Korg Nanopad - beware!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sunrahrahrah

Korg Nanopad - beware!

Post by sunrahrahrah » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:03 am

Just a heads up, this is not a smaller Padkontrol.

The pads are smaller and feel harder. But most importantly they are just not as sensitive. I had a really hard time doing two finger stuff that was easy on the padkontrol. You have to bang it to get sound, even with different velocity curve settings. The overall feel reminds me more of the m-audio pads, although they aren't that bad - for instance they don't have the 'hit the pad in the middle' problem that the m-audio set does.

On top of that one of the pads is only firing off intermittently.

I bought this to replace the padkontrol but I'm not impressed and its going back. YMMV.

NapalmBob

Post by NapalmBob » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:55 am

On the other hand, the nanoKontrol is absolutley perfect for controlling Live's mixer, the sliders are expectedly short, but everything is smooth and all the buttons light up (and its made with a surprising amount of quality).

Highly recommended. Especially since the six transport buttons can send either MMC (mackie control) messages or MIDI CC, and each button, including the 18 little ones) can have an attack and release time set.

US$80 well spent.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:47 am

No lights either. 8O was all set to order a bunch of them and set em up monome-ie style...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:53 am

does the NanoPad have the lights going? I haven't seen any demos with lights at all?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:56 am

Machinate wrote:does the NanoPad have the lights going? I haven't seen any demos with lights at all?
No lights :cry:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:01 am

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote:
Machinate wrote:does the NanoPad have the lights going? I haven't seen any demos with lights at all?
No lights :cry:
Bloody feck :-( Aight, NEXT! :-(

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:17 pm

My gf got me one for hexmas & it's sitting right b=next to my pk.

It's an incredible value for $59, and I think the pads are better than the ones on my Axiom, which are better than the pads on the TF.

Plus there's a nice XY pad.

Overall, I think it's PFS!

8)
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:30 pm

BTW - The pads are more stiff, and I think you might get better results by changing the curve with the editor. They still do have the nice square sensor feel as opposed to the circle in the middle kind.

Also, 1 feature on the PK, the XY has a 3rd CC# assignment for touch...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:00 pm

These controllers CANNOT be faulted! £59! C'mon people - £59!

stutter

Post by stutter » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:08 pm

I bought my pK on ebay for £60. Ebay prices make super-cheap midi controllers seems a bit rubbish. I was going to buy three until I found out there are no lights. Nevermind

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:29 pm

yeh, I would have gotten 4 or something if it had lights... I guess this explains the black version ;)

I still may get just one, for live stuff.

ava

Post by ava » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:48 pm

a complete let down by korg. i purchased the nano kontrol and the lights on the buttons dont work like you would like it to with ableton. Also the buttons have no memory between bank changes too.

Funny thing is it does come with midi-in but thats only used to program the thing. Think they cut a corner before release. Shame really because i was set on buying 10 of them.

Some are saying what do you expect for the price? you can buy 2 dvd players for the same price, thats a lot of electronics!

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I went out and sold it to a shop called "cash Converters" they only gave me £10 for it lol

NapalmBob

Post by NapalmBob » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:51 pm

ava wrote:a complete let down by korg. i purchased the nano kontrol and the lights on the buttons dont work like you would like it to with ableton. Also the buttons have no memory between bank changes too.

Funny thing is it does come with midi-in but thats only used to program the thing. Think they cut a corner before release. Shame really because i was set on buying 10 of them.

Some are saying what do you expect for the price? you can buy 2 dvd players for the same price, thats a lot of electronics!

I went out and sold it to a shop called "cash Converters" they only gave me £10 for it lol
Here in Oz Cash Converters they have to pay 1/2 retail or 2/3rds whatever they reckon they can sell it for. £10 is a ripoff.

Also, I really only use Scene 1 for mixing and Scene 2 for controlling the monster FX Rack on Send A.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:09 pm

ava wrote:a complete let down by korg. i purchased the nano kontrol and the lights on the buttons dont work like you would like it to with ableton. Also the buttons have no memory between bank changes too.

Id happily pay more to get some light feedback ala padkontrol. plan was to get a bunch and make some crazy step seqs out of em...Too bad...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:15 pm

mike, ava is talking about the nano kontrol, the one with the buttons (with lights) faders and knobs.

I think it's possible to do some really cool things with the Nano Kontrol, using it for step sequencers would be ill.