Favorite artists using live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rabblebasics

Favorite artists using live?

Post by rabblebasics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:03 pm

well since the only reason I use live is due to the fact that some of my favorite artists were using live in a live-environment so it became clear that if I ever wanted to be even half as good as them, I would have to use the same software as them.

anyways, who are some of your favorite artists using live as a key live component to their show/performance?

for me:
-Sound Tribe Sector 9 (sts9) - these guys hands down take the cake for me, saw them live once and was completely overwhelmed, ive seen them two more times since and they are just the definition of cool.

-Telefon Tel Aviv - chill group, these dudes are straight up chill, its like a sexy electronic glitch downtempo, interesting stuff fo sho

-Daft Punk - havent seen them yet, but they make dj's look cool

-The Rapture - one of the most stylish bands out there, cool stuff, not sure how much they use live, but I know they do for some of their tracks

-Eliot Lipp - one of my favorite artists at the moment, sorta a cross between hip-hop and electro using old school vintage synth sounds

-Papadosio - doubt anyone has heard of these young kats, just starting to make a name for themselves, but ableton is the reason these guys pull off their studio sound live, check out the website or myspace if you wanna hear a electronic jam band

-lots of trance/dance dj's - not really gunna list these cause there is just too many

anyways, post some of your favs with a little info about why you like them or a little info on their live setups

CHARLIE!

Post by CHARLIE! » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:06 pm

Daft punk are not djs...

Ill add Hot chip to that list.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:11 pm

Isn't it pretty safe to say that just about every electronica act uses Live for their live performances, if not in the studio?

rabblebasics

Post by rabblebasics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:17 pm

CHARLIE! wrote:Daft punk are not djs...

Ill add Hot chip to that list.
i never said they were djs...

theyre artists, but they play their live show as if they were dj's, just not using the typical dj setup. there not sitting there with their guitars opening 'aerodynamic' when they play live

there just inspiring, they could very well spin their music like any other dj does, but they make it cool and were seeing all the new groups/artists follow dafts route rather than a dj route (as in they are playing pre-recorded arrangements but leaving room for improv)

dontask100

Post by dontask100 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:19 pm

Bassnectar!

rabblebasics

Post by rabblebasics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:26 pm

dontask100 wrote:Bassnectar!
dudes crazy, he has some really cool stuff and i hear his live show is pretty nuts. i think he needs to lay off on the whole government conspiracy bullshit, just kinda ruins the music sometimes

i like 'impossible and overwhelming', no lyrics and just really cool sounds

LouisC

Re: Favorite artists using live?

Post by LouisC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:27 pm

rabblebasics wrote:so it became clear that if I ever wanted to be even half as good as them, I would have to use the same software as them.
why do so many people think like this?
i'd rather use a 4-track tape recorder, cause my musical ideas would be the same :)

rabblebasics

Re: Favorite artists using live?

Post by rabblebasics » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 pm

LouisC wrote:
rabblebasics wrote:so it became clear that if I ever wanted to be even half as good as them, I would have to use the same software as them.
why do so many people think like this?
i'd rather use a 4-track tape recorder, cause my musical ideas would be the same :)
im not saying i need ableton, i just realized that it wouldn't hurt to be well versed in music technology, the proper technology.

if i had it my way id just have a bunch of crazy synths with pedals/effects/delays along with my guitar, but it doesnt hurt to have a laptop up there with you that allows your to expand your sound beyond anything imaginable

the typical person has no fucking clue about anything electronic

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:05 pm

Sasha
Digweed
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

twitterytom

Post by twitterytom » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:17 pm

Optimo

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 pm

NIN~!

I don't care if Trent is not a DJ
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:21 am

dontask100 wrote:Bassnectar!
+ a whole bunch :)

peterneo

Post by peterneo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:48 am

Radiohead
Flying Lotus

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:53 am

Skinny Puppy!!! cevin key is a huge ableton fan. and you can hear it in the recent SP albums.......awesome stuff.
-M.

abort

Post by abort » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:56 am

mholloway wrote:Skinny Puppy!!! cevin key is a huge ableton fan. and you can hear it in the recent SP albums.......awesome stuff.
-M.
Hey! I did not know that! That's really great to hear.