How much reverb do you use?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:53 pm

nebulae wrote:^ won't work - the only instruments that can go in front of a synth instrument are the midi plugs in Live.
Well then does some company make a MIDI reverb that can go in front?
I taste nice.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:54 pm

nebulae wrote:^ won't work - the only instruments that can go in front of a synth instrument are the midi plugs in Live.
n00b, he meant a midi reverb :roll:

Arturia makes a great midi reverb, IMO the one that comes with Live isn't very warm and lacks 3rd order harmonics in the plate design.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Dude??

A reverb is a "space". The space, by itself does not make a noize. It reflects a noize.

"If a tree fell in the woods........."
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:56 pm

I like to put the reverb between the mouse and the computer....that way I get reverb in my Excel documents too.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Dude??

A reverb is a "space". The space, by itself does not make a noize. It reflects a noize.

"If a tree fell in the woods........."
When I (and Chuck Norris) clap with 1 hand, it does indeed make a noise.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:57 pm

dust.
wind.
dude.

8O
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:58 pm

ChiDJ wrote: "If a tree fell in the woods........."
I'd put some reverb on it, or maybe before the tree falls.
I taste nice.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Mr. Sprocket is onto something, lost as he is. Has anybody made an impulse response of a 'tree falling in the woods' for convolution reverbs? That would be pretty great.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Tone Deft wrote:dust.
wind.
dude.

8O
Toney,???

Dust is not a space. Wind is not a space. But you're definitely "spaced".

Please send me an mp3 of "dust" ASAP. I will feature it on my new techno track and split with you 50/50. Cool?

Thanks in advance.

T-
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:10 pm

sparklepuff wrote:Mr. Sprocket is onto something, lost as he is. Has anybody made an impulse response of a 'tree falling in the woods' for convolution reverbs? That would be pretty great.
I recently made an FM bass patch in Operator that has a distinctly "woody" tone...does that count?

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Oh hey Grappadura, thanks, but there's no magic going on here. Other than picking the right space for your track I'd say the best advice I could give would be to back off on the sends, as stated by myself and others above. In most situations you want it to be subtle, almost transparent.

I'm using Altiverb for reverb. I like all kinds of spaces depending on the track, but most often I'd go for a plate, a small room or a recording room from a studio. Some of the outdoor ones are very nice, and of course when you want to go big the churches and cathedrals kill.
Grappadura wrote:
polyslax wrote:A lot of good points stated above. I normally only use a single instance of reverb as a send/return effect, adjusting send levels to alter the depth position of individual tracks/instruments. Using one setting or IR like this also brings the elusive glue that puts all your tracks/instruments in a single space. The old rule of thumb that you bring up the send on a track until you notice the space, then back it off a bit works well. Even in a mix where you don't want obvious reverb or a big space, a tight ambience of say .5 to 1.5 seconds can work wonders to make everything gel.

If I use any reverb on bass or kick drum it would be just a touch.

Remember if you're using reverb as a send/return effect the reverb wet/dry mix should be set to 100% wet, whereas when you use it as an insert effect wet/dry should be perhaps around 50% wet.
I´ve listened to your songs and noticed that you are a master of reverberation ;) , I actually wondered if you were going to post about it. Could you tell me what reverb and what settings do you normally use?
Image Image

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:17 pm

polyslax wrote: I'm using Altiverb for reverb. I like all kinds of spaces depending on the track, but most often I'd go for a plate, a small room or a recording room from a studio. Some of the outdoor ones are very nice, and of course when you want to go big the churches and cathedrals kill.
What kind of reverb do you use for general ambiance? Would you ever want to use a plate for this?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Samples of the kick drum we recorded up there. How do you like it?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5259935800287947/

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:28 pm

Very cool - definitely worth the walk up there! What effects did you use on the sample?

Enrique

Post by Enrique » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Awesome! But is that the same sample you showed me last time?