select next scene on launch not working v7.0.12

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Raphta

select next scene on launch not working v7.0.12

Post by Raphta » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:47 pm

W/ v7.0.12 on my MacB pro OSX leo, the function 'select next scene on launch' doesn't work anymore. 7.0.10 is ok.
Minor bug, but nevertheless annoying me.
And yes it's enabled in preferences!
myspace.com/soliddecay

[dfi]

Post by [dfi] » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi Raphta,

how are you doing it?
It works fine for me here with the same setup...

Best,
dfi

jok

Post by jok » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi Raphta,

working fine on my Macbook over here.
How do you launch a scene? Launching by just clicking the scene directly has not selected the next scene in earlier versions of Live either (that´s the way it´s specified).

If you launch the scenes using the RETURN key or key-/midi-map the scene launch button, then the next scene will be selected upon launch.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Raphta

Post by Raphta » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:39 pm

Hi Jorg and dfi,

Thnx for the quick reply.
Did some tests, and it seems indeed the 'RETURN' key is working fine in v12.
However when I launch a scene w/ my bitstream3x midimapped play button, which works fine w/ v10, it does not. No changes made in Midi prefs, same bitstream mode etc. So my conclusion till now is it doesn't work w/ midi map.

Hope to be clear enough for you.

cheers,
Raphta

[Hi Raphta,

working fine on my Macbook over here.
How do you launch a scene? Launching by just clicking the scene directly has not selected the next scene in earlier versions of Live either (that´s the way it´s specified).

If you launch the scenes using the RETURN key or key-/midi-map the scene launch button, then the next scene will be selected upon launch.

Best,
Jörg]
myspace.com/soliddecay

Raphta

Can you reproduce this?

Post by Raphta » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Still wondering if you can reproduce the bug?
Cheers R.
myspace.com/soliddecay

jok

Post by jok » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:59 am

Hi Raphta,

unfortunately I haven´t been able to reproduce the problem (I used a Remote SL however) - everything is working as expected. Can you map other functions in Live to the play button of your Bitstream?

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

najemsworb

Post by najemsworb » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:35 pm

hi there,

same problem for me with my bitstream.
It neither works when mapped to another assignable button.

best. najem

ps: I've sent a mail to the support with my peferences file

jok

Post by jok » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi Raphta,

I did some research, the behavior has indeed changed a bit (in order to fix another inconsistency with scene launch):
- now, a mapped note-on message or a cc of 64 or higher will trigger the scene
- a note off message (releasing the note) or a cc of 63 or lower will select the next scene

Since many buttons set to cc send out 127 when pressed and 0 when released, you would not even notice this change (that´s why could not reproduce the problem first).

Solution: please reconfigure the button on your controller you want to use for mapping the scene-launch, so it sends out eg. 127/0 or note-on/note-off.

According to the Bitstream´s manual, this is achieved by setting a button to "Push" mode in the "Assign Menu", this should also be possible in standard mode. Normally, this should be the standard setting. I am trying to get a hold of a Bitstream controller asap, maybe you can check what the button you want to map is sending out by using Midi Monitor (http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/) and try to use the Assign function to configure the buttons as described above.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

najemsworb

Post by najemsworb » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks a lot Jörg, i'll check that out.

Cheers. Najem

jok

Post by jok » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Ok,

selecting "Push" instead of "Toggle" does the trick here:
- click EDIT twice
- the screen should say "3X Control Assign", press OK
- press on the button you want to assign
- you should see "Assign Standard Mode", turn the Select knob to select "Assign Common"
- press OK
- use the Select knob to select "Switch Mode"
- press OK
- select "Push" (instead of Toggle), press the Select knob to confirm the selection
- press Cancel multiple times to exit
- now your button should work as expected
- in case pressing the button leads to jumping 2 scenes: deactivate the 2nd Bitstream Midi Input port in Live´s Midi/Sync preferences - Live is otherwise receiving the same message twice. Alternatively you can also deactivate "Send to Out2" in the knob´s "Assign Common" screen (see above).

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Raphta

Oops

Post by Raphta » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:32 pm

See next post
Last edited by Raphta on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raphta

The story continues :)

Post by Raphta » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:34 pm

First of all many thanks for the effort.

use the Select knob to select "Switch Mode" should be "Button Mode" I guess.
Anyway, push nor toggle change the midi data, it's both a 'note on' message with the data 'A#5 127'.

21:12:40.540 From Bitstream 3X Port 1 Note On 1 A#5 127
21:12:40.541 From Bitstream 3X Port 2 Note On 1 A#5 127

However, above is what the mMon file says for both v7.0.12 and v7.0.10: and the BS3x operates in 'Mackie Control' mode.
This mode is recommended by Waveidea to use with Live.
Maybe it's getting quite a bit complex to reproduce, so hopefully you did get a hold on a bs3x?

Cheers Ralph
myspace.com/soliddecay

jok

Post by jok » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:48 pm

hi raphta,

the steps I described above fixed the problem on the bitstream for me - althoughI did not use it in Mackie mode. I don´t have one in front of me right now, but I would recommend to simply set one of the assignable buttons up for scene launch (not one of the transport buttons).
You have to make sure that the button you use sends out either a Note-On AND a Note-off, or a CC with 127 followed by 0 thereafter - by setting it to "push".

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

najemsworb

Post by najemsworb » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:47 pm

hi there,

i've tried to set that parameter this way, but it worked only once. Then i decided to try this in mackie mode, though don't know why it's recommended as i'm usually working with standard mode and live works well. But it didn't work and stayed in playing without selecting next scene, and i got the same problem again going back to standard mode. So i thought it was probably a stability problem with the 3x, so i updated it to the last firmware. I set the control parameter to push. The result was a selection of a scene two scene further. It jumps for example from 1st to the 3rd, and doesn't start it if you push play, the first track keeping playing and selection jumps two scenes further.
Tried this also with the last beta version of live. it's the same.

Also i've just noticed that if i map for the first time the select next when play function(enabled in settings) to a new plain live set, it will lunch without selecting next scene. But if i erase this mapping and do it again with same button, it will do the select jumping one out of two scenes, without playing. tricky, innnit?

I hope it helps.
best regards. najem

jok

Post by jok » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Hi najemsworb,

you wrote:
The result was a selection of a scene two scene further. It jumps for example from 1st to the 3rd, and doesn't start it if you push play, the first track keeping playing and selection jumps two scenes further.
Please make sure to either have the "send to out2" function of the button deactivated (in the Bitstream) or simply turn off "track"/"remote" for the 2nd input port of the Bitstream in Live´s Midi/Sync preferences.

Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com