DJ's that use Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Anthony Scott

DJ's that use Live?

Post by Anthony Scott » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:19 pm

Please name the DJ's you know of that use Live.

I know of....

Sasha
Gabriel & Dresden

Just curious....

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:28 pm

Surgeon
Hawtin

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:43 pm

ME!

(now if thats not a reason to switch i dont know what is!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

drush

Post by drush » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:58 pm

ruskin
regis
many others i'm sure

the line between djing, even digitally, and 'live pa' has gotten really blurry. personally i hope we just stop talking in those terms soon. the BMB shows are neither or both depending on how you look at it. they play other artist's material, they play their own. as does karl when he's alone; he'll do regis live pa and he'll do regis 'digital edit set'. further confused (or made ironic) by the fact that in his case, he was never a traditional dj. he just became someone who plays more than his own material b/c of the possibilities offered by ableton.

i wasn't very surprised when surgeon went all-ableton as he was one of the few people who (imo) really ever made the most of what i consider the best thing offered by final scratch: custom edits. the ability to play your own take on almost anything. he's been doing it for years with his own material via acetate. fs offered him an instantly easier way to do that... then ableton took the ceiling off the whole idea. and it's not like anyone is going to accuse him of not being able to dj "for real". he was one of the best techno djs in the world... now he's still that and able to go way deeper.

on the flip side, i really dig how hawtin has integrated ableton. different take, different strokes. and his sets in the last year or so are some of his best ever. he's gone back and moved forward at the same time. (cuz maybe it should be noted that he doesn't usually play ~tracks with Live; he uses it as an efx processor and random loop thingy.)

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:23 pm

me, but i don't dj with it. if i'm doing only a live set i use live 4, a drum machine and/or sampler, and a mixer.

if i'm only djing - i use final scratch.

but the best is the DJ + Live, then its FS and Live 4 - simultaneously on one computer. that configuration is my favorite "captain's seat" so far.
and (plug time) i'll be doing that in Den Haag, NL @ Paardvantroje Dec 18th.

sqook

Post by sqook » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:38 pm

AdamJay wrote: but the best is the DJ + Live, then its FS and Live 4 - simultaneously on one computer. that configuration is my favorite "captain's seat" so far.
Wish I could be there to see that set... that's one helluva setup there. =)

Anthony Scott

Post by Anthony Scott » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:43 pm

AdamJay wrote: if i'm only djing - i use final scratch.

but the best is the DJ + Live, then its FS and Live 4 - simultaneously on one computer. that configuration is my favorite "captain's seat" so far.
I use Rane Scratch and Live to DJ with and I'll have to say it is one bad ass set up. I love technology!!! :)

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:08 pm

How dare you guys not mention Chris Cowie. Shame on you! :lol:
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

bod

Post by bod » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:14 am

Anthony Scott wrote:
AdamJay wrote: if i'm only djing - i use final scratch.

I use Rane Scratch and Live to DJ with and I'll have to say it is one bad ass set up. I love technology!!! :)
how do you find the rane set up? on paper it looks like it piss's all over final scratch.

Padraig

Post by Padraig » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:39 am

IBM T40 ThinkPad: 1.5Gz Pentium M, 1Gb RAM. Hitachi External Hard Drive: 120 GB, USB 2.0, 7200 RPM. M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. Ableton Live 3.

drush

Post by drush » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:14 pm

Scion - Arrange And Process Basic Channel Tracks

http://www.discogs.com/release/43996

epilacs

Post by epilacs » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:21 am

plus one one the scion disc...

i also believe that algorithm did the force-inc rmx album
with live...

A DJ

Post by A DJ » Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:27 am

AdamJay wrote:
i'll be doing that in Den Haag, NL @ Paardvantroje Dec 18th.

gonna check that 1 out Adam

seeya there

atomic

Post by atomic » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:50 am

i curently own final scratch 1.5.4 and live 4 and have not tried that as of yet. that sounds very intresting though. I am waiting on the edge of my seat for final scratch 2.0 as that new scratch amp works with ASIO drivers so can be used with other software eg. DJ Studio. So I am waiting on buying a sound card because I plan on using the new scratch amp :) now that ougut to be SICK. I have had terrable trouble with Final Scratch 1.5.4 and hope like hell that they at NI and Stanton have got there sh*t worked out, but only time will tell. How do you use final scratch and ableton at the same time now? scratch am for final scratch and a second sound card for Live? Very nice thinking.

Hmmmmm thinking ......

AdamJay wrote:me, but i don't dj with it. if i'm doing only a live set i use live 4, a drum machine and/or sampler, and a mixer.

if i'm only djing - i use final scratch.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:59 am

yea its pretty simple, you cant use the 1.x scratch amp as a soundcard so use any soundcard for live. just make sure you have enough cpu and ram to do the multitask. 512MB is enough for me. FS rarely takes more than 20% of my AMD 64 3000 cpu, so for me it works.

if my laptop had a 6pin firewire port, i'd get FS 2.0 as i really prefer bus-powered operation (have blown too much equipment using shaky voltage converters overseas), and i've always managed to tweak FS enough to get it working quite reliably on whatever system i've used. so for me, and this is rare, i haven't a reason to upgrade. the 24/96 is great but 9 times out of 10 i'm DJing through a Pioneer mixer (not my choice) so there goes that hi fidelitious difference.,