Yes! Ableton-Linux would be nice :)
84%
No, I'm a windows noob -.-
16%

Total votes: 202

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:10 am

omg 39 geeks in this place?

the way the question is asked is completely reatarded.. you cannot call windows users noobs without calling linux users geekmorons
:lol:

panosl

Post by panosl » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:06 pm

Ableton for Linux would be nice. My MacBook is out of order, so I'm stuck on my ubuntu desktop.

I'm a paying ableton customer, and I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for Live on Linux desktop.

Apparently someone tried running it through WINE, and got it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aliceinwire/2368866680/

I really like OS X, but I like linux as much. The main reason I use OS X is for Live, everything else I need to do, is doable in Linux already.

It seems FLOSS community has come a long way :)

algarcia

Post by algarcia » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:48 pm

it would be really nice to have ableton on linux. ubuntu at least.

why?
because PC users deserve a nice and stable OS for making music

we've got Mac!
yeah, you're right but the cheapest macbook is 1100 bucks, while a nice and cheap compaq is less than 500

get your compaq and run live on windows
NO! you need to clean up your windows installation, remove all vendors software and have at least 1gb ram for a half decent performance on vista, which comes preinstalled on all new computers. since windows is taking itself about half of the system resources i think ableton live will do better on linux.

think about it, windows itself uses around 600mb of ram out of 1gb, while ubuntu uses about 300mb. besides, linux is less likely to have viruses than windows and looks good!

get a mac!
yeah, well, for the price you buy a macbook pro you can buy 2 o 3 nice laptops with ubuntu. period.[/b]

forge

Post by forge » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:40 pm

algarcia wrote:it would be really nice to have ableton on linux. ubuntu at least.

why?
but that's a total fallacy regarding professional audio and Linux - it's a nice fantasy but you have to take into account that there are so many different possible hardware combinations out there to make drivers for, that to be relying on the open source developers to get it running smoothly would be way too much headache for the average user who just wants to work - so for that reason I personally never see it moving beyond 'niche' which means it will never (or at least not for a long time) be in a developers commercial interests to put the time and resources into supporting it

think about how long it takes M-Audio to bring out driver updates now for just windows and OSX, for some of their most common interfaces when theres an OS update - usually in the region of 6 months, and then it's a beta

nah - there are still enough problems as it is with just 2 OS's IMO, the last thing we need is another to slow everybody down and increase their costs

Joel Merrick

Post by Joel Merrick » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:30 pm

Well, as much as I love linux, I doubt they'll be a linux port any time soon. The problem is having to create another baseline to code against that, in all honesty, wouldn't bring the financial benefit of compiling against windows and osx targets.

Maybe if there was a greater abstracted audio layer that was OS independent, then maybe, but the code's coupled too tightlly (in my uneducated guess anyway)

trash

Post by trash » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Tarekith wrote:Why do the less than 1% of people running Linux compared to other OS's always think that developers will seriously consider this? I definitely vote no, that would require a huge amount of resources for an insanely tiny segment of an already insanely tiny market.
dick. millions of musicians hate the corporate bullshit that comes with xp and osx (please dont mention the v word - thats just a joke...)
...and would dump it straight away...
theres just no decent audio distro that everyone can agree on...
its not all about money. hence the open source philosophy...
if ableton didnt release it open source though that would be gay...

trash

Post by trash » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:31 pm

cant believe how people think that its not financially viable...
linux is open source, its free as in free beer ahem and financial benefits should not be considered.... after all you are writing software over the top of a kernel designed for free by many people.. why would you want to make cash off it.... saying that my mate just made 55k off open source software....ahem.

pamplemousse_mk2

Post by pamplemousse_mk2 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:07 am

Hello,

I see that Linux can involve a lot of discussion here. OK, I vote "yes" because I'm a Linux user and it would be great to see a decent audio software running on it.

But a lot of users use also a lot of plugins, VST or AU. And these plugins don't run natively on Linux. Using Wine to run Windows VST is a bad idea in term of stability and latency.

So Live would be great, I mean "fun", on Linux but it would be alone and because of this, I will continue to use Live on Mac OS X. Sorry.

j2j

Post by j2j » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:59 pm

Bump
too many lasers...

reptar

Post by reptar » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:38 am

algarcia wrote:it would be really nice to have ableton on linux. ubuntu at least.

why?

we've got Mac!
yeah, you're right but the cheapest macbook is 1100 bucks, while a nice and cheap compaq is less than 500

get your compaq and run live on windows
NO! you need to clean up your windows installation, remove all vendors software and have at least 1gb ram for a half decent performance on vista, which comes preinstalled on all new computers. since windows is taking itself about half of the system resources i think ableton live will do better on linux.

think about it, windows itself uses around 600mb of ram out of 1gb, while ubuntu uses about 300mb. besides, linux is less likely to have viruses than windows and looks good!

get a mac!
yeah, well, for the price you buy a macbook pro you can buy 2 o 3 nice laptops with ubuntu. period.[/b]
This is especially relevant now Apple have dropped firewire from the MacBooks.

