Should Timur/Crash stop posting technical posts?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

No, please keep writing technical posts!
37%
Yes, please stop writing technical posts!
63%

Total votes: 54

Crash

Post by Crash » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:55 pm

Now that the "ban Timur/Crash" poll is showing a clear trend I'd like to start my own poll. And no, I did not vote on the other poll, there was no fitting answer for me. :)

I am often writing long threads about technical stuff. Admittedly I write mostly about issues and how to possibly workaround them, but not exclusively.

Some people have complained about these posts being irrelevant, often wrong and sometimes even lying.

Less people have approved heartedly and thanked me for sharing valuable informations.

Here is your chance to tell me wether I should keep writing these posts for you or wether you'd rather not see anymore of this from me.

Thanks for participating in the poll! :wink:
HAL: I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

abort

Post by abort » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:00 am

Sometimes you go over my head a bit, but seems you know what the fuck your talking about!

Whats the deal with the hate threads these days anyway ..mommy and daddy not supporting your gear whore addiction.

lighten up bitches!?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:05 am

**gollum**

we'll be nice to them - if they'll be nice to us

<evil grin>

<furtive sideways glance>

:D

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:05 am

The poll simply does not work for me: it is hopelessly flawed. There is not an option for "die, die, die in a pool of your own flaming spewage".

When you add an option for this, maybe then I will consider voting in your poll. As it stands, the poll is essentially useless. I can only assume that, based on this flawed poll, that all of the thinking in Timur/Crash-land is similarly flawed!

Clearly, construction of a well balanced poll, truly informative poll is beyond your capabilities- this undoubtedly is due to your earliest childhood.

Or perhaps it is me being too sensitive to the overbearing demands of the Timur/Crash (East German-STASI) Regime!!!

THat's IT! I am not participating in the poll, and I am selling my answer to the poll on eBay for a ridiculously low price, just to spite you.

:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: <- they must see the humor in this, even in Timur/Crash-land, I can only assume this is so. :lol:
Last edited by mikemc on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:13 am

I don't like tech posts.

I rather hear your explanation why tons of credible cool dudes have a beef with you :wink:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 am

the reality is this, if you brought up an issue to the forum do you think people would want to discuss it with you? would you be able to? it's all up to you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:54 am

I have no idea what the deal is but I went with my gut and voted 'yes'

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:35 am

While some of the technical stuff you've posted has been very helpful and I thank you for the time and trouble you've saved me, I do feel that you sometimes take things a little bit too far.

I voted that you should continue to post technical stuff, but perhaps it might be a good idea if you stuck to the facts.

For example your discovery that on vista setting the live exe's priority to realtime prevents audio artifacts from happening was very helpful and solved a problem that I was having that support has not managed too fix (yet).
Howvever the info was burried in a rant about the shortcomings of Ableton support staff and your guesses and assumptions about the cause af the problem.
I really do appreciate the help you have given the users on here though and in many ways I understand your frustration when Live doesn't work as it should.

LeifonMars

Re: Should Timur/Crash stop posting technical posts?

Post by LeifonMars » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:52 am

Crash wrote:
I am often writing long threads about technical stuff. Admittedly I write mostly about issues and how to possibly workaround them, but not exclusively.
But then again often your posts are attention seeking thingies, which give another kind of impression about you. Try little less to be the weirdest, yet most beloved in-kind-of-love-hate-way member of the forum. I actually came across some of your contribution to "technical threads" and was impressed, and some piece of information I even can recall myself appreciating, so thank you. But then again, there are dozens of other members to be thanked first for massive contribution...

Oh, and since you're not Timur (are you?), should he not be excluded from this thread?

dom

Post by dom » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:24 am

abort wrote:Sometimes you go over my head a bit, but seems you know what the fuck your talking about!
Hey folks,

besides being a Live geek like you all i'm responsible for the Ableton Tech Support and someone who spent 12 years doing technical support in this industry for 5 days a week min.
I care personally and my declared goal is simply to offer the best support team on planet earth in this field.
I'm also someone who dealt with Timur for one year now on a nearly weekly basis, so i hope it is ok for you if i comment this:

He really is an amateur, constantly trying to come up with wild assumptions based on stuff he is reading somewhere on the internet and testing at home.

If you ask me personally, he fulfills every single fact of being a complete imposter, and as he is also playing his game in other forums and even making fun of ableton on his myspace bandmembers list.
If i have to speculate he is maybe even trying to use it as some kind of marketing gag for his musical project, but as i work for Ableton i should not have to judge this or join speculations.

