Is there any difference in the Educational Version?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
freelobotomy

Is there any difference in the Educational Version?

Post by freelobotomy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:07 pm

Simple question, in and out...

Is the educational version of Live any different? Is there even such a thing as the educational version of Live, or is it just Ableton Live 7 with an educational discount? I'm a full time student looking to upgrade from LE 7 and I'm having trouble finding any explicit specifications that show two distinct versions of Ableton Live 7....
Last edited by freelobotomy on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:12 pm

It's standard practice to make the academic versions _NOT_ be upgradable.
Meaning you get the software at a discount, but then when new versions come out there's no way for you to upgrade the software.

Other than that, they should be identical to the original product.

Your case would be some kind of cross-grade between non-academic LE to academic full-version.

I think you should write them, they're sure to give you a friendly reply.
-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

freelobotomy

Post by freelobotomy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:36 pm

hmm... your logic makes sense to me mesmer, thank you.

anyone else know off the top of their heads before I have to email ableton support and wait all weekend for a response?

by the way... tremendous apologies for the "there/their" catastrophe in the topic title... I'm guessing half of the users on this forum don't even want to read a post with such a blatant error... talk about red flags...

slicedbread

Post by slicedbread » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:54 pm

different pricing. that's it.

i was able to buy the 6 suite at academic price and upgrade to 7 at an academic upgrade price because i was still in school.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Some of the differences are;

No printed manual. The manual is written on a very large chalk board.
No clips or presets. Instead it contains a special pack put together by the covert operators that contains versions of popular nursery rhymes and sesame street themes.
Different GUI It is yellow and orange, and the buttons and sliders are much bigger and are easier to clean.
The box it comes in is much bigger and can be used to build and awesome fort.

These are the more apparent differences.. :wink:
Maybe some others with more experience will add some more.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

rbro

Post by rbro » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:55 pm

As far as I know, there are no restrictions on upgrades for educational discounts

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:56 pm

you can edit the title, you know -

I would like to know as well, anyway, I'm on student version, and will be a student for the next four years, which is too long to strictly be on Live 7...I also upgraded to the student license of 7 from the standard license for 6, so I'm definitely interested in whatever answer you get.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:58 pm

Homebelly wrote: The box it comes in is much bigger and can be used to build and awesome fort.
ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT YOU HAVE A FORT WITH AN ABLETON LOGO PRINTED ON IT?

My pillow fort in my mother's basement just seem inadequate after hearing that...I hope my tears of jealousy don't short my keyboard out :wink:

Brian Ffar

Post by Brian Ffar » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:27 pm

From the Ableton site:

Student and Teacher Purchases
Please note: Live purchased with an educational discount has the full functions and capabilities as Live purchased for the full price. The restriction: Educational versions of Live can only be resold to students or teachers with proof of educational status.

freelobotomy

Post by freelobotomy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:30 pm

last man on earth wrote:you can edit the title, you know -
a ha! very good, my man...