new reaktor spark synth : anyone got it ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
brianbacio

new reaktor spark synth : anyone got it ?

Post by brianbacio » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:34 pm

Demos sound good and design looks neat. for the price i just might get it.
BrianBacio
a modern computer and all sorts of hardware

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:56 pm

I thought the samples sounded good, but paying 50 euros for what would be (for me) a Reaktor .ens just seems wrong.

Having said that, I bought Electronic Instruments 1 & 2 and they are good...

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:13 pm

true; what about Massive then, been tempted to get that for all the messing you can do with it, and for sure there is no other ens. as heavy as that one : is it worth 200 € though ?
BrianBacio

esky

Post by esky » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:21 pm

I bought it, i think it's very good and worth the money. But tastes a different,
was never interested in massive, for example.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:50 pm

I'd love to get it but I'm in the same boat. I can't justify spending that much on a reaktor ensemble. Kore presets or not.
Professional Shark Jumper.

brianbacio

Post by brianbacio » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:01 pm

esky :
tell me why massive no and spark yes.
BrianBacio

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:16 pm

brianbacio wrote:esky :
tell me why massive no and spark yes.
I think your confusing the ensemble massive and massive the separate application?

kinkajou

Post by kinkajou » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:23 pm

the massive synth was "born" in reaktor and so i think that he meant that massive is a standalone ens only... just for €200 ;)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:26 pm

kinkajou wrote:the massive synth was "born" in reaktor and so i think that he meant that massive is a standalone ens only... just for €200 ;)
I think the idea that Massive uses any Reaktor code or technology is a myth. I've heard that the idea of it was first toyed with in Reaktor (prabably the signal routing or general concept), but the synth itself was made completely independant of reaktor, just like fm8 or any of their other synths.
Professional Shark Jumper.

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:30 pm

I have it (I know you're all surprised :lol: )

Why's it worth it?

1) the concept. Using feedback paths as FM modulators is a logical extension of the feedback loop used in DX style synthesizers, but it's one that's rarely if ever implemented. VirSyn's TERA allows you to use a wave delay as a modulator, but that's the only other one I can think of offhand.

This gives you access to lots of different timbres that you wouldn''t associate with a synth that only has a pulse and sine oscillator, two envelopes and one LFO.

2) the sound. While a lot of the included snaps are things I wouldn't use myself, they're still very good. And, if you're using it in Kore/Kore player, the variations for the most part are very good. And, once you get your feet wet, you'll find it's not that difficult to program to get what you want out of it.

3) the structure. If you're a Reaktor owner, the structure's a master class on alternative ways to build. And, you get some unique Core cells and macros that you won't find anywhere else done by one of the few people who really knows what Core's all about.

It's funny that Massive's brought up here; one of my biggest wishes for a future Massive version has always been that feedback could be used as a modulator...

Your NI forum moderator,
ew

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:33 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
kinkajou wrote:the massive synth was "born" in reaktor and so i think that he meant that massive is a standalone ens only... just for €200 ;)
I think the idea that Massive uses any Reaktor code or technology is a myth. I've heard that the idea of it was first toyed with in Reaktor (prabably the signal routing or general concept), but the synth itself was made completely independant of reaktor, just like fm8 or any of their other synths.
Correct. Reaktor's used quite often for proof of concept, but that's as far as it goes. To build a Massive clone and have it run in Reaktor would take far more horsepower than what we have available nowdays.

ew

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:55 pm

ewistrand wrote:I have it (I know you're all surprised :lol: )

It's funny that Massive's brought up here; one of my biggest wishes for a future Massive version has always been that feedback could be used as a modulator...

Your NI forum moderator,
ew
Youll need to explain that a bit more... why would you want to do that and what benefits would it bring to the tabel?

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:05 pm

jeskola wrote:
ewistrand wrote:I have it (I know you're all surprised :lol: )

Your NI forum moderator,
ew
Youll need to explain that a bit more... why would you want to do that and what benefits would it bring to the tabel?
Why?

Massive's feedback loop can be one of four places; after filter 1, after filter 2, after all the filters but pre- amp and pan, and after all the filters and amp and pan.

By having the feedback loop say after filter 1, you could use it to modulate anything going through filter 2, and filter 1 would allow you to attenuate or boost frequencies to get much more control over what the modulator's content actually is. And, to make this really useful, the choice of feedback to replace the modulation oscillator would be the way to go; the modulation oscillator's got all the right routings already.

It's the same concept that Yamaha used with the SY77/SY99; it works well.

ew