Different names for different projects?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silverfish

Different names for different projects?

Post by Silverfish » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Hello Able-artists-

I need some advice. The music I make is decidedly diverse. One track may be kind of minimal ambient prog whatever, and the next might be electro house, or anywhere in between. Would it be wise to release tunes under two different names if they really sound so very different from each other?

Thanks

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Why not?!?!

Shit... I think when my tunes are ready for the masses, I might just give each tune out as a completely different person...
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:00 pm

You know, then again, you might want to just show versatility as one artist...

Then again, some people might want to label a particular artist name with a particular sound, and creating a new sound for one name might allienate some fans...

Then again...

:arrow:

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 pm

:lol: :lol:

The only downside I can see is that it would be twice the myspace/virb/soundcloud/promotion upkeep, so i don't know... thanks for your thoughts, though.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 pm

I've thought the same thing. I'd probably use different names myself. But you can go either way. Big name people like Beck and Radiohead have certainly released albums that sound not much like the previous, and then you've got people (can't think of any off the top of my head) who release music under like 8 different pseudonyms. I suppose just do whatever feels right, no idea if either is better. Seems like it's more work to maintain multiple artist names, though, i.e. multiple websites and whatnot.

j2j

Post by j2j » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10 pm

Airwaves, has released tracks under at least ten different monikers.
too many lasers...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:04 pm

I say no, especially if you aren't somebody well known. It's hard enough attracting people to just one of your projects. Having multiple projects just makes it that much harder. I've seen several people try the multiple names thing and it has failed.

I think the only time multiple names works is if A). you are well known and are branching out or B). you are discontinuing a project to start another.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:15 pm

And I'd like to add that according to your description you are essentially doing just house, despite the sub-genre nazis around here. You're not dabbling in house, then classical, then folk, then metal. So another reason to not have multiple names.

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:33 pm

I agree on the upkeep thing, but at the same time, I'ma quote one of my favorite tunes for a sec...

"Record sales, things like that, they keep the roof over your head, keep money in these folks pockets that I got hanging around here, but it basically stems from the music, and I'm just hoping people understand... Money is one thing, soul is another"...

- "I'll Call You" - Soul Mekanik

IF the tunes are good and you're having a good time, it don't matter what the hell you call yourself...

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 am

Beats me and weeddigger, I like the way you guys think. One name it is. Now to decide if I should keep the one I've got or spring for something else... hmm... :lol:

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Ha! Thanks...

So... You've been going with Silverfish everywhere?

That's kind of cool.

Same time, it reminds me of my co-worker, Scott Silverman...

Cool guy but he talks a lot of shit! I wouldn't mess with though, the guy is three times my size, and I bet he could eat a Puerto Rican like me in a couple of days.

I know I could out run the dude, but he's a crazy one too, he might be packing, even in the office!

Imagine a huge, crazy Cuban, who's been adopted by a white Jewish family...

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:13 pm

Would you say he's Cubish? Or a Jewban?

One time I almost impregnated a Thai... That would make Thai Ricans?!?

I dunno...

Anywho...

WTF?@!??

I'm @ work, losing my mind... Pardon the OT nonsense...

kpa

Post by kpa » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:08 pm

i had this problem too, a while back. i was making full electronic stuff as kpa, and then i began making kind of guitar/electronic stuff too, but was going to put this out as something else.

in the end, as someone suggested, it means starting over the whole promotion thing for the new name.

i am sticking to the one name, and that might mean that there is a 909 heavy remix and a guitar number by the same person, but so what, who cares, its made the one person, its less nathan barley to have one name i think. I would guess that people who have extra monikers (e.g. matthew dear) do so for contractual reasons instead of anything else.

kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha