HOW TO GET BOOKED AS A DJ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aleme

HOW TO GET BOOKED AS A DJ?

Post by aleme » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:53 pm

How to get in touch with a dj booking agency? Do they want demos? What can I expect from booking agencies? Does anyone have experiences in that field? Can you recommend some good and fair booking agencies? By the way, I am playing Tech House Techno House & Deep House.

Thanks!

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Never had any dealings with booking agencies, but here's my 2c...

In my experience an "easy" route in is to get friendly with some local promoters and DJs who deal with the same sort of music as you and try to get some local gigs, then maybe a residency somewhere.

Play as many gigs as you can, even when this means playing for nothing. Play some free parties as well.

Make sure people know who you are, maybe give away some mix cds at your gigs (this'll cost you next to nothing, but it'll get you "out there").

Perhaps most importantly, play music people love and music YOU love, but try not to be the same as every other DJ in your genre - be original, stand out.

You'll definitely need a good demo mix or three, whether it's for local promoters or an agency - also good for giving away at gigs.

Good luck :)
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

minimal

Post by minimal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:16 pm

really important once you get gigs is that you have CDs to give away, it's a really nice way to promote yourself and empty CDs and some sticker to make them look serious are dead cheap nowadays

play for free a lot but not too much if not you'll become "the guy who comes for 2 beers"

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:20 pm

Stop being a dj.

misteron

Post by misteron » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm listening intently, this is good advice
I never would have thought of CDs.
Thank OP and you other guys.
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:38 pm

1) by not writing to them in caps

2) no agency will wanna touch u unless u got a decent roster of gigs in reputable places already

u gotta go to clubs, hang out, show ur face, meet promoters and get bookings direct

aleme

Post by aleme » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:43 pm

sweetjesus wrote:1) by not writing to them in caps
:?:

thanks for the tips, mates. i´ll continue with lower case letters now. :lol:

minimal

Post by minimal » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:49 pm

needless to say a well done release is the key to international bookings if not there is the real risk to be the hero in your homtown only, which brings not that much compared to international exposure.
After a well made release quite everyone begins to tour as DJ quite everywhere.

DJ Etain

Post by DJ Etain » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:53 pm

No reputable agency will sign a DJ unless he/she has some releases on a major record label. Sending mix CD's is not the way anymore. Its' all about production and being signed with a label. While this may be frustrating to the average DJ, it ups the ante and ensures that people who are being booked as DJ's are being booked for the music they create, as opposed to just playing other people's music. Harder in the long run, but more worth it.

E

aleme

Post by aleme » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:06 pm

DJ Etain wrote:No reputable agency will sign a DJ unless he/she has some releases on a major record label. Sending mix CD's is not the way anymore. Its' all about production and being signed with a label. While this may be frustrating to the average DJ, it ups the ante and ensures that people who are being booked as DJ's are being booked for the music they create, as opposed to just playing other people's music. Harder in the long run, but more worth it.

E
Last edited by aleme on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aleme

Post by aleme » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:07 pm

aleme wrote:
DJ Etain wrote:No reputable agency will sign a DJ unless he/she has some releases on a major record label. Sending mix CD's is not the way anymore. Its' all about production and being signed with a label. While this may be frustrating to the average DJ, it ups the ante and ensures that people who are being booked as DJ's are being booked for the music they create, as opposed to just playing other people's music. Harder in the long run, but more worth it.

E
i was already thinking about that earlier.

maybe my thread title should signify "HOW TO GET SIGNED ON A RECORD LABEL". What do you mean by record major label? isn´t an indie label enough?

how to send a demo of my tracks to the labels? will they listen to it? any tips? what should I keep in mind? how can I make them listen to the demo? imho the labels get so many demos they can´t listen to all the stuff being sent to them. am I wrong here?

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Take a few of your best tracks (not too many, but enough so they know you are consistent) and get them mastered - you don't have to spend a lot on mastering (e.g. Tarekith offers mastering for $30 I believe) - don't be tempted to this part yourself unless you really know what you're doing. Stick them on a CD - I would print or at least label the CD and make a nice cover - you want the record label to notice it and want to listen. Make sure the first track on there is killer - you don't want them to get 30 seconds in then bin it before listening to the killer track which is second! Really, they should all be killer, though!
Make sure you send it to the right labels - do some research and find labels that actually release the kind of music you make - then send it to the A&R dept. You can find contact details for most record labels online.
Be prepared never to hear from a lot of them.

Again, good luck.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

vicz

Oldie

Post by vicz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:18 pm

E
Hmm that's what thought a DJ does ....

:wink:

DJ Etain

Post by DJ Etain » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:20 pm

Well those are good questions, and I will try and answer as best I can based on my experience.

Promoters generally try and book talent that is widely known, so unless you know the promoter personally, chances are that you'll get booked based on the music you've released. As there are thousands of indie labels out there, the chances of your music being heard and you gaining recognition on on an indie label is pretty small. With a bigger label you get press, and the chance to be associated with other artists who are already on the label, maybe get to travel, open up for them, etc. That's usually how it goes.

As far as submitting your music to labels, firstly find out what format they want the music in (wav file or DVD), try and make some contact with them beforehand. They receive literally thousands of demos from people, so if you can get them on e-mail or phone prior to sending stuff, the more likely they are to remember you. And of course it goes without saying that you should always find out whether the labels you are sending music to actually release your style of music.

Last but not least, if you are going to send a DVD and bio, send some nice artwork and graphics, with your logo and some professional pictures of yourself, as you have to market yourself well to get noticed.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

E

DJ Etain

Post by DJ Etain » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:30 pm

Of course there is nothing wrong with releasing music on indie labels as you have to start somewhere, so as an addendum to my previous reply, I would suggest starting small and working upwards ;)