Korg Nanopad - beware!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Machinate wrote:mike, ava is talking about the nano kontrol, the one with the buttons (with lights) faders and knobs.

I think it's possible to do some really cool things with the Nano Kontrol, using it for step sequencers would be ill.
erps. :oops:
as you can see im pretty upset about this lighting stuff:D

anyway, it seems like there's really a demand for this kind of stuff, holding memory tween banks, step seqs...advanced knob and button styles. Korg definately has the tech to implement this stuff - sure it would drive the price up a bit but seems like it would be worth it as the only other decent options you have out there are Lemur, Monome- also, i dont think the remote sl stuff is really comparable here.

still think im gonna grab the nano keyboard one... just for Lucifer vst...

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Hate this series. So super cheap and plasticky. Borrowed them from my retailer to try out. Returned them all within the day!

stutter

Post by stutter » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:03 pm

would be interesting if novation did bring out a pad controller, although I'm not sure I can see it happening - doesn't really fit with the direction of their recent development.
Machinate wrote:yeh, I would have gotten 4 or something if it had lights... I guess this explains the black version ;)
black version? you're just teasing aren't you. OT, but what happened with the Arduino, I'm sure there was some noise on your site about it?

SMonk

Post by SMonk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:18 pm

stutter wrote:would be interesting if novation did bring out a pad controller, although I'm not sure I can see it happening - doesn't really fit with the direction of their recent development.
Machinate wrote:yeh, I would have gotten 4 or something if it had lights... I guess this explains the black version ;)
black version? you're just teasing aren't you. OT, but what happened with the Arduino, I'm sure there was some noise on your site about it?
The black nanos are currently only available in Japan, i think...

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:06 pm

stutter wrote:OT, but what happened with the Arduino, I'm sure there was some noise on your site about it?
We've been building things for about a year now, on and off. There should be an update coming real soon :D
- "none of that flimsy plastic crap" - how's that for an update?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

stutter

Post by stutter » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:24 pm

well, if you require a beta tester, feel free to ship it over to me. And good luck with it.

I saw this not long ago and was excited, but the led block appears to be one piece - I had planned to dismantle it and attach it to larger pads or buttons

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:40 am

on the nanopad, I did alter the velocity curve it didn't make a difference. If they already had the technology in the padkontrol I don't know why they had to change it up and make a shittier/smaller/less responsive pad for the nanopad.

Just because its more compact doesn't mean it has to be a cheap unusable toy.

MartinOM28V

Post by MartinOM28V » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 am

I like it for the price. I can put all 3 in my backpack for less weight and bulk than an M-Audio controller and use it to compose while I'm traveling. I never use it at home but it works great for just mopshing around in a hotel room.

Yes, I think I just made up "mopshing."
iMac 3.4 GHz i7 12GB/Apogee Duet 2/Event ASP8/AKAI MPK61/Ableton Suite 8/Logic Pro 9/Waves Platinum/Komplete 7/Amplitube 3/Omnisphere/Stylus RMX/Trilian

misteron

Post by misteron » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:39 am

Are the transport functions on the nanoPAD freely assignable?
I know they are on the nanoKontrol...
MBP 2.4GHz, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.5, Live7Suite, Motu Ultralite Mk3, ADAM p11A

condra

Post by condra » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am

Anyone know when the black Nanos are shipping??

totakeke

Post by totakeke » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:53 pm

Is it possible to set up a nanopad to control 48 different clips in live with the scene selection, or is each scene sending the same midi notes and i would have to use the editor to assign each pad.

Thanks,
Frank

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 pm

totakeke wrote:Is it possible to set up a nanopad to control 48 different clips in live with the scene selection, or is each scene sending the same midi notes and i would have to use the editor to assign each pad.

Thanks,
Frank

It'll work out of the box exactly as you need. Each pad is sending a different MIDI note per scene. Of course, you also have the option of changing those to send CCs per pad, per scene. But not CCs and MIDI notes at the same time. :wink:

I love my nanos. Bought one of each. In fact, I bought 2 of the nanoKontrols. Love having access to all my track faders without having to do a scene/bank change.