Is London a good place to live ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:44 am

condra wrote:DO IT! UK is a cool country. Let us know how you get on.
+1 the people are wicked.
*** Image GAFM ***

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:21 pm

SubFunk wrote:
j2j wrote:
if it is for the music business, GO...
man how much i miss the clubs in london.... cause they suck so much here in berlin, no class, NO GOOD SOUND!!!, no good bars (general service & offer on drinks), no style... no dressed up sexy woman, in london you have underground music with that! plus the english are party people, germans are big fat bores.

berlin electronic music mecca? my ass. it's cheap punk ass rubbish. even it's my hometown.... i have to say like i feel.
Its funny i know a few record label owners & djs in London who say the complete oposite, they say London is very trendy & berlin is much better for music. I gues it depends in what you like they are into deep house & techno.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:59 pm

navitus wrote:noisetonepause :
I am from Pakistan and live here at the moment... The current government is fucked up, the country is in chaos, bombs going off everywhere, crime rate off the charts, war in certain areas, India about to attack etc etc..... i'm getting really depressed here.
Oh definitely - Pakistan is probably in my top two of places I want to live for a few years to pick up some languages, but it's just not going to happen right now with the situation like what it is.
But some of the music I've heard has just had this fuck-this-shitty-place-and-let's-PLAY attitude, absolute magic. It's been a while since I've heard that from London, all the supposedly fresh stuff coming out of London seems so me-too. Maybe I'm just listening to the wrong stuff.
I do not know what the atmosphere is like for a Pakistani Muslim in the west at the moment and i do not know how welcoming society will be to me.
I wish I could say come here, but really, don't. Copenhagen is a great city to live in, and there's a pretty vibrant scene for a lot of things here if you dig at and make the right friends, but I don't know what the fuck is going on with my countrymen, people have been catching islamophobia here like it was a Damascus stomach flu...
I've felt like moving more than once, but I don't think it's much better anywhere else in Europe. At least that's what hitchhiking through Germany, the Benelux and France a few years ago suggested.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:12 pm

I've lived in London for 9 years. I love it! There i just so much going on. Sure ther'es some pretty rough areas/crime etc, but tell me a city that doesn't have crime issues of some sort? I also done loads of different jobs here. Everything fom working in bars and restaurants to my current job working in an ofice. I've never earnt a huge amount of money but I've always managed.

If you've never been, then there is only one way to find out?!

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:52 pm

navitus wrote:I do not know what the atmosphere is like for a Pakistani Muslim in the west at the moment and i do not know how welcoming society will be to me.
Well, speaking as a Londoner, I'd say that most people in London couldn't care less where you're from or what religion you are. And most of us realise that most Muslims in the UK are opposed to the acts of violence committed in the name of Islam.

However, there are always exceptions. But whatever your race, religion, sexuality, class, dress code, etc. someone is no doubt going to take exception to you at some point.

But I don't think London is especially violent. Most violence is gang or vice related, so if you're not involved in those worlds it shouldn't affect you. OK, I have been mugged once, but I was walking through rough parts of London in the early hours of the morning while drunk. So if you're a little more careful you should generally be OK.

I've lived here for 20 years (mostly in Camden Town) and have no plans to go anywhere else...

Communities from different cultures congregate in various parts of London, so it's always an option to use one of these areas as a stepping stone - athough I know some people prefer not to.

London is crowded, smelly, expensive, noisy and unfriendly.
But you're gonna love it.
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Rosko wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
j2j wrote:
if it is for the music business, GO...
man how much i miss the clubs in london.... cause they suck so much here in berlin, no class, NO GOOD SOUND!!!, no good bars (general service & offer on drinks), no style... no dressed up sexy woman, in london you have underground music with that! plus the english are party people, germans are big fat bores.

berlin electronic music mecca? my ass. it's cheap punk ass rubbish. even it's my hometown.... i have to say like i feel.
Its funny i know a few record label owners & djs in London who say the complete oposite, they say London is very trendy & berlin is much better for music. I gues it depends in what you like they are into deep house & techno.
agreed, it depends on what you like, in short england and the english have less problems with it being a straight up business, berlin / germany does... that's why it is probably considered less trendy here, they think it's cool to be anti against everything... muppets.

my2cents
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:37 pm

I used to Live in Goldhawk Road btw, SubFunk.

