BEST Christmas gift I've ever gotten!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smutek

BEST Christmas gift I've ever gotten!

Post by smutek » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:03 am

My wife and I drove down to Rehoboth Beach yesterday to spend Christmas day with my Mom. We showed up, said hello and started chatting.

So, you know, my wife and my mom are doing the the initial "so what's been going on, how ya been" type of chat. A minute or so into the conversation my Mom say's, "Well, I haven't smoked in over a month...."

I was completely blown away, my wife and I both. My Mom is 60 years old and has been smoking 1-2 packs a day since she was 15. Like 45 years man.

And she quit.

She's also gotten a clean bill of health from her doctor.

I worry about my Mom, she's lived a hard life and she's a strong woman, but I didn't think she would ever stop smoking.

I could not ask for a better gift, only that next year she will still be smoke free, and that I will have quit as well.

Totally inspiring man. I'm going to try again this month.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:03 am

Tobacco profits got to republicans and horrible primate research.

These lil' tidbits really helped urge my gf away from the habit...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:08 am

ain't nothing that a wank and a glass of water can't fix.

yeah, it's pretty horrific seeing elderly people smoke, it has to make a difference, then again some smokers live forever.

I quit (again) a few years ago and finally broke through to the other side, don't miss it a bit. there's nothing good about it, and these days a $5 pack ain't worth it. you could save the money and gradually buy the whole line of Korg Nano controllers in short time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

condra

Post by condra » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:04 am

Congrats man. She's given herself the gift of better health, and hopefully given you more years with her to treasure.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:47 pm

The cool thing is that our bodies always renew cells etc. So even when you've smoked for ages there will be an immediate improvement in health! Great news!

Yo Smutek go buy the Allen Carr book he has some brilliant observations (for example, it doesn't take willpower to stop) that helped me get off the dreaded tobacco plant.

:D

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:15 pm

Good stuff!

Amazing what a bit of discipline, unselfishness, and personal pride in one's health will do.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:59 pm

its good - but older people who've been smoking a long time do need to be careful

My dad gave up "almost" completely for a month then got pneumonia and dropped dead at 56 - would have been a fairly normal chest infection for people who hadn't smoked for 40 years

when the ambulance guys arrived the guy said "man, it always seems to be when they've just quit smoking"

good that the doctor gave her a clean bill though, but definitely I'd say she needs to be extra careful during the damp winter months which is when it got my dad

just to throw in my my slightly-alarmist-but-not-without-foundation 2c
(sorry 8O )