I have a Macbook (white coreduo), If Ableton put out a version of Live that ran on Linux that was as stable as it is on OSX I'd buy a new PC lappy and just run Live under Linux on it. What would be even better would be if Ableton could write their own audio-specific Linux distribution so I could just turn on the machine and have Live load up, not have any other programs running to potentially destabilise things.

autodidactic

Post by autodidactic » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:46 am

I'll throw in my two cents. Another poster already mentioned the idea of Ableton creating what amounts to their own "Ableton OS" distro of linux. I'd use linux in a heartbeat. I am not opposed to the idea at all. The problem I see is this. In order for Live to be useful on linux, all third parties need to be on board as well. Unless there is wide spread linux support for interfaces, plugins etc, I don't think it would be worth it for Ableton or the user base. If that support is there today (I don't check the state of linux regularly) then bring it.

NativeOps

Post by NativeOps » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:40 am

yeah, we're pretty much "eff'd".
If there was a team of programmers that could legally sell drivers for audio/midi interfaces in linux, it wouldn't be too hard for Ableton to get on board. People need to start pushing for it because this never ending battle with apple and microsoft is raping our wallets. Next thing ya'know, another 10 or 20 years has gone by, and everyones still bitching about it, and wishing for linux or some stable alternative to compete. As it stands, Apple forgot a very important feature (firewire) that is pretty much a deal breaker for me. So what other options do i have? Vista? It uses way too much system resources. I'm considering using linux and using a software sequencer just for midi to control all hardware samplers and tone generators/synths. Then I'll get a real mixer with some ADAT recorders. Forget the VST's and plugins. Fuck, I saw an old 4 track Otari that's looking pretty good these days. We're not moving forward here. WE'RE MOVING BACKWARDS. DOESN'T ANYONE NOTICE THAT MUSIC HAS GONE TO COMPLETE SHIT? IT'S BECAUSE EVERYONES BUSY CHASING THE TECH/CURVE IN A NAZI LIKE MARCH TOWARDS CONTROL AND ENDLESS UPGRADES JUST TO SOLVE COMPATIBILITY ISSUES.

WHY CAN'T THE MUSIC PRODUCTION AND PERFORMANCE INDUSTRY BREAK AWAY FROM MICROSOFT AND APPLE?

AAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Those who speak, don't know.
Those who know, don't speak.
http://nativeacoustics.com/

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:03 pm

+1 for linux+ableton marriage.

Fractal Dimension

Post by Fractal Dimension » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:18 pm

The customized Ableton Linux distro sounds good in theory, but making Live open-source is highly unlikely to happen. I'm developing mostly open-source software for a living, so yes, you can actually make money from it. But open-source fans need to understand, that it's just one of the countless possible business models a software company can pursue. I think this thread was a good idea to measure the demand for a Linux version, and I think the number of responses shows, that it's not worth the effort. If there was a lot more pressure on Ableton I'm sure they would consider it.

I read in this thread that someone was complaining that his MacBook is down and he now uses Ubuntu, but can't run Live on it. Well, I might dig out my old Commodore64 from the closet and complain that I can't use Live on it, even though I'm a paying customer. However, did Ableton ever say that it's going to work on anything else than the officially supported operating systems? No. By buying the license you agreed to that. If you don't like it, you can sell the license (I think Ableton allows that, correct me if I'm wrong) and move to energyXT, which supports Linux out of the box. Or just face the fact, that for countless users around the world Windows XP works just fine for audio-related work. I switched to Mac OS X, and it's not that much better.

snakepimp

Yeah Yeah

Post by snakepimp » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:43 pm

Okay, I just signed in to this forum to make what I think is my first post to say; "please please please make a Linux Port!" I'd pay a premium for it. Screw Apple and MS equally. I am sick of the childish market manipulation and intentional incompatibility from both of them. I have been ripped off by both of them, I have been denied support for no good reason by both of them. PLEASE, IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THE WORLD: GIVE US COMMERCIAL AUDIO APPS FOR LINUX NOW!

I know my words carry little-to-no weight in the grand scheme of things, but I had to say it. Sorry to bump this old dog of a thread, but I feel passionately, Ableton should lead this charge, I believe in this software. Just need Reason and Live for Linux and I'd be set.
but seriously,
~snakepimp