i heart schoeps

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hidden Driveways

i heart schoeps

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Long story short. I saved money for years and years to buy an apartment. I have decided not to. I'm buying gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's time to get a pair of pencil microphones. I have always loved the KM184, but I'm really looking at Schoeps as an alternative. Check out this link. Click on the "behind the scenes" videos, namely the video of C. Langen. How am I supposed to buy a sell-out pair of Neumanns when this company is still independant and so admirable?

http://schoeps.de/showroom/

i heart schoeps!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Just seen your sig! :lol:

i always thought you were sales dude's boss!

Cool place to work I thought, boss and sales dude underling post together in the same forum. :lol:

yeah, nice mics.

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:28 pm

And his name is Helmut; sick!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:42 pm

Wow. The videos of U Schoeps and J. Wuttke say it all. I'm such a sucker for this kind of stuff!

Huh. How did you connect Hidden Driveways and McBoob without reading the sig? That's kind of freaky!

timbreland

Post by timbreland » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:58 pm

i was just listening to a shootout--schoeps vs DPA vs oktava here it is:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho ... hoeps.html

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Wow. The videos of U Schoeps and J. Wuttke say it all. I'm such a sucker for this kind of stuff!

Huh. How did you connect Hidden Driveways and McBoob without reading the sig? That's kind of freaky!
I think Sales dude posted about testing some kit one day, then Hidden D came back in the same thread with reference to the same thing so i kind of put two and two together to make five...

**internet stalker mode off**

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:14 pm

timbreland wrote:i was just listening to a shootout--schoeps vs DPA vs oktava here it is:

My computer here at work isn't letting me open the MP3s. Thanks for the link though. I've heard all of those mics except the DPA. I already know that I like the KM184 the best. I'm leaning toward the Schoeps because I like the morals of the company, and I want to do field recording as well as studio work. In film and video, it makes more sense to use Schoeps Collettes and the CMIT shotgun.

KM184's make drum cymbals shimmer like heaven. It's a tough choice!

Ahhh, ok Russ. I've been doing that a lot. Sorry for the confusion.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:18 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
timbreland wrote:i was just listening to a shootout--schoeps vs DPA vs oktava here it is:

My computer here at work isn't letting me open the MP3s. Thanks for the link though. I've heard all of those mics except the DPA. I already know that I like the KM184 the best. I'm leaning toward the Schoeps because I like the morals of the company, and I want to do field recording as well as studio work. In film and video, it makes more sense to use Schoeps Collettes and the CMIT shotgun.

KM184's make drum cymbals shimmer like heaven. It's a tough choice!

Ahhh, ok Russ. I've been doing that a lot. Sorry for the confusion.
i'd go with a KM184.

Schoeps are manufactured very fancy and yes they sound good, but the KM series is kick ass.
and Schoeps is generally known and used strongly in the conference area not that much for music, (sleek designs, integrated mic stands and the like, fancy points for conferences with lots of suits) same goes for DPA stuff, very good, but there real strong point is lavalliers (the 4061 / 4066 and 4088 are superb) and not really being a KM replacement.

also schoeps is a nightmare to work with in live environments, they are super feedback friendly and an engineers nightmare regarding that point.

just my experience.

p.s.
we hold about 50-60 different mic types in the company we permanently work with. so i talk out of my personal experience using them.
from the KM series we alone have from the 120 up to the 184 all of them.
*** Image GAFM ***

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 pm

SubFunk wrote: i talk out of my personal experience using them.
Here's the thing. I need pencil mics for two things. I need them for recording music, but also I need them to do audio for video, to use on a boompole for interior work. The Schoeps are king in video + film production. I wonder, is it because they sound better, or is it because they are a little more rugged? I'd be a little freaked out bringing a KM184 around with me all the time in a field audio bag. Do you think the KM184 could be damaged more easily?

I love the sound of the KM184 on cymbals. It's pure magic.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:47 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
SubFunk wrote: i talk out of my personal experience using them.
Here's the thing. I need pencil mics for two things. I need them for recording music, but also I need them to do audio for video, to use on a boompole for interior work. The Schoeps are king in video + film production. I wonder, is it because they sound better, or is it because they are a little more rugged? I'd be a little freaked out bringing a KM184 around with me all the time in a field audio bag. Do you think the KM184 could be damaged more easily?

