds are coming from are not small towns or cities. They are major cities - a couple even being world cities. There is just a lot of people and ideas concentrated in areas already in the spot light. So while a couple techno producer from Tacoma Washington can be just blowing up, you'll never hear about the Tacoma sound. Say if they move to Los Angeles and continue to make hits, they'll somehow or another become a part of or contribute to the LA sound. Tacoma does have a thriving art scene, but they are not known for music.

I like all those French producers but Daft Punk will always be the originator, and the best, easily!
Exactly. I met more musicians in 5 months of living in Copenhagen than I met during the rest of my entire life. I even spent weeks in a studio where Trentemoller and Michael Simpson do their magic. Thougn I've never met the dudes because they were on tour and lent the studio to a friend.
A big city is essentially a small world. Need a rare vintage synth? I know a guy who knows a guy, let me get you guys in touch... Its a matter of minutes in a big city.
Lots of workshops, local events, social hangouts and so on.
Just look at all the fun they're having in NY with the whole CDM crew and geeks alike.

Beatport

Post by Beatport » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:20 pm

I heard that the CEOs of General Motors and Ford are putting out all those albums - ghostwriting and producing to try and make up for this decade's losses. Why do you think the detroit techno was so hot back in the day?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:30 pm

its never one guy behind a musical style... but its often one track that matters.
which has its own influences but creates a new blueprint...i think theese ragas of the tabla players can be seen as a similar thing.

I dont know the daft punk guys..but in theire work i allays felt a writers touch...
Which is on standard lines quite an achivement..
They are defenetly not a fake act...vitamin b helps of cause..but it helps even shit music any day
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:00 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Hoffman is correct - a lot of phenomenon are geographic in nature.

So while a couple techno producer from Tacoma Washington can be just blowing up, you'll never hear about the Tacoma sound. Say if they move to Los Angeles and continue to make hits, they'll somehow or another become a part of or contribute to the LA sound. Tacoma does have a thriving art scene, but they are not known for music.
Which is why in a sad sense if we were to get anywhere in the music business we would be playing in Indy Rock bands, it's what Seattle is known for these days. :?

riotschool

Post by riotschool » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 am

I know some of the guys personally and can say that there is no secret godfather in the background. Maybe it´s Busy-P (Pedro Winter) who is doing a great marketing job for the label and having brilliant business contacts.

The Mysterious Flying Pum

Post by The Mysterious Flying Pum » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:11 am

i am sure there is a big conspiracy...
13" MacBook - 1Gb RAM/OSX10.4 - Live 6

mosca

Post by mosca » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:31 am

Sorry, are you saying Soma had links to Virgin?