Get ready for more Sasha threads

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Padraig

Get ready for more Sasha threads

Post by Padraig » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:56 am

He's unveiling his new custom MIDI controller on Friday 3rd Dec.

Saturday 4th Dec should see a load of threads on here asking "so how do you use Live to DJ"?

taken from Rhythmism.com...

"From 1996 until 2001, DJs SASHA and John Digweed played a monthly residency at the legendary Manhattan nightclub Twilo which gave birth to a unique, unparalleled movement in dance music culture. This winter, the magic returns to clubdom as SASHA will take to the decks at New York City’s most progressive, exciting, entertaining, creative and techno-savy nightclub crobar for his brand new party, FUNDACION. Beginning with the announcement party on Friday, December 3 and every first Friday of the month thereafter--January 7 (opening party), February 4, March 4, April 1, May 6 and June 3 (closing party)--SASHA will bring himself, his music and his strong global fan base from around the world to dance to his hypnotic, high-energy sets on the 3000-plus capacity superclub capacity dance floor.

Not only will SASHA’s residency reacquaint the New York club audienc
e with his music, FUNDACION--which means foundation in Spanish--will serve as the introduction of an entirely new DJ technology. SASHA will play his trademark power-packed, emotional sets on a new custom-made controller created specifically for his Ableton Live set-up. Creating a live 100% digital experience, Sasha will be leaving turntables behind. The new controller will allow SASHA to not only to exhibit his stellar track selection and mixing skills, but to literally produce and remix music live. With the ability to sample, loop, and fuse elements from multiple songs at once through digital technology, SASHA will truly be revolutionizing the live DJ performance.

“I’m building a custom controller because I think the idea of DJing with a mouse isn’t very cool. Everything on the screen can be manipulated with this controller.” SASHA told LA City Beat (June 24-30, 2004). “The accessibility has taken some of the mystery away from DJing,” he continues. “I used to come to America and play for people; there was no way they could get those records, and so there was a uniqueness to my sound. Now it’s everywhere, but that pushes it to another level. The technology will move things forward and enable you to give unique performances every time you play. A set of Technics turntables and a mixer is not enough now. It’s time to move on.”

SASHA’s ability to unleash magic through music will only be enhanced by crobar’s Phazon sound system, arguably the best in the world. crobar is at the epicenter of the burgeoning Chelsea nightlife area, and its incredible, over-the-top design dazzles club-goers aesthetically while offering them a full audio-sensory experience. With a creative energy buzzing in the air; a positive and friendly staff; atomic laser light shows that astound and amaze; and room for upwards of 3000 patrons, FUNDACION is certain to go down in history as the next great legend in dance music."
IBM T40 ThinkPad: 1.5Gz Pentium M, 1Gb RAM. Hitachi External Hard Drive: 120 GB, USB 2.0, 7200 RPM. M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. Ableton Live 3.

drush

Post by drush » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:22 pm

"...which gave birth to a unique, unparalleled movement in dance music culture."

LOL.

bencodec

Re: Get ready for more Sasha threads

Post by bencodec » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:38 pm

Padraig wrote:With the ability to sample, loop, and fuse elements from multiple songs at once through digital technology, SASHA will truly be revolutionizing the live DJ performance.

“I’m building a custom controller because I think the idea of DJing with a mouse isn’t very cool. Everything on the screen can be manipulated with this controller.” SASHA told LA City Beat (June 24-30, 2004). “The accessibility has taken some of the mystery away from DJing,” he continues. “I used to come to America and play for people; there was no way they could get those records, and so there was a uniqueness to my sound. Now it’s everywhere, but that pushes it to another level. The technology will move things forward and enable you to give unique performances every time you play. A set of Technics turntables and a mixer is not enough now. It’s time to move on.”
wow, SASHA is so cutting edge! it's like he just figured out what people like richie hawton and surgeon have been saying for years now.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:43 pm

as much as i believe that superstar dj's represent everything that's wrong with music today, i'm happy that the abe's are getting so much press.

k

drush

Post by drush » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:43 pm

bencodec wrote:wow, SASHA is so cutting edge! it's like he just figured out what people like richie hawton and surgeon have been saying for years now.
thanks, i was trying not to say that ;)

and re the abes getting press - totally. i mean.. whatever, sasha wouldn't be my choice for poster boy but if it benefits Live, great.

