Akai MPCs, why so legendary ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:17 am

aqua_tek wrote:WGAF. Some people dig 'em, some don't. Can't deny the MPC line has been a staple throughout the past few decades.

I used to not care for them much but... I've been playing with my roommate's MPC 5000 the past couple days and it's fun like a motherfucker. I'm hooked now. Won a bid for a 2500 on ebay at $790.00 (STEAL!) and I'm excited to have it arrive soon. :P
tek man you gotta check out the jj os for the 25 hund, it's a beast

Crash

Post by Crash » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:06 am

Latency is not that much of an issue if you are only using Live as an MPC replacement aka do only the things in Live that you would do with the MPC.

But useability aka Switch On Start Banging is still the best part of any piece of hardware. That and the fact that hardware usually is specialiced in what it does and thus offers a specialiced interface as well.
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

navitus

Post by navitus » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:18 am

Yo Starving Boy!!! when u say u use LIve as a module and the MPC as a sequencer, do u then import the MPC midi patterns into Live or do u trigger with the MPC.
That again is a cool solution, MPC sequencer, FX and samples from Live.
The one thing which i love about the Korg electribes is how u never have to stop the music, u can record patterns while patterns play.
Can an MPC do this or do u have to stop playback everytime u need to record a sequence.

I love successful threads.
F

grok

Post by grok » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Maybe a little OT
I bought a MPD 32, and hooked it up with Live. Talking about a dreamteam. I only have for a mnth now and it changed my workflow big way. My musix and performing has become so much better ( I hope :oops: )
P4 Desktop-Echo Gina-Laptop P4-Motu Ultra Lite-AkaiMFC-Sherman-TeeBee 383-Reaktor-Live 7-Alesis Mk2-Novation Remote-Phat Boy-DBX comp-Korg KaossPad 3-Kaossilator-Akai MPD32

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm one of the people that gets shit latency and I don't want to have to monitor the amount of tracks and plug-ins used in Live to maintain that already shitty latency. There are solutions like buying a better audio interface but the more you spend on that the less you are going to want to take that to a gig where latency becomes an important issue. Maybe it's not that big of a problem if it's just my neighbors thinking I have the worst timing ever.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:44 pm

navitus wrote:do u then import the MPC midi patterns into Live or do u trigger with the MPC. That again is a cool solution, MPC sequencer, FX and samples from Live.
surely he uses the MPC sequencer to trigger Live VSTs. you can use both sequencers at the same time.

The one thing which i love about the Korg electribes is how u never have to stop the music, u can record patterns while patterns play.
Can an MPC do this or do u have to stop playback everytime u need to record a sequence.
no need to stop with the MPC.

re latency: I'll start a set at 192kHz if I want to play real time, but I have to keep the .als pretty small, 8 tracks and pretty basic plug ins on those tracks. anything more than that I drop to 48kHz to lower the CPU. any latency over 10mS annoys the fuck out of me, it's unusable. record quantize helps but I hate using that.

YMMV.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
navitus wrote:do u then import the MPC midi patterns into Live or do u trigger with the MPC. That again is a cool solution, MPC sequencer, FX and samples from Live.
surely he uses the MPC sequencer to trigger Live VSTs. you can use both sequencers at the same time.

no need to stop with the MPC.

what he said ^

Credo

Post by Credo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:38 pm

grok wrote:Maybe a little OT
I bought a MPD 32, and hooked it up with Live. Talking about a dreamteam. I only have for a mnth now and it changed my workflow big way. My musix and performing has become so much better ( I hope :oops: )
Nice to hear! My MPD32 arrived today (man how long a week can be!)
How do you use this setup? Do you have a standard setup or different in each set?
Are you using lots of drum racks or mapping pads to clips?
Any tips n trix to share?
>>
MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz, 3 Gb Ram, OS X 10.6.8
Novation Ultranova, Launchpad, Nocturn
MOTU Ultralite
Elektron Machinedrum + Monomachine
Future Retro XS
OTO Biscuit

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:54 pm

for sure sequencing live plugins and drumracks with the mpc is a very satisfying combination, it basicly makes you feel like you're working on an mpc but with lives added functionality and fx possiblities.

the mpc also has usb ports which are great for transfering files back and forth between the mpc and your macbook, the whole setup just screams wokflow

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Roger Linn Compression Algorithm and if you know which series MPCs used this then you are in the know about why MPCs are sought after. If you are not in the know about this then you should stick to software.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:15 pm

Moody wrote:Roger Linn Compression Algorithm and if you know which series MPCs used this then you are in the know about why MPCs are sought after. If you are not in the know about this then you should stick to software.
haha moody you are.......moody, and wise

lola

Post by lola » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:16 pm

Moody wrote:Roger Linn Compression Algorithm and if you know which series MPCs used this then you are in the know about why MPCs are sought after. If you are not in the know about this then you should stick to software.
Thought it had lowpass filters on its outs like the sp1200 has?

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:26 pm

blinkeye wrote:There's a lot of misinformed opinion about the special swing or the "sound" of the MPC. What makes the MPC special is ultimately the simple yet powerful sequencer and the quick workflow it brings. Sure, you can do the same and more on a computer and a midi controller. But setting up your software and midi controller, figuring out the way you want to work, mapping the controls...etc. is enough of a deterrent for many people to impede their creative process. That may sound ridiculous for a lot of folks on this forum especially those who thrive on the challenge to design their own workflow environment but some people just do not want to have to worry about any of that before they can start making music.
i agree mpc = simple user interface between mind and music. It helps you make music so much more easily and in a relatively distinct and unique fashion dependant on how you use it. i missed mine when it went so bought an mk49 which has one of the main features that made it special for me. Still not quite the same though it has to be said - been eyeing up one - but i dont need it really and it will be jst a another thing i have to assimilate into my process- i dont need that - i need simplicity man and machine fluidity - ironic really becasue thats what the mpc does :D

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:27 pm

lola wrote:
Thought it had lowpass filters on its outs like the sp1200 has?
i had the Emu drumulator :D great machine
Nice seqeuncer on it as well

http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/drumulator.shtml

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:29 pm

had one of these guys as well
Oberheim • DSX

really nice machine
no midi but great sequncer
http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/dsx.shtml