Live starts to glitch after roughly an hour of playback

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
radder

Re: ASIO4All

Post by radder » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:26 pm

Anonymous wrote:
radder wrote: It seemed to work. But for whatever reason the random overloads are back and I'm back to stressing out over them. GRRRRR :evil:
have you ordered a real soundcard yet--get on it if not.
I'm not the guy with the laptop or the guy with the internal sound card. I am on a desktop PC with an Echo Mia :)
myspace.com/raddermusic || soundcloud.com/a-radder || Thinkpad R61 / 3GB RAM / Echo Audiofire 4

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:49 pm

Well, the Indigo finally came in and now I have troubles with that! Audio playback is terrible using the ASIO drivers, slowed down and sounds downsampled almost, digitally distorted. The DX drivers are better, but only at very high latencies. Still awaiting Echo tech support help on this one.

Life was easier before computers ;)

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:17 am

Anonymous wrote:Well, the Indigo finally came in and now I have troubles with that! Audio playback is terrible using the ASIO drivers, slowed down and sounds downsampled almost, digitally distorted. The DX drivers are better, but only at very high latencies. Still awaiting Echo tech support help on this one.

Life was easier before computers ;)
There's NOTHING wrong with using Echo's ASIO drivers - in fact they're preferred to DX drivers in all cases.

The distortion may be happening due to the default setting for the ASIO buffer size for the ASIO drivers - maybe they're set too small thus giving your computer less time to compute the DSP processing. Typically a buffer setting of 256samples is a good starting bet. This can be modified in the Audio page of preferences in Ableton.

Also has your Windows XP installation been tuned for Music use ?
If not head to http://www.musicxp.net and check out the Tuning Tips page

Cheers

jASeFOs
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:26 pm

This was fixed when i contacted Echo and they supplied me with a tuning utility for the ENE drivers used by my laptop's Cardbus slot. Contact them and this should fix your problem.

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:13 am

Interesting.
ENE drivers ?

Was this utility specially for your family/brand of laptop or is it a generic utility ?

Master rEalm would you mind explaining a little further if you can spare the time? (just curious for future reference)

Cheers!
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:16 pm

ENE is the manufacturer of many of the PCMCIA slots used in laptops today, it's not just my brand of laptop (HP). Echo started getting a lot of calls from people buying their Indigo cards having the issues mentioned above, and eventually traced the problem to a driver setting called "prefetch" specific to these brand of PCMCIA card slots. Unfortunately, there's no way to disable this normally, so they wrote a small utility that lets you do it after you install the card. Just contact Echo and they'll be more than happy to send you the utility. Or you can email me and I'll send it to you too, very small file.

4am

Post by 4am » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:27 am

Anonymous wrote:yeah, the new soundcard should fix the problem. on board pc laptop cards blow hard, and HP ones are on the suckier end of the spectrum.
i have also the same problem with my hlp laptop and a m-audio soundcard.
i can confirm that hp systems suck
and m-audio interfaces are a nightmare

the service provided by m-audio and hp sucks also

next time i will avoid the products of this two companies

good marketing but shitty products!

djjoso

I having lots of sound glitches with Live 4.04

Post by djjoso » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:26 pm

Played a gig on Saturday, just previewing clips and Lives cpu meter will spike from 1% to 60% causing the audio the glitch. Also stutter problem w/ automation on a scene came out of no where. I had to fix and the fly. Before the gig, I restored my computer and xp opimized my system in 2 hours, cutting close before the gig.

djjoso

I having lots of sound glitches with Live 4.04

Post by djjoso » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:28 pm

Played a gig on Saturday, just previewing clips and Lives cpu meter will spike from 1% to 60% causing the audio the glitch. Also stutter problem w/ automation on a scene came out of no where. I had to fix and the fly. Before the gig, I restored my computer and xp opimized my system in 2 hours, cutting close before the gig.

loren!

Post by loren! » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:01 am

I Have the same problem!
BUT! I know that it isnt the sound card.
I was runing live on a home made desktop and it worked realy well. I used the soundcard built into the computer untilI started geting the same glitchs in the audio. Now, i just got a brand new fujitsu n series life book laptop, portable soundcard, (Creative Extigy.) and an internal/external drive converter. First thing i did with this new stuff was instal and use live 4. I GOT THE SAME PROBLEM! little glitches in the audio after 30min or so! I'm shure its not the soundcard or computer because I can run other music for hours with no problem.
One thought is that it may be latensy or the drive. I've tried adjusting all the latency with no good result. I dont know how to test the drive. My guess is that it's some setting in live.

Anyone else found the same results?
Thanks.

miscreat

Post by miscreat » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:56 pm

i have same problem, even thoughcpu usage is minimal. usually if i use for abou 30-60 mins and goaway and come back. if windows has locked the screen then when i unlock it and start using ableton again it usually happens.

sometimes happens just if i use it a lot, in particular if opening and closing a lot of projects.

it looks to me like (?) a memory leak or similar from the symptoms, shutting down and opening back up fixes it anyway.

tch

Post by tch » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:04 pm

sorry to hear that the windows users are having the same problem.
What a nightmare.
I went to my pcmcia soundcard but before that
oh man oh man.

just wishing you guys good luck.
and hoping this HIGH=TECH whoknowswho problem go away
in the near future.