special ed

Post by special ed » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:29 pm

fuck sasha. fuck the posuers. "i can put some loops together and make someone else's work sound like my own" big fucking deal. i hate the whole superstar dj thing. it makes no sense, they cant even play instruments, whether guitar, vocals or a turntable for that matter. ok, im being cruel, i know, i just think that the whole mega dj thing is ruining electronic music. there are too many talented unknown producers and some dj that would not be shite if it were not for those types of producers, is hailed as an innovator? something is wrong here. why dont we just say sasha, oakenfold, and fatass slim invented music.

drush

Post by drush » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:34 pm

there are a lot of djs out there who deserve the credit you're rightly saying these guys don't. it's just that they spend their time working rather than promoting themselves.

and there's even a few who deserve that kind of credit and have a largeish media presence. but that's a rarity. thankfully so.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:41 pm

its a bit much - any takers on this mystery piece of kit being marketed on the high street for lets say 1000GBP upwards. just think how big the cut will be: designer, tester and sponsor! like taking candy from a baby.

special ed

Post by special ed » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:46 pm

yes, i agree that there are some djs out there that deserve some credit, but sasha is not one of them, and really none of the "superstar" djs.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:49 pm

as for the mega dj thing its all a bit over the top now. if you think how many djs have broken through in the last 1-2 years you can count them on one hand. what really pisses me off is how fuckin shite the christmas and new year parties are in the uk now australia is on the scene. you wont see one of these mega djs on these freezing shores. they will be down under or in the states giving interviews on how they like to give something back to 'the scene' sorry went on one there a little.

sqook

Post by sqook » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:22 pm

special ed wrote:yes, i agree that there are some djs out there that deserve some credit, but sasha is not one of them, and really none of the "superstar" djs.
what about superstardjkeoki?! =P

DISUYE

Post by DISUYE » Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:27 pm

Hold fire guys - Sasha (or the club's) PR team most likely wrote that "innovation" hype, plus I don't remember Sasha mentioning that he invented the idea of using a laptop.

Regardless of what you think of his music - just be glad someone with his profile has chosen the benefits of this technology over vinyl; that alone will certainly make our job much easier when when walking into a club with a Powerbook. There is still a lot of hostility / comedy towards people using Live and other such programs and it'll be a good few years before they are common place.

As for the combined controller - looking forward to seeing it. His tour engineer will no doubt be happy with a few less bags to keep track of.

Dan

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:06 pm

I think that night club DJs do something that is valid and needed. They keep a party going. However, I think that nightclub DJ culture has endangered dance music as a whole by overshadowing the people who actually produce the music. Now, i know that some of these guys make their own tracks as well, but they still don't play *only* their own tracks. What about the producers? Do they get flown all over the world and make shitloads of money? I don't think so. One of my freinds and coworkers has a record that is on John Digweed's top ten records list and Digweed plays it out alot. I'm not into that style of music, but i wonder why my friend hasn't seen a penny for it. At least he gets some exposure by being on that list, but i doubt it really does that much. I guess he'll see some cash if it gets on a mix cd, but most of that money will end up with my friends label, not him, so what the fuck?

oh, and how is it any different if they use ableton live or any other piece of software to mix other peoples music? So what?

-m

(notice i said nightclub DJs over and over again. That's cause i think that some DJs are actually using the turntables as instruments and deserve all the credit and money they get for what they do. But y'know what? I'll bet that Sasha and Digweed are worth more than any battle DJ out there.)
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

epilacs

Post by epilacs » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:59 am

mmmm

more trance

supster

Post by supster » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:14 am

special ed wrote:... i just think that the whole mega dj thing is ruining electronic music. there are too many talented unknown producers and some dj that would not be shite if it were not for those types of producers, is hailed as an innovator? something is wrong here. why dont we just say sasha, oakenfold, and fatass slim invented music.
Sure. Remember:

- Most producers would not be shite without superstar dj's to play thier tracks. Truly. Your stuff would not be heard on any kind of wide enough basis to make any difference without them

- Most superstar dj's are also producers, and partly became famous because of thier studio work. Rarely ever for just playing live.

- Just because someone is famous, doesnt mean you should slag them or hate on them. They might or might not be freeloaders, users, talented in the studio or not, assholes or not, ... whatever.

Hating on them and sarcastically cutting on someone just because they are in the spotlight makes you sound jealous :) Really. Or just jumping on a bandwagon because its not cool to like someones art because they have popularity.

A little objectivity is a good thing ..

(electronic music would be shite in the US without Sasha and Digweed coming here in the mid 90s. Or rather, it defitely would not be the same ... )