If you need to read a good timur-in-a-nutshell description check the analysis of H2k or ToneDeft - the latter i couldn't have written shorter and more to the point.

As another concerning fact i like to link back to the day when he started to explain his motivation to get personally involved into digital audio production and Live:

"Actually my collaboration with him is the reason I have started to use Live at all. And the reason why I am so active on this forum atm is because I spend alot of time on learning my new digital tools including Live and try to learn as much from the experienced users on the forum as possible. Taking part in the 64 vs 32-bit discussion is partly out of curiosity and partly out of the desire to learn the facts (aka learn the tools)."

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... ols#593205

Now, after a year of self-studying teh internets take a look at his current threads and judge yourself.
He is constantly blaming my team and me personally for being amateurs, trying to explain our developers how to do their job and he is spreading plain wrong and hateful information in our own forum - know what? we try to stay as professional as possible and still refuse to censor or ban him because we believe this would be the wrong sign for the rest of the customers.

On the other hand this really takes away valuable working hours and team motivation as we constantly have to correct his false statements that alienate our costumers.

Don't feed the troll, i don't care for the result of this poll and I wouldn't write this if there would not be the latest bit of hope on my side that he now finally understands that he is doing himself and his musical career no favor and should better stop trolling, stop doing technical posts and start to try to build up an honest reputation. I would welcome this decision and beside having told him recently what i think of him on a personal level i love my job and still offer him support by contacting me and our team.

If he decides otherwise:
Nothing forces us into supporting him at all, it is a free service we love to offer our customers on top of their Live purchase - but it is also our right to refuse to do so.
In crash/timur's case i would consider taking that step for the first time of my life in order to secure the support experience for the rest of our customer base.

Thanks for listening, for coming up with your own conclusions and for being such a great community!

Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:36 am

dom wrote:I'm also someone who dealt with Timur for one year now on a nearly weekly basis, so i hope it is ok for you if i comment this:
Thanks for sharing your own opinion. It's good to hear how you guys view the situation rather than reading the assessments of others (no offense, others).
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

creature

Post by creature » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:04 am

I dont mind technical articles as long as they dont turn into rants and the articles are accurate. Just be nice :-) We are all part of a community trying to get best out of our favorite piece of software.

Interesting post dom, thanks for being so honest.

I dont think banning anyone is a good idea unless they resort to personal insults and get nasty, but of course that doesn't stop them from signing up with a different alias.

Now everyone, move along, and lets get back to creating tunes :D

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:36 am

Crash/Timur Or whatever your name is... It seems to me from reading all this that people are asking you to show some respect, be honest, humble, and basically chill the fuck out..

I personally think you have a 'saviour' complex.. This thread for example is like you're wanting to be publicly crucified or worshiped.. Talk about inflated ego!
You just love being in the 'limelight'. Well don't we all.. However what do you want to be know for?

It is totally obvious that the Abes have been very patient with you, and so have most people on this forum.. I voted 'no' to banning you, as I think it would be a shame not to give you the opportunity to turn things around, and put this whole mess to rights. But , I'm wondering if you have that capability.

Yes you're getting an awful amount of attention, but what for? If you think that you are so bloody fantastic, then where are the qualities of respect, honesty and humility?

Nobody here, or at Ableton wants to get into a hate campaign against you.. We've all got better things to do with our time and energy..

As Tone Deft has said 'it's in your hands', it's up to you.. Can you take the challenge? Are you big enough? Can you see/feel what is happening here? I really hope so.

C'mon mate sort it out, stop all this BS, and let's move on, together.

In peace
Hd

@ Dom thanks for sharing............ And yes this is a fantastically cool community! 8)

dom

Post by dom » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:50 am

Rave wrote:Me thinks technical/ trouble shooting posts have a place in the correct forum just not in the general one so I voted no :)
Out of pure curiosity: Did you read my post or did you skip it?

Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:02 pm

Crash - I'm not voting in your poll because it is just silly.

Post about whatever you want to. Just try not to rub people up the wrong way.

I thank you for drawing my attention to the DPC latency tool and the role that non audio device drivers have to play in audio perfomance. And for helping to dispel the many myths about performance tuning and windows services / background task priorities etc.

And I respect your right to react negatively when people insult your sister or your mother. (Dom - you really should clamp down on that sort of thing)

But it's turning into a circus - and I'm not sure whether you see yourself as the clown or the ringmaster.

This is the last word from me on the subject - I'm not going to get drawn into it any further, and neither should anyone else - including you, if you have any sense.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)