remote zero and ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
i_fly

remote zero and ableton

Post by i_fly » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Does anyone know how to disable the automap so I can set up my own template. the remote zero keeps switching back to the ableton automap template. I have changed the midi in and out in ableton to 1.(2 is reserved for automap) But it still switches back but with no control.

spaceribbon

same question @ same time!

Post by spaceribbon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 am

But I purchased the Novation Nocturn. I own another controller, Remote SL 49. The automap ruined my entire setup. i had to reinstall and as it conflicted with other 3rd party programs such as Arturia. I think I am going to return this Nocturn and only use non-software dependent midi controllers, such as M-Audio X-session which works fine.
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz/4gb Ram. RME FireFace 400, Novation SL Remote 49, M-Audio X-session Pro, Arturia Analog Factory.

i_fly

Post by i_fly » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:49 pm

have heard of this happening to other people. The automap works fine on my set up but now I want to create a new standard template using midi learn. I installed a midi learn template to template #2. (this worked fine with Traktor) But with ableton the remote zero keeps switching back to template 40 which is the automap. I am able to assign a parameter but then it switches back. I have changed the ports I am using and it still does it. Still want to keep the automap because it comes in handy. I just want to have a standard template as well.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:36 pm

This issue is probably the single most annoying issue I've come across with the SL range. Assigning midi controls in standard template forces it back to template 40 when you exit live's midi learn. It's stupid. I've bitched about it, other people have bitched about. I suggest bitchcing to ableton about it as well. Write a support request or bugs 'n problems forum or whatever.

Anyways, you can try disabling your SL under control surfaces in preferences and just having port 1 enabled under "remote" in the midi section. The control surfaces section is responsible for the automapping in the ableton template.

Also, if you don't want to disengage it that way, maybe assign a button to the template you want, so that when it reverts to template 40 after coming out of midi learn, just push the button again to go back to your manual template.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:12 pm

another idea is to save template forty to another place, like template one or something, and edit the existing 40 template. I'm not TOTALLY sure what would happen, but maybe the novation would just chill on temp 40, and you'd have an extra copy of the template if you ever wanted to use it.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

djEric

Post by djEric » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:40 am

Here's how I got around it, though I'm not pleased in doing so. I wrote over template 40 w/ one of the others, like Live 1. That way it simply cannot default to something else.

i_fly

Post by i_fly » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks all

That really sucks that you have to erase the template all together! It is kind of nice when you just want to play around and explore new things and not worry about programing the midi. But there is no use for it if you say want to play live! I hate when companies don't think through their shit fully before releasing it.

Thanks again for the fix guys.

i_fly

Post by i_fly » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:32 pm

Ok!! I figured it out! In order to us the zero sl in standard template mode you must make sure that the output in Ableton settings is set to "none" Thats the 3rd colum.
Then down below that in the port settings make sure its set to "on" port 1 for track and remote. It seems to be working fine for me

misteron

Post by misteron » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:53 am

Is it possible tojust uninstall automap or kill the process and just use nocturn as a sender of MIDI?
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:19 am

misteron wrote:Is it possible tojust uninstall automap or kill the process and just use nocturn as a sender of MIDI?
nocturn uses the automap server to send regular midi, which you should actually be amped about because its a kick ass MIDI system that lets you configure every channel to your custom needs (including my all time favorite and most needed feature, changing the buttosns to "holds" instead of "toggles"). I've gone into detail about setting it before, but the gist of it is that you have to enable midi in/remote on the automap midi in your live MIDI preferences (NOT control surfaces, just the "automap midi" like any normal midi driver). Then you right click your automap server icon, select the automap midi on your midi output port drop list, and then check off all the channels you want enable under the MIDI channels droplist. It will create automap templates of a regular MIDI device that you can edit using the HUD, and you can switch between the midi channels by hitting the "user" button on your nocturn and then tapping the corresponding nob from the automap 2.0 HUD. I make it sound complicated but its actually pretty easy and its probably one of the most useful features of both my nocturn and my SL.

BTW, +1 and a boo on the abes for making my SL switch back to template 40 whenever I assign MIDI controls. Not cool. Dont blame novation though, its not their fault. They find it annoying too.

misteron

Post by misteron » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:30 am

Thanks.
Sorry to OP for the slight hijack, just re-noticed that the thread was started about Remote SL.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A