Miss the sound of QPR at home on Saturdays? :D

Now, I work in London but wouldnt live there anymore, i have a family so I live in Sussex but work in London. Lived all over the town though...West; Sheperds Bush, Hammersmith. North; Hendon, Camden (Mornington Crescent anybody), South; Wimbeldon, Kingston, New Malden, Clapham and East; Commercial Road, Wapping.

Different vibes for each area and had a great time in each, but its a young mans game...Now, i want calm and quiet :lol:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:38 pm

robbmasters wrote:
navitus wrote:I do not know what the atmosphere is like for a Pakistani Muslim in the west at the moment and i do not know how welcoming society will be to me.
Well, speaking as a Londoner, I'd say that most people in London couldn't care less where you're from or what religion you are. And most of us realise that most Muslims in the UK are opposed to the acts of violence committed in the name of Islam.

However, there are always exceptions. But whatever your race, religion, sexuality, class, dress code, etc. someone is no doubt going to take exception to you at some point.

But I don't think London is especially violent. Most violence is gang or vice related, so if you're not involved in those worlds it shouldn't affect you. OK, I have been mugged once, but I was walking through rough parts of London in the early hours of the morning while drunk. So if you're a little more careful you should generally be OK.

I've lived here for 20 years (mostly in Camden Town) and have no plans to go anywhere else...

Communities from different cultures congregate in various parts of London, so it's always an option to use one of these areas as a stepping stone - athough I know some people prefer not to.

London is crowded, smelly, expensive, noisy and unfriendly.
But you're gonna love it.
you speak right out of my soul.

man, when i read that i start to remember and i start to have doubts that returning to my hometown berlin was the right move for me... damn, just realise how much i miss it.

being stuck here at least for a while with those ubercool germans, but that is probably why i have hardly any friends which are not from england or somewhere else living in berlin. i could not survive here being surounded by germans in my private circle.

:cry:
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 pm

UKRuss wrote:I used to Live in Goldhawk Road btw, SubFunk.

Miss the sound of QPR at home on Saturdays? :D

Now, I work in London but wouldnt live there anymore, i have a family so I live in Sussex but work in London. Lived all over the town though...West; Sheperds Bush, Hammersmith. North; Hendon, Camden (Mornington Crescent anybody), South; Wimbeldon, Kingston, New Malden, Clapham and East; Commercial Road, Wapping.

Different vibes for each area and had a great time in each, but its a young mans game...Now, i want calm and quiet :lol:
man, me right next to the shepperds bush green oposite the empire, only had 2 month in putney after my arrival... n a horrific council estate, in that fancy area!!!, but then again this is london, too. the left oposed to the right side of a street can mean a totally different universe.
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:45 pm

:lol: That is bad luck: To go to Putney and be in the shite. That's almost impossible to do.

navitus

Post by navitus » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Ok, so if i do move to the UK, how many of you will come to my WELCOME party and show me around town, take me to the right clubs etc ....... :)

oh btw, whats the scene with London and rats.........apparently too many rats in London!

and ofcourse, most important question, how tough is London for a guy trying to get DJing gigs......? How does one go about planning a DJ/Producer career in London/Europe ?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:07 am

navitus wrote: Yup, London is tough i do agree. Can u guys think of any other places which i should consider ?
I would pick London, but I only spent a week there, and thought it was pretty cool.

Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver, all come to mind. Your ethnicity is a selling point in these places, as they are very politically liberal, and open to ethnic tinged dance music. :)

Just be aware that at least in the USA you'll get some really strange comments occasionally. Read that as really redneck comments from people who do not look like rednecks. It'll all be friendly though. I would try to visit the places you want to live first.
Honestly, and no offense to Berliners here, I thought I would like it more than I did, and London less than I did.

navitus

Post by navitus » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:38 am

i am used to the eastcoast of the US, it was extremely liberal and comfy and never really experienced any racial/islamophobia kinda thing even post 911.

Only thing is that i really didnt have any skills/knowledge back then and couldnt really make it work for me. I feel more confident now about moving to the west again.

u guys are very encouraging and a great bunch!! cheers

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:16 am

:lol:...........................
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:58 am

navitus wrote:Ok, so if i do move to the UK, how many of you will come to my WELCOME party and show me around town, take me to the right clubs etc ....... :)

oh btw, whats the scene with London and rats.........apparently too many rats in London!

and ofcourse, most important question, how tough is London for a guy trying to get DJing gigs......? How does one go about planning a DJ/Producer career in London/Europe ?
The only rats you need to worry about in London have two legs, just stay street wise and you'll be fine.