Question about Simpler

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
michhill8

Question about Simpler

Post by michhill8 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:58 am

Ok, so if you guys have been paying attention to the board for the past day you know that I'm new to sampling. Now... I have some samples that I want to work with. But... it seems I can only plan one sample at a time with simpler.

I have seen videos where a guy sets each key on his MIDI controller to play different samples.. but I can't seem to get that extra window to open (I believe it is called a chain?)

Could this be because I have Live Lite?

Thanks.

michhill8

Post by michhill8 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:37 am

and also... lets say I want to play a little something with a particular sample and not speed or slow it down when pressing any other key besides C3.. can this be done? I know i can transpose by changing that little box, but I want to keep each pitch the same speed.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:56 am

1 - I believe in Live Lite/Live LE you can't edit racks, it's one of the features that is disabled/works only in the full version.

2 Change pitch without changing length of a sample: You can't do it with simpler. But you can do it with a clip in session view.

put the sample into a clip slot in session view

Go into midi-assign-mode

press the middle-c on your midi-keyboard, and while you have it pressed, press another key more upwards and then another one mor downwards on the keyboard. This will define the range of notes that is assigned on that clip.

go out of midi-assign mode

Now go into the clip view and select qunatize-none

Now you can "play" the clip on your midi-keyboard, within the range that you had defined before.

You might want to experiment with different quantization settings.