just saw Sasha use Ableton!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
supster

Post by supster » Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:37 pm

drush wrote: 1 & 2 - famous or not, he does play crap music. has for many years.
3 - there's nothing wrong with using Live. i hope it greatly improves what he does.

"People seem so bothered about technicalities these days that they don't hear the music anymore."
Well, 1 is a matter of opinion :)

Reports on this tour are, he's playing some amazing things with live. But, if you're not into that kind of music, fine.

I think the main thing people are missing, is how much what he is doing paves the way for others. He legitimizes it for a lot of people.

Because there are a lot of people that are going to look at someone performing with Live and say "that's BS. He's not using vinyl, he must be pressing a button and doing everything autmatically"

But if he does it, people will "get it" and will think its ok. It might be dumb, but thats psychology

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:33 pm

i posted this on another string earlier today but i think its relevant in this case:

its good to see that it not all vinyl purists moaning on about how technology will be the death of the dj er 'artform'. dont get me wrong, i've been djing for 12 years with my 1210's and i've got more vinyl than i know what to do with. I also bought the new tascam TTM cd system 3 months ago. then i bought live to studio set up...

its all change i havent touched the 1210's in weeks. i cant understand people/ dj's like jeff mills who spend thousands on the most up to date technology to make their music. then insist on playing it on technology that been around for thirty years or more???? what the fucks all that about? computers - cheating some my ask? i stated, i've been mixing for 12 years - no ones going to tell me i cant mix. but one thing i found out early on is if you can program forget it. that why live is really pushing things on by allowing originality and creativity. djs who get paid top dollar and have little creative talent will have to either raise their game or fall by the way side. as for me apart from some stuff on cd etc its a laptop and live from now on.

preach brother preach.

now with the internet downloads no record last 6 - 9 months anymore. its 6 weeks if your lucky. unless you re-edit your own stuff and create your own stuff. hence live or applications like it are the way to go.

mettkea

Post by mettkea » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:50 pm

I saw Sasha in Minneapolis back in early October and he banged out a great set w/ Live! Thanks for the cool pics as well!

drush

Post by drush » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:06 pm

supster wrote:
drush wrote: 1 & 2 - famous or not, he does play crap music. has for many years.
3 - there's nothing wrong with using Live. i hope it greatly improves what he does.

"People seem so bothered about technicalities these days that they don't hear the music anymore."
Well, 1 is a matter of opinion :)

Reports on this tour are, he's playing some amazing things with live. But, if you're not into that kind of music, fine.

I think the main thing people are missing, is how much what he is doing paves the way for others. He legitimizes it for a lot of people.
unfortunately you're right in some regards. ironic thing is there are plenty of other Big Name djs doing the same thing (who don't play crap music ;)), have been doing it for a good deal longer than sasha. they just don't publicize it. however, for the good of the app and it's longevity i can see the benefit in sasha making like he's god's gift. again.

supster

Post by supster » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:48 pm

drush wrote: unfortunately you're right in some regards. ironic thing is there are plenty of other Big Name djs doing the same thing (who don't play crap music ;)), have been doing it for a good deal longer than sasha. they just don't publicize it. however, for the good of the app and it's longevity i can see the benefit in sasha making like he's god's gift. again.
Very true ... there are others and some of them are doing amazing stuff too. He just happens to be in a position to be scrutinzed more, thats all. The others get recognition where it matters - with the fans - its just not as visible to the mainstream.

As far as him having attitude - havent met him personally, but I do people that know him well .. and all impressions I have is that he seems to be pretty down to earth guy considering. Honest ..

drush

Post by drush » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:37 am

attitude? no, he's a pretty nice guy. i've spent some time with him. god's gift is in reference to the marketing of his otherworldy djness, which he aint.

anyway, hooray he's using ableton. who cares what i think of his music. 8)

Jincx

Post by Jincx » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:32 pm

how about the decks guys.. i mean how do you forward rewind,cue or shift pitch(like cd player or tt) the audio when you on the mix?is it like fs just put a fs cd and play with software..works like this?

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:51 pm

Jincx wrote:how about the decks guys.. i mean how do you forward rewind,cue or shift pitch(like cd player or tt) the audio when you on the mix?is it like fs just put a fs cd and play with software..works like this?
Don't really need dex anymore - the computer becomes as many dex as you can think of. Do a search on the forum, especially about taking multiple instances of the same clip, but changing loop parameters, and improvise.

moneyclip

Post by moneyclip » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:13 am

"i cant understand people/ dj's like jeff mills who spend thousands on the most up to date technology to make their music. then insist on playing it on technology that been around for thirty years or more????"

nuperspective, what exactly is jeff mills using these days? last i heard he had a hardware sampler, a few space echos, tr-909 and old ANALOG keyboards. his sound on purpose maker and axis seem to reflect these old pieces of gear as well. can't you hear that in his records? what is he using that is up to date? maybe it's changed recently. and what record of his can i buy to hear this latest technology?

on the topic, i am glad to see people using new technology.

it's peoples innovation regardless of the technology that leads to inspiring music.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:21 am

no doubt he uses 'classic' gear to get the sound hes after. but laying it down? thats not on a set up this side of protools. however, the point i'm making is jeff [by his own admission] is a vinyl purist and even the the classic gear is still 'future' by the side of 1210 technology.

jeff is an advocate of techno - technologically advanced music. futuristic, forward thinking, revolutionary etc. but when it comes to playing the stuff its a luddites view from the dark ages. its got to be on a 1210 because... its... always been that way.

i'm not hitting on jeff - hes a class act and top dj. its just hes view polarises, say sashas view [which is talked about a great deal on this forum]. its just i find that view point a contradiction.

cheers.

Kage

Post by Kage » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:47 am

jack rock wrote:
Kage wrote:I got an email from sasha a few months back while he was touring the states.. He wanted a samplepack of an EP I put out on the french label, Lumina. I'm curious to hear some of his recent ableton sets to see if he's using any of my songs or samples.
Cool to see some famous people on the board. I still love your album on Thinner. Just thought i'd let you know... :)

Jack
Ah, thanks jack.. I'm not very famous, though.. :) Glad you enjoyed it..!

So, does anyone have any of these sasha ableton sets recorded by chance?