I love the sound of the KM184 on cymbals. It's pure magic.
who told you that schoeps are the king of boom mics???

schoeps are sounding very good, are very good manufactured and you have good service, paying your price, though, but this you do with neuman as well...

but schoeps are notorius for feedback problems when used under high sound pressure levels.

you can use a KM as a boom, fact is that in this class any mic is not rugged like a football, hence the define sound it re-creates and the pureness under low level conditions... makes them fragile, but a neuman is built well and you want to use it always with a pop, outdoors.

very highly recommendable boom mics are sennheiser... the mkh 60/70 they are real boom mic shotguns, reliable, good sound, etc. but not verstaile at all... they are just shotguns for movie / film that's it.

if you like the general character of the KM i would go for one of these...

choose the character like a 40 or 50

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=curr ... escription

it's the same as the 184, just you have the body called KM100 and then you choose the character of the capsule that fits your needs best, cardioid , hyper cardioid , figure8, flat not flat etc.

i like the 40 as an allrounder, still being a bit 'shotgun' like
AK 40 is a pressure gradient transducer with cardioid characteristic. The frequency curves are very smooth and match 0° sound incidence. Sound from sources within a pickup angle of ± 135° is reproduced without any coloration.
my 2cents

and i forgot to mention that you easy can enhance your collection buying once a KM100 and then the AK capsules with different characters time after time... no need to buy the 'whole' mic again. makes it cheaper... if we can talk cheap talking neuman and schoeps... but you get a lifetime mic and a lifetime service.
*** Image GAFM ***

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:23 pm

SubFunk wrote:who told you that schoeps are the king of boom mics???
I was informed by professional field sound recordists.
SubFunk wrote: but schoeps are notorius for feedback problems when used under high sound pressure levels.
I wouldn't use my good mics on a stage for live sound. Only if a production paid me a rental fee and no one else handled my mics but me. I would say that containing feedback is a challenge with any condensers on stage with high SPLs.
SubFunk wrote: you can use a KM as a boom,
I have used KM184s for interior shots on a boompole. It works great. Just for the record + anyone reading this that is curious, shotgun microphones are mainly used outdoors, or sometimes in larger indoor spaces. 9.9 times out of 10, a professional sound person recording interior shots uses a pencil mic on the boompole.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLe ... mpoles.jsp
SubFunk wrote: very highly recommendable boom mics are sennheiser... the mkh 60/70 they are real boom mic shotguns, reliable, good sound, etc. but not verstaile at all... they are just shotguns for movie / film that's it.
Those are good shotguns, but the Scheops CMIT is by far the best sounding one around. The new R0DE NTG3 is super good for the price. I have seen theatrical sound designers use shotgun microphones on stage. I used an ME66 on a snare once. It sounded cool.
SubFunk wrote: if you like the general character of the KM i would go for one of these...

choose the character like a 40 or 50

http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=curr ... escription

it's the same as the 184, just you have the body called KM100 and then you choose the character of the capsule that fits your needs best, cardioid , hyper cardioid , figure8, flat not flat etc.

i like the 40 as an allrounder, still being a bit 'shotgun' like
AK 40 is a pressure gradient transducer with cardioid characteristic. The frequency curves are very smooth and match 0° sound incidence. Sound from sources within a pickup angle of ± 135° is reproduced without any coloration.
and i forgot to mention that you easy can enhance your collection buying once a KM100 and then the AK capsules with different characters time after time... no need to buy the 'whole' mic again. makes it cheaper... if we can talk cheap talking neuman and schoeps... but you get a lifetime mic and a lifetime service.
Hmmm. Worth some consideration. It would be hard to go all the way through life without a real pair of KM184s though! Damn SubFunk. You've swayed me again!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 pm

HD wrote:
I wouldn't use my good mics on a stage for live sound. Only if a production paid me a rental fee and no one else handled my mics but me. I would say that containing feedback is a challenge with any condensers on stage with high SPLs.
shure, generally you are right but on a scale 1-5
5 being best the schoeps is a 2
and the KM a 5 when it comes to feedback under the exact same conditions.

and about the Scheops CMIT, shure it's sounding wow, but i am comming from a perspective of 'the real conditions' and a mic needs to deal well with wind (of course using a fluffy pop), feedback, moist, etc. is important.

and there are others who are more 'workable'

my 2 cents, though.

YEAh, think that KM100 plus AKs set through

:wink:
*** Image GAFM ***

madhattared

Post by madhattared » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 pm

so what was your decision?
Live 7 hackintosh 10.5.2 q6600 raptor 4gig x3d pk FW410 bcr2k xboard49 Ultrasone DJ1 BM5a

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:21 am

madhattared wrote:so what was your decision?
Probably the KM184's. I'm not going to get them until Jan/Feb. It's just a big decision and worth ironing out months in advance. :)